SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 06, 2013, 04:50 PM
Joined Nov 2010
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RYBAT View Post
This all boils down to this forum providing better details, more realistic information and a better flight experience than DIY...period!
Well, could be, but I sure would have some doubts reading many of the latest comments. Here are some exerpts:
"... you will never get a grasp on reality",
"Whoa!! Hold on Buck O...",
"If Bobby stops walking....Do you run into him?"
Come on Big Boy... Step up to the Plate and take a swing...”

Better details, more realistic information and a better flight experience, eh? And this because of what, exactly? Hmmm….
Seems like Robert Lebfevre made two points in two comments:

First he responded to a point on testing the mag, and stated that you do not need to fly just in simple mode to test the magnetometer, any mode will do the same yaw controller integrating the mag is used.
Seems to me to be pretty good info … Or to put it another way: Detail, realistic and ultimately leading to a better flight experience ,…

Then, in response to a user asking about twisting arms, he suggested reading up of asymmetry of lift. This again seems to be quite pertinent, especially with flat arms or when dealing with excessive vibration.

That’s when, apparently, a need came out to go on and on about the inexistence of asymmetry of lift in multi-rotors, complete with banners full of red and green and old pictures of self made helis. To his credit Rob stuck to the facts, but you kept going on, gradually descending in personal attacks and ad hominems when it was obvious your point was simply invalid.

I do not understand this defensiveness and aggressivity , even less from someone who is actually benefitting financially from reselling an import of a clone of an open source hardware implementation, running open source software that Rob is personally contributing to.

Meanwhile, I’ll take “… Period!” assertions with a grain of salt, given the general credibility picture offered by the comments mentioned above, along with the failed defense of a plain false technical assertion.
jdennings is offline Find More Posts by jdennings
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2013, 05:04 PM
Turkey, Istanbul
Joined Oct 2012
415 Posts
What you guys think of this new GPS unit for apm 2.5 or 2.6: http://www.goodluckbuy.com/u-blox-6-...ontroller.html

a review : http://coolrc.wordpress.com/2013/09/...s-receiver-is/

waiting for your comments or info about it pls
gur75 is offline Find More Posts by gur75
Old Nov 06, 2013, 05:14 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gur75 View Post
What you guys think of this new GPS unit for apm 2.5 or 2.6: http://www.goodluckbuy.com/u-blox-6-...ontroller.html

Here's some information about how to choose a GPS. Personally, I would go with something tried and true, but any GPS receiver of similar specs should behave in a similar way - and if nobody has tried it, you'll be the one to do that, and be sure to report back to us about how well you think it's working.

That unit is basically the same one used in the Blade 350QX, and it seems to perform quite well in most cases on the 350QX. It is prone to interference from cameras and stuff, just like any other GPS unit, but I haven't heard of any unusual problems with it. Seems to lock pretty quickly too.

On the page I linked, you'll see a couple other units which use the same module - that should help understand the features and how it compares to other modules. The "packaging" on the unit you linked is very nice - the GPS mast and all that looks easy to deal with.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Nov 06, 2013, 05:15 PM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,483 Posts
deleted
jabram is offline Find More Posts by jabram
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jabram; Nov 09, 2013 at 02:07 AM.
Old Nov 06, 2013, 05:15 PM
Quit Cryin and Get Flyin
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined May 2013
1,691 Posts
Quote:

Well I've been flying the CN06 version 2 for close to a year as well as anybody else who bought the RCtimer board/telemetry radio kit. It's a great GPS in my opinion and I just flew 4 batteries today in a fairly confined space (now that the RV resort is filling up for the winter) almost completely in loiter with 5 RTL's with auto landings without a hitch.

I am anxiously awaiting my CN06 plus but I'm content to keep flying the version 2 as long as I have to. It's never let me down in well over 1500 flights probably 1000 of which easily had missions and/or return to launch and the vast majority of those 1500 involved loiter which would be directly controlled by the GPS.

My only concern would be for a few dollars more you could get the CN06+ from RCtimer or UAV objects and have your magnetometer up with your GPS, a more advanced version of the CN 06 that's already been loaded with the proper script etc.

