HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:53 PM
Couger/ merlin mavrick / goose
Joined Aug 2012
53 Posts
Discussion
Best conditions for sailplane use?

Whats up everybody long time 3d flyer here , brand new sailer! So basicly i picked up saweeet new v tail glider , no idea what kind but is very light and has a ffolding prop. Basicly my quesion is , can i fly this glider in very windy conditions? Or what type of conditions are we talking about like completly calm ? My thoughts would be that windy would be the right conditions but maby im wrong , can you guys help a noob out with a little bit of soaring info? Would be so greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advanced for any help.

Kj
Kylejazz123 is offline Find More Posts by Kylejazz123
Last edited by Kylejazz123; Oct 16, 2012 at 04:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:57 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Light winds (5-9 MPH), cool in the morning, warmimg rapidly by noon from the sun....oh yeah!
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:29 PM
Joined Aug 2012
53 Posts
So best time is when its starting to warm up?
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:51 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Well, yes, I suppose. Different textures and color of the surrounding land warm at different rates, this is what creates a bubble of rising air. This picture shows a dark area to the north east of the field. If you get a light breeze from that direction, it will probably have lift as the dark area has produced warmer air than the surrounding area. This is one of the "house" thermals of this field.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:27 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,163 Posts
welcome over to the rewarding side of RC flying.

I see you have drank the koolaid though, my personal opinion is that a sailplane does not have a motor, esc and battery pack. chuck it off a slope or winch it up and then find lift.

I'm just busting your chops, fly however you want. Welcome to sailplanes, they are really fun and relaxing.

If you dont have a ridge or slope then you thermal, the choice is already made for you. I have both available to me, a slope and some good open fields for thermaling. I like both, but tend to favor slope.

Wind can mean a couple things. On a slope it means you have slope lift. In open areas it can mean you have active convection- rising air is pulling the ground layer air toward it. Or it could mean that your thermals are being blown away or not being allowed to form properly and you have no lift.
jzanutto is online now Find More Posts by jzanutto
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:47 PM
Joined Aug 2012
53 Posts
Ahh . Its starting to make sense , and i hear yah about the motor thing but being a noob to it i wanted to be able to get "up there" with out fustration (thats what she said) anyways , my clubs field is right on the edge of a river (fraser river , biggest in bc canada)and in a huge valley with mountains all the way around the valley . Were talking hundreds km inbetween the mountains but i just thought ide mention it , its called the fraser valley and its a long valley coming out of vancouver bc canada and going into the rocky mountians , is this going to be a good place for lift?
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:39 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Sorry, KJ, I assumed thermal soaring....
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:52 PM
Joined Oct 2004
676 Posts
What dwells said, enjoy .
jetmaven is offline Find More Posts by jetmaven
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:41 PM
Joined Aug 2012
53 Posts
what the difference in between thremal soaring and flying up to height and gliding down? for thremal soaring do you have to catch thermals all the way up with out the help of a motor for it to be consider as so?
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:38 AM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,163 Posts
ahh glider philosophy. The aim of soaring is to stay up on the lift that you find, whether its a slope, or a thermal, or a convergence line, etc.

Stay up as long as you can, till its time to come down and change a pack. In full size soaring, only a very few have engines and they are referred to as self-launchers. ie, they dont need a tow plane to get up. The engine is shut off and it retracts, then they look for lift like anyone else who got towed up.

So however you get your rc glider up into the air is your choice, then the fun starts as you hunt for lift and learn how to use it.

there are all kinds of events based on the type of sailplane you choose and how you choose to launch.

theres an old saying that says "its a sailplane when its climbing, and its a glider when its coming down." nobody really wants to launch and then just come back down, you try to stay up as long as possible

with thermal flight, you stand at your base and look up at the plane as it gets smaller and smaller. You continuously circle in the thermal as you climb. with slope flying the sailplane can be flown right in front of you at eye level, following more of a straight course as you fly up and down the slope or ridge

my personal favorite is to just toss it off a slope and watch it climb right in front of me. our little slope is not even 100 feet high but I've managed to fly out my RX pack at 2 hours 45 minutes on several occasions
jzanutto is online now Find More Posts by jzanutto
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:01 AM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,133 Posts
If you are skilled, the glider is not too light, and it has a fast airfoil, then you can fly in the wind. But that comes later. Gliders will handle totally differently than a 3d plane and you'll need to get used to this.

Ideally you want a sunny day when the wind is light and shifts around a lot, because that means there are thermals. Watch the birds. When they circle, don't flap, and go up, they are showing you how and where to do it. Get a copy of the Old Buzzard's Soaring Book. (Carstens may have it). It's very good on finding thermals.

If you have a steep, long hill facing the wind, with no obstructions upwind of it, you can slope soar. Sometimes for as long as you can stand it. I have a hill like that near my house and I've been up for an hour a couple of times, but it's boring and there's no good place to land! With skill, you can slope soar much smaller features. I've slope soared a bump in an ocean beach that was maybe two feet high. I didn't get far above it, but I could stay up. Of course, that nice steady wind coming off the ocean makes it easier. As a 3D flyer, you might enjoy this close proximity flying, although it will get sand in the motor when you land!

What is wing span and weight? Can you send us a picture? If it's too small, it may be frustrating. A two meter that weighs 25 to 35 oz. is probably about right, although I've seen a few lighter ones that work well. For a 1.5 meter, no more than 11 oz. or so is best, IMHO. But a 1.5 meter has to be a reasonably good one or it will be frustrating. A 2.5 meter can weigh quite a bit more, maybe up to 45 oz. There are gliders which weigh more but they will have to be flown with more finesse.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:13 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,553 Posts
Gliders and Soaring - several types

Thermal Soaring - generally a flat land type activity, meaning you don't need hills or wind. Sun warms the ground, creates thermals. This is like fishing. You launch and you search for the thermals. When you find one you work it so that you can stay in the air as long as you like before you land. Very much a finesse type of flying.

BIRDS, THERMALS AND SOARING FLIGHT
http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/nature/q0253.shtml

Launch can be via motor in the glider, hi-start, OneWinch, Electric Winch, Hand Launch, piggy back on a power plane or aerotowing which is being pulled up by a power plane.

Slope soaring - needs a hill/slope and wind that is blowing directly into the hill. Now we know where the lift is. In most cases you just toss the glider off the cliff/hill and into the lift. Fly as long as the wind blows and comes from the correct direction. This can be highly aerobatic, very fast, or it can be smooth and relaxing.

How Slope Soaring Works
http://users.iafrica.com/s/st/stevemac/afc/ssoar.html

Slope Soaring - over the rainbow - may favorite slope video ever
http://www.dwhs.tnc.edu.tw/~andycheng/wmv/200502.wmv

Hotliners - basically high speed electric gliders that are being flown more like aerobatic aircraft. Aerobatics are typically power off with the motor being used to climb high and fast. Then turn to the dive and go wild!

Not my thing, so I don't have resources on this one.

So, which are you thinking about?

And, it would help if we knew more about the glider.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Oct 17, 2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:04 PM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,327 Posts
I'm told the presence of cumulus clouds is a good indicator.
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:30 AM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,133 Posts
That CAN be an indicator, but more likely for full scale than for models, unless they are VERY low.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2012, 06:09 AM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,327 Posts
So for our purposes, a cloudless sky is as good as a cloudy one?
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Last edited by Trisquire; Oct 18, 2012 at 08:26 AM.