SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 27, 2013, 06:00 PM
Will Get There!
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2013
23 Posts
Discussion
Ready to order components for 1st Quad, opinions.

So I've decided to go this way for my 1st Quad, here are the components I have selected, please check if something is missing, apart from the battery charger:

1 x Hobbyking SK450 Glass Fiber Quadcopter Frame 450mm
4 x NTM Prop Drive Series 28-26 1100kv / 300w (short shaft version)
4 x NTM Prop Drive 28 Series Accessory Pack
4 x Turnigy Multistar 30 Amp Multi-rotor Brushless ESC 2-4S (OPTO)
1 x Turnigy 5A (8-26v) SBEC for Lipo
4 x 10x4.5 SF Props 2pc Standard Rotation/2 pc RH Rotation (Black) --- Ordering some spare ones!
1 x Hobbyking KK2.0 Multi-rotor LCD Flight Control Board
1 x 10CM Male to Male Servo Lead (JR) 26AWG (10pcs/set)
1 x Turnigy 9XR Transmitter Mode 1 (No Module)
1 x Turnigy 9XR Safety Protected 11.1v (3s) 2200mAh 1.5C Transmitter Pack
2 x Turnigy nano-tech 3300mah 3S 35~70C Lipo Pack
1 x HXT 4mm to 4 X 3.5mm bullet Multistar ESC Power Breakout Cable
1 x Gyro / Flight Controller Mounting Pad (10pcs/bag)
1 x H-King Cellmeter-6 Lipo/Life/Li-ion Cell Checker & Alarm
1 x Turnigy Battery Strap 330mm
1 x FrSky DF 2.4Ghz Combo Pack for JR w/ Module & RX
1 x FrSky FLD-02 Telemetry Display Screen
1 x FrSky Battery Voltage Sensor - FrSky Telemetry System
1 x Turnigy Accucel-6 50W 6A Balancer/Charger w/ accessories

Main doubts:

- Will I need anything else to assemble the whole thing? Any missing cable or connectors for example?

- Is the combo motors/ESCs/props a good choice?

- I'm not sure on the FrSky tx/rx with telemetry, basically initially I would like to be able to monitor my battery level, is it possible with this setup or do I need to add anything else?

- I need a battery charger, any good suggestion on that one (from HK if possible, to order all together)?
pMichel is offline Find More Posts by pMichel
Last edited by pMichel; Jun 28, 2013 at 01:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2013, 06:12 PM
serial scratchbuilder
Canada, BC, Mission
Joined Sep 2012
1,399 Posts
Get a spare frame or arms, you'll need them. Shrink-tube, double-sided tape, nylon ties, and loctite blue couldn't hurt either. The telemetry screen is a waste of money, you'll never look at it and the 9x can be easily modded to display telemetry once flashed with er9x. You'll need a voltage sensor and sensor-hub if you wish to display voltage but an alarm is cheaper and harder to miss. Get an adjustable lipo alarm, the one with lcd display. The $2 2/4s unit goes off way early but is better than nothing.
Get 30a escs (20a is borderline for those motors) and some other prop sizes to play with.
Granted is online now Find More Posts by Granted
Old Jun 27, 2013, 06:37 PM
Will Get There!
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2013
23 Posts
I will get the tape, ties, etc... locally yes.

Which adjustable lipo alarm do you suggest then?
Basically I would like something which could send to the ground an alert of low battery and I would get an audible alarm from my radio, any simple way to do this?

And regarding the charger?
Old Jun 27, 2013, 07:20 PM
serial scratchbuilder
Canada, BC, Mission
Joined Sep 2012
1,399 Posts
Something like this: http://dx.com/p/2-in-1-1-8s-lipo-bat...e-black-180468 pretty sure HK has something comparable.
FRsky telemetry should do what you want but you're going to have to research it, I don't have that answer. Accucell 6 works fine for me.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 03:33 AM
Will Get There!
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2013
23 Posts
Thanks for the advice on the Accuccell 6, that's the one I was thinking about.

For the battery alarm, something like that?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ker_Alarm.html

I'm trying to find out the way to do it with the FrSky telemetry stuff, but not sure yet...