That's my only comment
Quadmd is offline Find More Posts by Quadmd
Old Nov 06, 2013, 05:17 PM
Arducopter Developer
Joined Oct 2010
2,396 Posts
Quote:
I'll have to verify on my next flights, but IIRC from last weekend, from Acro to Stab resulted in a yaw shift to the right. Stab back to Acro was no change. Acro back to Stab was another yaw shift to the right...I think. I noticed this same behaviour with 2.9.1b AFTER I did a compass calibration. I'm now using 3.1 rc5 with the same results. If I didn't do a compass calibration there was no yaw change from Acro to Stab...with 2.9.1b. I'm going to reset my rc5 to defaults and then reload only the Autotune values without doing a compass calibration to see what it does.
Honestly, I think the compass calibration thing is a red herring here. I'd be surprised if it had any effect on this issue.

The Rate Yaw Imax is probably defaulting to 800, which might not be enough if your frame is twisted at all. And Tricopters, it's almost certainly not enough. I would try increasing it to 2500.

My feeling is that you have a yaw rate error, something is trying to turn the copter (Tris and Helis always do this, regardless of frame straightness), and your Imax is too small. It gets complicated from there but I can go further if you really want.

It's possible my helicopter does this too, but when switch from Acro to Stab I always get an jump in altitude too as it switches Idle_ups at the same time, so I'm not paying attention to the yaw. I also tend to use very high Imaxes which would hide it anyway.
R_Lefebvre is offline Find More Posts by R_Lefebvre
Old Nov 06, 2013, 05:41 PM
Turkey, Istanbul
Joined Oct 2012
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gervais View Post

Thanks for the info gervais. So this is the HMC5883L 3-Axis Digital Compass Module as far as I understood mounted nicely like in Phantom. So where to find this mount? I want to mount it on IFLY4 frame`s leg on an APM 2.6 BY USING THIS GPS http://www.goodluckbuy.com/u-blox-6-...ontroller.html

GPS is no problem, all I want is to mount the external compass in a neat way without using AVDome as I want to keep IFLY4 frame as it is..

I would be happy to have some help and opinions on this matter from you guys.

Thanks
Old Nov 06, 2013, 05:45 PM
Turkey, Istanbul
Joined Oct 2012
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Here's some information about how to choose a GPS. .
Very informative info for me. Thank you jasmine. All I need is a good GPS with a nice mount and this one is a new and very neatly designed with its cover and etc..

All I need is right now how to mount external compass module on an IFLY4 frame with an APM 2.6 as in Phantom to the leg.
Old Nov 06, 2013, 05:50 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Very informative info for me. Thank you jasmine. All I need is a good GPS with a nice mount and this one is a new and very neatly designed with its cover and etc..

All I need is right now how to mount external compass module on an IFLY4 frame with an APM 2.6 as in Phantom to the leg.
Well that's why you should take a look at the CN-06 plus, as suggested. It has the compass on it.

http://www.rctimer.com/product_1007.html - it's only a little bit more money.
Old Nov 06, 2013, 05:53 PM
United States, CT
Joined Mar 2011
1,041 Posts
I'm waiting for the U-blox 7 with an external mag ... somebody has got to be working on that
AlPackin is offline Find More Posts by AlPackin
Old Nov 06, 2013, 06:02 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Lefebvre View Post
Honestly, I think the compass calibration thing is a red herring here. I'd be surprised if it had any effect on this issue.

The Rate Yaw Imax is probably defaulting to 800, which might not be enough if your frame is twisted at all. And Tricopters, it's almost certainly not enough. I would try increasing it to 2500.

My feeling is that you have a yaw rate error, something is trying to turn the copter (Tris and Helis always do this, regardless of frame straightness), and your Imax is too small. It gets complicated from there but I can go further if you really want.

It's possible my helicopter does this too, but when switch from Acro to Stab I always get an jump in altitude too as it switches Idle_ups at the same time, so I'm not paying attention to the yaw. I also tend to use very high Imaxes which would hide it anyway.
I'll give this a try. Like I mentioned, I have the same issue on both my Tri and Quad. I first noticed it in my quad when I did the CompassMOT with rc4. I backed up to 2.9.1b, didn't do the CompassMOT and didn't calibrate the mag and had no issues. When I calibrated the mag the yaw shift returned. So I reset to defaults, reset the PIDs and didn't do the Mag Cal or CompassMOT and no more yaw shift with Acro to Stab change...and it holds loiter just fine with no TBE.

