HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2014, 09:14 AM
Joined Jan 2014
144 Posts
Discussion
Skywing vs. Twisted 32" - similar or different?

OK, so this is not really supposed to be a which is best thread since that may be subjective but rather a which builds fastest and easiest thread.

There seem to be many similarities in these two company's offerings in the 32" EPP 3D range but a big price difference.

Does one gain any speed or ease of construction by going with the Twisted 32" planes vs. the Skywing 32" planes?

Can they both take the same battery / motor / servo systems?

Then there is crack vs. crack lite...is one more durable than the other?

THX
Kooshball is offline Find More Posts by Kooshball
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2014, 09:39 AM
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,628 Posts
Having never built a Skywing product----I don't know. The 32" Twisted porduct line I do know. The construction is straight forward, the durability good but the real reason I have built and flown 8 of their planes is the performance. I have been able to do things with my
Crack Yak, Pitts, SBach and Gym Star (my indoor favorite) that I had only imagined two years ago. Their power systems are what can be referred to as an "upgrade". Then there is the multitude of TH flyers that post their experfiences here on RC Groups.

The only complaint is they have a device implanted in my wallet that triggers the introduction of a new model.

RonJ
RonJ is offline Find More Posts by RonJ
Old Feb 24, 2014, 07:01 AM
Joined Jan 2014
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJ View Post

The only complaint is they have a device implanted in my wallet that triggers the introduction of a new model.

RonJ
I think that device has gotten out, I have it too for so many hobbies that it is getting troublesome!
Old Feb 24, 2014, 09:04 AM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJ View Post
Having never built a Skywing product----I don't know. The 32" Twisted porduct line I do know. The construction is straight forward, the durability good but the real reason I have built and flown 8 of their planes is the performance. I have been able to do things with my
Crack Yak, Pitts, SBach and Gym Star (my indoor favorite) that I had only imagined two years ago. Their power systems are what can be referred to as an "upgrade". Then there is the multitude of TH flyers that post their experfiences here on RC Groups.

RonJ
Thanks for the kind words Ron. I think that device might get a workout soon.
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old Feb 25, 2014, 09:19 AM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,294 Posts
I have 3 Twisted planes right now and had a 32" but it is long gone. They build rather quickly once you do the first one. Everything is notched and laid out so you cant really mees up the build. I had the 32" Sbach. I have the Mini Pitts, Turbo Beaver, and RC Factory 39" RS352. They all fly great. The Beaver is probably my favorite.

My first Skywing plane, 37.5" Slick, will be here on Thursday but, It's a full fuse. I have not had one of their profile planes. I will be getting a Red Bull at some point though.
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Feb 25, 2014, 04:53 PM
Joined Jan 2014
144 Posts
Thx all. I went with twisted!
Old Feb 25, 2014, 11:04 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Aug 2012
329 Posts
Kooshball
Welcome to the twisted family! My Dad got me a crack yak 2 years ago. I still fly that same plane as it flies just as good as the day he bought it for me. Might have a little more glue on it after the 500 or so crashes. I love their planes.
Benton
Benton3dflying is offline Find More Posts by Benton3dflying
Old Nov 16, 2014, 10:06 AM
Joined Jul 2011
43 Posts
You can't go wrong with your choice!

The Twisted Hobbies planes are GREAT and they have a huge following with many positive reviews and build threads, which does say something about the quality of their products.

I have flown a couple of the TH's planes and been very impressed, however have not pulled the trigger on purchasing one, as a couple $ short of $200 for a 32" foamy "cough!" (cost to buy one from Canada with shipping and lousy exchange rate), ...... is just a "little" too pricy for 'my blood' personally..

I did however pull the trigger on the Skywing 32" Slick (landed cost under $100 WITH motor, servos, esc and servo extension. (1/2 price of TH's 32" planes with power combo)

The Skywing Slick is 8mm EPP which is comparable to the TH's Lite series.

The quality of the 32" profile Skywing Slick kit and components is EXCELLENT and the supplied hardware and completeness of the kit is TOP NOTCH, even includes decent contact glue.
IMHO the landing gear on the Skywing kit is superior to that of the TH's models. (not that it's that important, as many leave out the LG altogether to save weight.)

The only thing in the Skywing build I did not personally like compared to the TH's kits, is all the carbon bracing struts.
Don't get me wrong! .... the carbon bracing makes for a very light and rigid EPP airframe, however the TH's build uses EPP strips along the fuse, which also helps hide some of the unsightly wires and connections.

My final conclusion:

On price, ......... Skywing wins hands down! (1/2 the price!) .....* Less than 1/2 price if you're in the US.
On completeness of kit, ......... Skywing also wins. (glue supplied, more hardware, Nice LG)
Stiffening of airframe, .........Twisted Hobbies wins here with a neater final result IMHO
Quality of printed graphics ......... Both Skywing and TH's are excellent. (printed both sides)
Difference in quality of EPP ........ I honestly have no idea! ..... they both appear to be the same, excellent!
Available models and designs ........ Twisted Hobbies has a lot more profile models. Skywing offers some VERY NICE full fuse EPP models.
Research & Development ........ Twisted Hobbies wins hands down.
Precision Flying ......... Twisted Hobbies is reportedly slightly better.

One cannot go wrong with ANY of these planes. Both will satisfy one's need for extreme 3D flight, it's just a matter of how much you are willing to spend

If I could get my hands on a Twisted Hobbies plane for a more reasonable price here in Canada (Hell will freeze over before that's likely to happen!), you can count on it, that I would have a few of their models in my hanger

In the meantime, I have to do with what I can afford and willing to pay. .... "it sucks, but it is what it is!"
stryker2 is offline Find More Posts by stryker2
Last edited by stryker2; Nov 16, 2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 12:14 PM
Citius, Altius, 3D
Sweden, Östergötland County, Linköping
Joined Oct 2012
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwojcik View Post
Thanks for the kind words Ron. I think that device might get a workout soon.
Oh no, here we go again. This is going to be interesting .

My bet is a mini Laser .

Cheers,
Leif
3dxspin is offline Find More Posts by 3dxspin
Old Nov 17, 2014, 04:43 PM
Joined Aug 2006
370 Posts
Don't forget Twisted Hobbies usually has a "black Friday" sale near the end of this month.
Garyss is offline Find More Posts by Garyss