SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 07, 2004, 01:41 PM
Irvine, CA
Joined Apr 2003
1,348 Posts
Help!
K&A Parkflyer MIG-15 Maiden...

Unfortunately was unsuccessful. Bummer.

This was my first time building such a kit. All my previous kits were rather simple foamy stuff. This K&A MIG took me a month to build (I'm used to just a few evenings of build time with those foamy kits). I was REALLY looking forward to a good maiden especially since I put so much time into building this kit, but alas it wasn't meant to be. The maiden was attempted via a hand launch. Two attempts. Two crashes.

Though it seems repairable, I think I'll just remove all the electronics and forgo the rebuild attempt.

Here are some before and after pics.

hk
hyperknight is offline Find More Posts by hyperknight
Last edited by hyperknight; Mar 07, 2004 at 01:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2004, 01:43 PM
Irvine, CA
Joined Apr 2003
1,348 Posts
Another pre-crash pic.
Old Mar 07, 2004, 01:45 PM
Irvine, CA
Joined Apr 2003
1,348 Posts
And of course, post crash pics.
Old Mar 07, 2004, 01:47 PM
Irvine, CA
Joined Apr 2003
1,348 Posts
Another post crash pic.
Old Mar 07, 2004, 01:51 PM
Ellington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Apr 2001
1,023 Posts
What was the AUW, and what motor and cells?
JimF is offline Find More Posts by JimF
Old Mar 07, 2004, 01:53 PM
orlando fl
Joined Oct 2000
5,714 Posts
Sorry to hear that it did not go well.

what did you end up with as far as AUW, total power input, fan, motor and pack? Curious about the power to weight. Also did you have someone lauch for you? I assume it just never got on step and just nosed in?
dave morris is offline Find More Posts by dave morris
Old Mar 07, 2004, 02:02 PM
Irvine, CA
Joined Apr 2003
1,348 Posts
Jim,

AUW was about 28oz. For power, I had a vasa 65 fan unit mated to a MEGA 16/15/3 running on a 10 cell kan 1050's. Pretty much the recommended power setup.

Dave,

On my first attempt, I hl'd it myself. It kind of went straight then spiraled to the right. I was lucky as it crashed flat on it's belly so there wasn't any real damage. On the second attempt, I had my friend toss it. Unfortunately, it was on the second one when it went nose in. As you stated, it just couldn't get the initial speed to get on step. Though it is possible, I think hand launching this kit is very difficult. Best to go with a bungee launcher.

hk
Old Mar 07, 2004, 09:51 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,937 Posts
28 oz, yikes! Yeah that might be tough without a mighty throw. The Wattage jets weigh something like 18 to 21 oz I think. I have the K&A F-86, still have yet to build it. Yours is as far as I can remember the first build or flying thread on these jets that I can remember but then it's been a while since they came out. I guess maybe for hand launching the key is light weight. I noticed in my kit that the sheeting for the wings is 1/16". Unless it's super light I think that's too thick, so I planned to use 1/32 balsa and monokote the surfaces to save weight. Actually I'd use Ultracoat Light clear and then paint it like I did my scratchbuilt A-10. I wonder if you gained a lot of weight by glassing the surfaces and filling with primer? I'm a primer happy modeler and I've built some pics in my time in search of that ultra smooth surface.

Sorry to hear about your bad launch. I'll have to weigh my unbuilt kit to get an idea about power. Lipos will probably come in handy to save a couple of ounces.
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Mar 07, 2004, 10:29 PM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
Sorry man. Fix it! I've had far worse. Then put a bungee hook on it. IMO you should have never tried hand launching. Bad idea.

You did a great job on it so fix her up and try again.

Best of luck!

Steve
U812 is offline Find More Posts by U812
Old Mar 07, 2004, 11:07 PM
Irvine, CA
Joined Apr 2003
1,348 Posts
Ed,

I was seriously contemplating whether to go lipoly or not. I normally only fly my other foamy stuff strickly on lipoly's, but when I took a look at the K&A unit it appeared lipolys which can sustain 18+ amps would be too big to fit thus I went the "stock" route for the battery pack. Had I gone with say an irate 3S 2200mAh pack, it would have saved at least 4oz off the AUW.

Steve,

Had the plane crashed due to pilot error, I would whole heartedly fix her. However, since the problem seems to be with the weight of it (basically, I built it too heavy), I don't think fixing her will result in a different outcome. Perhaps if I were to bungee it but I'm trying to stay away from bungee required planes.

I still have the "MIG" bug in me and since I have this nice fan with a MEGA 16/15/3 I think I'll try my luck with Kamdax MIG.

hk
Old Mar 08, 2004, 12:05 AM
Nickel what?
Prescott, Arizona, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,365 Posts
make the mods to fit lipos, get a hole saw and put 'er on a diet lol. It'll fly, she just needs coaxing - no need to give in.
Phreakish is offline Find More Posts by Phreakish
Old Mar 09, 2004, 08:52 PM
So. Cal
Joined May 2003
93 Posts
I was there....

As a witness to the carnage.... HK is right in the sense that this bird very if not too heavy. So much so that there was no way to get any initial velocity to even give her a chance to get underway.

I feel bad about the loss, but you gotta take the good and the bad, right HK?
dlee is offline Find More Posts by dlee