SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 01, 2013, 01:32 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2011
648 Posts
Discussion
How do I remove the flex shaft?

Just got a Pirhana 600 from Hobbyking and want to remove the flex shaft to grease it but can't get it out. I've undone what I thought was holding it in (see photo) but it won't pull out. This is my first real boat as normally I'm a plane guy. Any tips would be appreciated.
BrettAltea is offline Find More Posts by BrettAltea
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2013, 05:00 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,120 Posts
Hi Brett,

I'm not familiar with this type of strut, but it's possible the solid shaft holding the prop, has a square hole accepting the flexshaft.

If this is the case, you'll have to remove the motor and pull the shaft into the boat.

Not the most consumer friendly construction, as you'll need to allign the motor after every flexshaft maintenance (which is after every day of running the boat).

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Mar 01, 2013, 05:22 AM
Joined Aug 2011
648 Posts
I think I'll drip some Teflon oil down the shaft to see if it slides better.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 07:15 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,120 Posts
Hi Brett,

When loosening the collet, the three parts that do the acual clamping may have made markings on the flexshaft, 'fixating' it in position.

See if you can use a small screwdriver to silghtly widen the gaps, releasing the flexshaft.
Try pulling while turning the prop clockwise.

Regards, Jan.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 08:40 AM
Gordonsville,Virginia
Joined Nov 2009
335 Posts
If it's a two piece shaft you will need to remove the strut . But most times the flex shaft is just stuck because cheap coupler will not release the shaft . A pare of vice grips and small hammer will do the job . Attach the vice grips to the drive dog and tap it out .
highflyerbill is offline Find More Posts by highflyerbill
Old Mar 01, 2013, 11:57 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,506 Posts
The Hobby King boats are notorious for using the 2 piece drives. The prop shaft is basically held captive inside the strut with a square hole that the square end of the flex cable slides into.
After you remove the strut you should be able to remove the flex cable.
bill34207 is offline Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12 o'clock high 2014
Old Mar 01, 2013, 04:40 PM
Joined Aug 2011
648 Posts
Thanks for all your help. It turns out that the metal end that the prop attaches to narrows as it goes through the metal bit that attaches to the boat that can change the prop angle (no idea what it's called but its in the attached picture). There was no square end and it comes out easily enough when I remove this. Now I take it, as there are no instructions, that I should remove the shaft after each session and lube it up before I run it again? Any other tips I should know? Obviously use hatch tape too.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 05:33 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,120 Posts
Hi Brett,

The part that holds the propshaft is called a strut.

Having to remove it in order to lube the shaft is a horrible solution, as the setting of the propshaft angle needs to be done every time the strut is placed back...
Not a user friendly construction, which can reek havoc with the running attitude of the boat.

As a flexshaft is made out of spring steel, which will rust when you just look at it, taking it out of the boat, drying it and relube it, is mandatory.

Just forget the maintenance for a week and discover the shaft has rusted solid the next time you want to run your boat...

Regards, Jan.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 08:54 PM
Joined Aug 2011
648 Posts
Ah thanks Jan. Now Bills post makes more sense - helps to know what a strut is