I might change the ESCs to the 30A version, but if I go for the OPTO ones, which other accessories will I then need to power the rest of the components?
Old Jun 28, 2013, 05:18 AM
serial scratchbuilder
Canada, BC, Mission
Joined Sep 2012
1,399 Posts
That alarm should work fine. You don't really need to change the escs but going to the 30a gives you the option of running 4s if you desire the extra performance. If you go opto you'll need a UBEC.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 12:55 PM
Joined May 2013
47 Posts
hey I got a sk450 fame from hobby king, works great but didn't have the hex key in the box
just to let u know

good luck mate
Tank10111 is online now Find More Posts by Tank10111
Old Jun 28, 2013, 01:33 PM
Will Get There!
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2013
23 Posts
1st post updated after investigating a little bit more:

- Removed the 20A ESCs and added these:
4 x Turnigy Multistar 30 Amp Multi-rotor Brushless ESC 2-4S (OPTO)
1 x Turnigy 5A (8-26v) SBEC for Lipo

- Added this battery alarm:
1 x H-King Cellmeter-6 Lipo/Life/Li-ion Cell Checker & Alarm

- Completed the FrSky setup in order to get a battery alarm on the ground, but not sure yet if I will order this now.

- Added this charger:
1 x Turnigy Accucel-6 50W 6A Balancer/Charger w/ accessories
Any recommendation on the power supply for this one?

Does the whole thing looks better now?
Old Jun 28, 2013, 02:13 PM
WZ9V, AMA 409852
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Jan 2007
1,423 Posts
Are you willing to flash the ESC?

If so get the Hobby King F series or Blue Series (NFETs/external oscillator) and flash with SimonK. The reading I've done says that combo is better than the MultiStars. I'm using the 20Amp Blue Series flashed with SimonK in my current build. I have not used the MultiStars just going by what I've read on the forums.

You will have to diasble the BEC though but thats just pulling positive/negative from the servo connector.
dfruehwald is offline Find More Posts by dfruehwald
Old Jun 28, 2013, 03:03 PM
we dont NEED roads!
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Aug 2012
3,423 Posts
The Frsky telemetry screen has a programmable battery alarm. You will have to do some research to figure out how to set it up and fine-tune it. But you can make the FrSky module beep when battery reaches a specified level.

This requires the use of the FrSky battery level sensor and you have to use a Telemetry capable FrSky receiver with the A1 & A2 telemetry ports.
AcroFPV is online now Find More Posts by AcroFPV
Old Jun 28, 2013, 05:33 PM
Joined May 2013
50 Posts
You'll need to get power to the bec somehow. You could either put a male jst connector on the bec and get the Power distributon board instead of a breakout cable so you can plug it into the connector that's mounted there, or just solder the wires to the breakout cable.
remolic is offline Find More Posts by remolic
Old Jun 28, 2013, 06:08 PM
Will Get There!
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2013
23 Posts
Is this power distribution board with 4x20A suitable for the system?

Otherwise which connector do I need exactly?
Old Jun 28, 2013, 06:14 PM
Quads, 4 times the fun.
Australia, NSW, Brookvale
Joined Apr 2011
731 Posts
I have almost that exact quad. I've been thinking of swapping to a 4S battery with 8" props to get more acrobatic performance. Since you haven't listed any FPV gear I assume line of sight flying, which means you'll get bored and want to try arcobatics sooner or later.

F30A ESCs with simonk firmware are worth the effort to obtain. You can find preflashed ones on ebay if flashing them yourself seems too hard. I couldn't get my PIDs set properly until I got simonk ESCs, now there is a huge range of rock solid values.

You're way over thinking the battery monitor. Use the KK2 inbuilt one or get this monitor. Since you're flying LOS the quad will never be too far away so battery monitoring isn't really that important. Even a timer that beeps after 8 mins or so is enough to remind you to come and land, just time a hover flight and subtract a couple of mins.

Last thing you need is a power supply for the battery charger. Anything that supplies 12-15V DC at 3-5A is ok, again check ebay for some cheap units.

Thinking about my own experience, this is quite a big quad and it was quite intimidating to learn on. I actually shelved mine and went back to planes. Until I bought a Walkera Ladybird! The ladybird was really fun to fly in my living room and I got a lot of confidence with flying nose-in and circles and stuff. It never got damaged in a crash and was a great learning experience. I easily applied my new skills to the bigger quad once my confidence was high. Seriously think about getting a micro quad to start, they're heaps of fun.
rogueqd is online now Find More Posts by rogueqd
Last edited by rogueqd; Jun 28, 2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 06:34 PM
Will Get There!
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2013
23 Posts
FPV is the way I want to go, but gradually.

I will have a look at the 30A, you're not the 1st one giving this idea.

I will go simple for the battery alarm for now yes.

Thks.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 06:40 PM
WZ9V, AMA 409852
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Jan 2007
1,423 Posts
Get yourself a USBASP adapter and the Atmel socket adapter. Piece of cake with those two parts and the KK Multitool. The two parts will run you about $25 and your set for all your ESC flashing needs.

The Blue Series also works really well with SimonK firmware, I'm using them because they are a bit smaller and lighter but they do cost a bit more and do not have the programming pads in a row like the F-30A. The socket tool means you don't need the pads though.
dfruehwald is offline Find More Posts by dfruehwald