Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:58 PM
Jamal
Canada, PE, Charlottetown
Joined Aug 2012
206 Posts
Discussion
Apology and more...

Dear RC lovers,

You might have seen my post where I was asking for help with picking out a plane for Christmas. If you saw that, you more than likely saw my rude replies to the people who were trying to help me by telling me that I should get a trainer, instead of a jet. I am very sorry for replying to you guys with bad attitude, and I know it's wrong, I wasn't having that great of a week. Please forgive me.

Here is the replacement of that post. I am looking for electric plane for beginners, but I don't really like the look of planes like cub and stuff, I am going for a more of a sporty look. I don't know if those type of planes even exist, so don't go crazy with the replies telling me that they don't. Basically what I am looking for a trainer that looks somewhat like a jet, or is a jet with the maximum price of $100 CAD (Which is pretty close to the same as USD). I also want it to be a kit that includes most of the electronics, like motor, esc, and battery (Unless I already have those parts that it requires). I am not trying to be picky, but please do not reply with links to a product on HobbyKing, as the shipping cost tends to be rather pricey. If anyone has any suggestions, please just put it in a reply to this.

Thank you!
& have a fantastic day.
RCJamal is offline Find More Posts by RCJamal
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:30 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,480 Posts
I hate to say it, but the high wings are where you should start. Jets are not a good place to start in this hobby, you will be far more likely to succeed going with a high wing trainer.

Now that isn't to say you couldn't start with a jet, but most likely the first flight will not end well.

I also realize that you are looking for a complete kit, something you could consider is building a jet. I'm currently making my first EDF, I've flown warbirds and 3d planes and I am confident I can handle an EDF. Having said that, my current budget doesn't allow for me to afford to buy one, but I can buy the parts and a few dollars worth of Dollar Tree Foam and build one.

You could build this one for less than half your budget. You will still need to get a charger, tx/rx, and battery pack.

FUGLYJET EDF Scratchbuilt Foamie (4 min 30 sec)
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:35 PM
Jamal
Canada, PE, Charlottetown
Joined Aug 2012
206 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. As for building a jet, I have a flying wing built and waiting to be tested. I kind of want to try a 3D aerobatic plane, they seem like they would be easy to start with, as many of them go quite slow. The only reason I never built a 3D is because my electronics are not suitable for that.
RCJamal is offline Find More Posts by RCJamal
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:41 PM
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,225 Posts
Hey Jamal, you are looking for something that is next to impossible to find. I did not read the previous thread you started, but you gotta hold your horses and take baby steps.

What is your building a flying experience?

This hobby teaches patience if nothing else. You are young and having been young once, I know where you are coming from. Do as the others say. Buy a high wing trainer like the 3-channel HZ Supercub. Fly a simulator for a while. Or if you are a quick learner, you can do your sim training and then fly a 4 channel aileron high winger.

There are good looking 4-5 channel Cessnas out there that are in your price range and they should be fine for patient beginners who will take the time to learn the basics. Some are even equipped with 3-axis gyros to help you get out of trouble.

You probably don't remember this, but you had to crawl before you walked, right?
easyrider604 is offline Find More Posts by easyrider604
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:45 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,480 Posts
I built one from the scratch build section, it's much cheaper doing that and learning vs spending a few hundred dollars and crashing the more expensive plane.

For your jet you could also try ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/F-35A-F35-Li...item19d3773fed

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lingcat-Elec...item23252b01c7

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-JET-F16-F...item2c684510c9

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-JET-MIG-2...item2a1f5ec3ab

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-JET-AIRPL...item257253aec7

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-Radio-Con...item4abe66296d

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Z-D-FLY-F-16...item1c2d4201e9

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STARMAX-F-22...item1c2d42051e

Though not one of those is a suitable jet trainer. I think your best bet would be to stay with a Mig 15 or F-86 style. I think those may be a bit better to learn on.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:58 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
5,013 Posts
Jamal, believe me we understand where you are coming from. Most of us have been there at one time or another. Everyone always want's a "cool" plane to start with. You have to ask yourself, "Will my plane still look cool when it lays on the ground in pieces?" We here on RCGroups want you to be successful at flying RC. Why? Because the more people that become interested in the hobby, the better it is for the hobby all the way around. The best chance at success is to buy an inexpensive trainer like the Hobbyzone Champ or Ares Gamma 370 (both within your budget) and once you learn on that, get the jet you want. We aren't trying to turn you off on the aspirations of flying an RC jet. We WANT you in the hobby and the best place to start is like everyone says, with baby steps, and that usually means a high wing trainer from firms like Hobbyzone, Parkzone and Flyzone, etc.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:15 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider604 View Post
You probably don't remember this, but you had to crawl before you walked, right?
My mom says I wasn't interested in walking, I was only interested in talking, and I learned to walk only so I could bug people

Point being, our desires often exceed our abilities, and it gets us into trouble. Part of growing up is learning to recognize our own abilities and if there is a deficiency, we address it. If there's nobody to talk to, you do the work to find them, and if that means you have to get up and go walk over to them, that's what you learn to do.

