SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:01 AM
United States, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Apr 2006
1,006 Posts
Discussion
Corvette Daytona Body by McAllister DP

After watching the full scale versions run at the 24 hours at Daytona recently, I really wanted to airbrush one of these bodies. The McAllister Corvette Daytona is really close to the real thing in terms of body lines. And, it mounts on my Associated TC6 about as low as you can go on the body posts! (I still need to trim down the posts as you can see in the pics.)

I airbrushed it with Faskolor paints. Metallic Orange, Neon Orange and black. Its got faux carbon fiber pattern in the black done with the metallic orange.

I had a couple of questions about the body and emailed McAllister. They were super quick and helpful in responding! Nice.

I'll run it in USGT here in Indianapolis. Locally, we race on-road at Indy RC Raceway.
HelloScott is offline Find More Posts by HelloScott
Last edited by HelloScott; Mar 17, 2013 at 08:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:54 PM
Hackettstown, New Jersey
Joined Feb 2008
737 Posts
One word...."WOW"
cenracer1 is offline Find More Posts by cenracer1
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:06 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,439 Posts
WOW is right great job. I watched the 24 at Daytona to. The Ferrari was one sharp looking race car. The prototype vetts were so cool to watch they look pretty close to the factory car.
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Last edited by mredzadventure; Feb 21, 2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:47 AM
Joined Apr 2006
1,006 Posts
Thanks guys. I like how it turned out too. You can tell, I like orange!

The spoiler/wing combo in the back is unique. Wonder if it will affect performance in a scale version? Hard to know.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:52 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,607 Posts
Looking great! Color combo works nice.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:36 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,006 Posts
The camera kind of freaks out with the neon orange. The neon on the top and sides is the same color. But it looks ver different in th photo. It's not.

I raced it last night at Indy RC. I was very happy with how it ran. I'm using a TC5 for USGT (my son nabbed my TC6!) and they can be a little loose in the back. With the Corvette Daytona body and that double wing thing going on, it was super planted. So, apparently it does function some. Several good comments on the body from the other guys too.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 06:21 PM
Minister of R/C
Fort Washington, MD
Joined Sep 2006
1,031 Posts
I got one from them as well, but have yet to paint mines because it's less than 50F degrees here in MD. So airbrushing is out right in my garage. But I have a nice color scheme in mind. If I remember I will post a pic when I do it.

BTW: I too saw the 24 hours race, but I've had mine since early February. When I saw the race I said, "Hey I got that body."
HeliTB is offline Find More Posts by HeliTB
Old Mar 06, 2013, 06:19 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,006 Posts
If you are shooting Faskolor paints, you can paint at 50. I've done that. A hair dryer will help on speeding up the drying process.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 08:26 PM
Dave
Putnam Valley, NY
Joined Sep 2007
677 Posts
Funny, I found photos of your car on a google search, and saved the photo as inspiration form my next paint job. Nice work!
CygnusX1 is offline Find More Posts by CygnusX1
Old Mar 07, 2013, 02:37 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,006 Posts
I'm surprised they's show up that quick on google.

We live in an amazing time.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 02:49 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,006 Posts
I sent the photos to Gary McAllister and he put them on the Reader's Rides page on their website. That's cool!

http://www.mcallisterracing.com/inde...s/Page1677.htm
Old Mar 08, 2013, 03:34 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloScott View Post
I'm surprised they's show up that quick on google.

We live in an amazing time.
The only thing that seperates Google's crawlerbots from a virus is that these are supposed to be harmless. Anyone seen "I Robot"?
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Mar 16, 2013, 01:00 AM
Caster Racing USA Team Driver
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Jan 2013
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloScott View Post
After watching the full scale versions run at the 24 hours at Daytona recently, I really wanted to airbrush one of these bodies. The McAllister Corvette Daytona is really close to the real thing in terms of body lines. And, it mounts on my Associated TC6 about as low as you can go on the body posts! (I still need to trim down the posts as you can see in the pics.)

I airbrushed it with Faskolor paints. Metallic Orange, Neon Orange and black. Its got faux carbon fiber pattern in the black done with the metallic orange.

I had a couple of questions about the body and emailed McAllister. They were super quick and helpful in responding! Nice.

I'll run it in USGT here in Indianapolis. Locally, we race on-road at Indy RC Raceway.
Nice JoB!! Check out McAllister Racing's racers' rides page 12, you will see me and my 7 year old son (he was 6 back then)w/our trophies getting 2nd & 3rd podium at the 2012 TQ RC Racing Summer Carpet Championships in Chino, CA in the Rookie Sedan 17.5 class. We drove 2 Corvette DP's w/ Quaker State Livery, though not as nice as yours. We used Tamiya TA-05 & TB03 Tub Chassis. Presently, we are running Sportsman. BTW, Iam also known as multiracer2 on rctech.net
multiflyer2 is offline Find More Posts by multiflyer2
Old Mar 17, 2013, 08:45 AM
Joined Apr 2006
1,006 Posts
These are some other photos I took of the McAllister Corvette in direct sunlight before I put any decals on. My iphone camera seems to freak out over the neon orange even worse that way. Can you tell? LOL!

The photo of the real Daytona Prototype was inspired me to go orange.

I've now run this body quite a bit. I really like it on the track. That double rear wing/spoiler thing really keeps my back end planted. I'm using a TC5 and they are notorious for having loose backends. The other cool thing is that this body mounts as low as you can go on the body posts. Its all the way down!