HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2014, 09:09 PM
Joined Mar 2014
174 Posts
Question
3-d CAD program good for model aircraft design

I want to know a good CAD program that allows me to design a model plane in many pieces, then put it all together in a 3-D model. Anyone know of anything?Like these pictures illustrate
JakeL17 is offline Find More Posts by JakeL17
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2014, 11:28 PM
The Junk Man
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2006
1,678 Posts
There is a CAD/CAM forum where you might get more help.

There are a ton of different programs out there, costing from zero to many thousands.

Tom
T_om is online now Find More Posts by T_om
Old Aug 31, 2014, 06:38 PM
Joined Apr 2014
1 Posts
I use Solid Edge, Solid Works is also good
Old Billygoat is offline Find More Posts by Old Billygoat
Old Aug 31, 2014, 07:55 PM
Power Upward
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Jun 2007
1,371 Posts
I would agree with Old Billygoat, Solid Edge or Solidworks

George
GeorgeG97322 is offline Find More Posts by GeorgeG97322
Old Aug 31, 2014, 08:25 PM
ParkScaleModels
United States, PA, Loganville
Joined Feb 2002
4,238 Posts
I do all of my 3D design work in AutoCAD.
zbrubaker is offline Find More Posts by zbrubaker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shop remodeling continues...
Old Sep 01, 2014, 10:50 AM
Joined Sep 2014
4 Posts
I use SolidWorks but I'm not sure that it is the best for it. I know Catia does well with complex 3D surfacing which is basically all that airplanes have. Lol. I just happen to use SolidWorks at work so I'm very familiar with it.
SnowRocker88 is offline Find More Posts by SnowRocker88
Old Sep 01, 2014, 11:04 AM
The Junk Man
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2006
1,678 Posts
The very first thing we should have asked, but didn't, is "What is your budget"?

Some of the programs mentioned here start at $3500.00 and go up from there. Do you have that sort of budget to toss at toy airplanes?

Tom
T_om is online now Find More Posts by T_om
Old Sep 01, 2014, 11:14 AM
Joined Apr 2008
45 Posts
The problem is not finding the program the problem is using it properly. Surfacing and assembling will take a long time to learn. Well at least to do it the right way. Many people do it but they are doing it wrong. Like mentioned before some good ones are CATIA, CREO, master CAM, NX.
Cannibalcorpse is offline Find More Posts by Cannibalcorpse
Old Sep 01, 2014, 12:14 PM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
619 Posts
There's no one right way to do surfacing nor creating assemblies. So no sweat on learning The way. 3D cad takes some time, dedication and money. Of course There is the SketchUp and probably some other free programs. People Are using them quite succesfully. If You Can use the money. Solidworks is excellent for designing Model airplanes. So are Inventor and Catia. The last being crazy expensive. I guess what I'm saying is just pick one that feels good and prepare to spend some serious time watching Youtube tutorials and learning

Btw. There are free trial versions available for most of the big$ cad packages. Have a go with those First. If you are interested learning cad, go for it. Haven't met anyone that complained afterwards.

raipe
raipe is offline Find More Posts by raipe
Old Sep 01, 2014, 04:11 PM
Joined Mar 2014
174 Posts
Well I have access to autodesk inventor, and I am pretty fluent in that, but I can't see doing the applications I want to on there
Old Sep 01, 2014, 04:34 PM
Joined Sep 2014
4 Posts
Inventor is very similar to SolidWorks. I don't see you being able to do it much easier in SW vs Inventor. Catia has some better 3D surfacing tools but I'd think converting that to 2D ribs/formers would be a decent amount of work too. I work in SolidWorks designing DTFB planes and have pretty good luck with it. Give it a go in Inventor and you may surprise yourself with the right approach.
SnowRocker88 is offline Find More Posts by SnowRocker88
Old Sep 01, 2014, 10:19 PM
Joined Mar 2014
174 Posts
I've attempted a few planes in inventor before and everything turns out just god ugly, I want a program where I can shape the pieces 2-D then fit them in the 3-D puzzle, and vice versa. to me, rhinoceros seems pretty good. Is there anything like that that's cheaper?
Old Sep 01, 2014, 10:26 PM
Joined Mar 2014
174 Posts
And P.S. I am an experienced "paper and pencil" designer, and I just recently decided That the computer programs would be much better, so i'm not a novice
Old Sep 01, 2014, 11:19 PM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
619 Posts
You can check my blog for few models that I've created with Inventor. They are just solid models and still need to be sliced in to parts. If you have access to Inventor and experience with it. You are already half way there.

raipe
raipe is offline Find More Posts by raipe
Old Sep 02, 2014, 12:58 AM
Joined Mar 2014
174 Posts
Absolutely beautiful work on your models, the only thing I was thinking while looking at your pictures was how the hell did he do that? Great work