Your requirements are too strict, you are going to have to relax one of those requirements because there just isn't anything available which meets all the requirements. You are going to have to spend more money, deal with HobbyKing, or get a standard trainer - you aren't going to be able to skip all those normal requirements on your first plane.

As for 3D planes flying slow - that is an illusion. It's the same illusion that lets Michelle Kwan make a triple axel look easy. Flying in high-alpha 3D "slow" flight is an incredibly energetic state, in spite of it looking low energy - it is a flight state where most of the energy from the prop is being wasted, and it feels a lot like driving on a frozen lake, if you've ever done that. It is the airplane being turned into a helicopter, but it's a sucky helicopter, with a bad control scheme. It takes a lot of skill to be able to fly a 3D plane slow. I can make it look easy, but it's not.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:43 PM
25+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,536 Posts
Get a Firebird Stratos for $129 and be happy. It's everything you need and want. It's cool looking AND cool SOUNDING with those twin engines screaming. Everything you need is right in the box and it is designed from the beginning as a trainer. As you progress, you can turn off the Virtual Instructor and increase the elevator size, giving sportier flight characteristics.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...os-rtf-HBZ7700

Click on the video to hear those twin engines singing as I go by in a fast pass.

BigIron357 is offline Find More Posts by BigIron357
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:16 PM
Arrowhead
Joined Dec 2010
1,392 Posts
The Stratos is definitely cooler-looking than any Cub I've ever seen. What I've read suggests it's a decent starter plane as well. No personal experience with it myself though.

Jamal, I see you're in Charlottetown. Drop in to Great Hobbies, and ask for some suggestions. They have a good, helpful crew there. You'll also get to see the choices available locally, as well as get an idea of what's available for spare parts. No matter what plane you go with, crashing is inevitable... and the only thing worse than a crash is not having the parts available to make repairs.

When I started, I was hell-bent on getting a warbird... until I'd read enough threads here on RCG to get it through my head: trainers, no matter how dull or boring they look, exist for a reason. Swallowing my pride and heeding the advice I found here, I picked up a Hobby Zone Super Cub... and never regretted it. In fact it gave me a great appreciation for the plane, and I now own a larger Super Cub as well! Everything else in my hangar is a warbird...
CF105 is offline Find More Posts by CF105
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:43 PM
Foam flogger
Roseville, CA
Joined Apr 2009
1,146 Posts
I've known three people personally that were too cool for trainers and insisted on starting with a warbird. All three wrecked those planes and started over with a trainer. But hey, maybe you're different.
Belem is offline Find More Posts by Belem
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:29 PM
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,225 Posts
This was posted by Jasmine2501 in a previous thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=2E_u3yKZflI

If you don't have the time to watch the whole video, go to 4:15 and see how long a jet will fly at the hands of a noob. Funny to everyone but the pilot

Two things a noob should learn. Patience and respect.
easyrider604 is offline Find More Posts by easyrider604
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:55 PM
United Kingdom, Wales, Swansea
Joined Aug 2012
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider604 View Post
.. see how long a jet will fly at the hands of a noob. ..Two things a noob should learn. Patience and respect.
I'll second that. Many weeks ago I rashly bought a RadJet - then I asked for advice. It's still waiting for it's maiden...
FlyBoy20 is offline Find More Posts by FlyBoy20
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:25 PM
Joined Nov 2008
519 Posts
Hmmm let make things more clear, a jet looking plane must have enough speed to make it fly so therefore no jet trainer. Now most of the Jet plane or sport looking plane fly 80 to 100 km per hour which means this plane fly across a football field in less than two second. at 60 feet high, 5 degrees head down and the plane will ground in less than a second. If you really want a sporty look. may be try a epp flying wing instead. they can fly pretty fast or slow.

Edmond
Edmond Y is online now Find More Posts by Edmond Y
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:06 AM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,438 Posts
I can't see you finding a non Hobby King jet for under $100 that might be good for a first plane. IMO this would probably be the closest thing to what you are looking for that might have a flight envelope that might give you a chance of success.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ology-EFLU1680
600Bob is online now Find More Posts by 600Bob
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:25 AM
Unregistered User
White Rock BC/Blaine WA
Joined Apr 2007
595 Posts
I started out a few years back with a high wing trainer plane and I'd still recommend doing it that way but my second plane was one of these super cheap, super simple scratch built flying wings. You can draw the plans for it (not to scale) on a post it note and build it in an afternoon or two no problem. I'm glad I started with the high wing trainer but after flying the flying wing I did feel like it could have been my first plane and I would have been ok. The flying wing is basically indestructible, and if you do manage to kill it it's so easy to build another it's hardly a bother.

If you're not buying complete airplane kits HobbyKing is the way to go in my opinion. Sure their shipping isn't the cheapest but when their parts cost 1/5 the price they do locally, it's worth it.
liam2317 is offline Find More Posts by liam2317