Same on my Tricopter...never noticed the yaw shift (and it is noticeable) with 2.9.1b and no CompassMOT or Mag calibration. After installing rc5, doing Mag Cal and Autotune the yaw shift is there. I can't retest right now as I'm replacing bearings in one of the Tri's motors and the new bearings haven't arrived. More 'xperimenting to do...
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2013, 06:05 PM
Turkey, Istanbul
Joined Oct 2012
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Well that's why you should take a look at the CN-06 plus, as suggested. It has the compass on it.

http://www.rctimer.com/product_1007.html - it's only a little bit more money.
I got you jasmine2501 BUT is there a cover for this unit? I want to use apm 2.6 ona an IFLY4 frame: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ller_pnf_.html

And I want to have a neat look with GPS unit covered. (if possible compass in it ofcourse) HOWEVER most of the compass GPS combos as you had suggested do not have a cover.

That is why I thought of buying a gps with cover and buy the external compass separetly and mount it to the leg as in DJI Phantom, Wlakera 350 etc.. and than I asked this question like anyone has any idea how to mount external compass with a cover to the leg of IFLY4 frames leg or any quads leg..

If there is a cover for the GPS Compass unit you and everyone suggests I ll go for it but cant find any.. I wish I had a 3d printer and design my own
Old Nov 06, 2013, 06:48 PM
Arducopter Developer
Joined Oct 2010
2,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
I'll give this a try. Like I mentioned, I have the same issue on both my Tri and Quad. I first noticed it in my quad when I did the CompassMOT with rc4. I backed up to 2.9.1b, didn't do the CompassMOT and didn't calibrate the mag and had no issues. When I calibrated the mag the yaw shift returned. So I reset to defaults, reset the PIDs and didn't do the Mag Cal or CompassMOT and no more yaw shift with Acro to Stab change...and it holds loiter just fine with no TBE.

Same on my Tricopter...never noticed the yaw shift (and it is noticeable) with 2.9.1b and no CompassMOT or Mag calibration. After installing rc5, doing Mag Cal and Autotune the yaw shift is there. I can't retest right now as I'm replacing bearings in one of the Tri's motors and the new bearings haven't arrived. More 'xperimenting to do...
What you are flying now, rc4 and rc5, both use my new Acro mode, which has this separate integration of yaw errors. 2.9, IIRC, didn't have a true acro mode, and I believe it used the same yaw error tracker as the other modes: nav_yaw.

So that makes sense.

But I really think the whole compassmot and mag calibration thing has no connection at all. If you can do A-B-A and submit logs of that, that would help. Or a video at least.
R_Lefebvre is offline Find More Posts by R_Lefebvre
Old Nov 06, 2013, 06:48 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Apr 2013
1,296 Posts
It would be great if we could all coexist on this thread... Everyone has something valuable to contribute as has been shown on this last page.
Violet Wolf is online now Find More Posts by Violet Wolf
Old Nov 06, 2013, 07:32 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
I got you jasmine2501 BUT is there a cover for this unit? I want to use apm 2.6 ona an IFLY4 frame: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ller_pnf_.html
Kinda small but ok...

There is this, but it kinda won't work with that frame... http://www.rctimer.com/product_1017.html

Quote:
And I want to have a neat look with GPS unit covered. (if possible compass in it ofcourse) HOWEVER most of the compass GPS combos as you had suggested do not have a cover.
Yeah I'm with ya on that, I like things all buttoned up.

Quote:
That is why I thought of buying a gps with cover and buy the external compass separetly and mount it to the leg as in DJI Phantom, Wlakera 350 etc.. and than I asked this question like anyone has any idea how to mount external compass with a cover to the leg of IFLY4 frames leg or any quads leg..

If there is a cover for the GPS Compass unit you and everyone suggests I ll go for it but cant find any..
Yeah this is a good idea, it seems to work on all those other ones. The 350QX has it like that too.

Quote:
I wish I had a 3d printer and design my own
Yeah I hear that. You could design one and have it printed though. If you have a makers club in your area, maybe they could help?