HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2012, 03:17 PM
#14 royal wulf
bluegrass state
Joined Dec 2009
382 Posts
Discussion
New Beast 3d brick puffs on 3S!

After replacing both servo motors on my B3d brick due to multiple lock ups and over heats I finally called horizon. They sent me a new brick. This morning I decided to fly it on 3S. Used exact same batteries I fly mig and as3x sbach with. The second I plugged battery in she popped and smoked.brick done.Just a heads up to everyone.
daft punk is offline Find More Posts by daft punk
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:07 PM
United States, MI, Waterford Township
Joined Aug 2012
53 Posts
Did it pop as soon as you plugged the battery in? If so, there could be a short in a wire.
Tommy21781xxx is offline Find More Posts by Tommy21781xxx
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:33 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy21781xxx View Post
Did it pop as soon as you plugged the battery in? If so, there could be a short in a wire.
If there was a short in the wire, it's the battery that would have popped!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:39 PM
#14 royal wulf
bluegrass state
Joined Dec 2009
382 Posts
As soon as I plugged battery in I heard pop and smoke started pouring out.when I got home I pulled brick out of the plane and the two little yellowish squares on brick where the battery connects to brick were FRIED.(sorry don't know actual components names)
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:48 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Those are capacitors... Where did you get the 3S battery? Are you 100% it was wired with the correct polarity?
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:27 PM
#14 royal wulf
bluegrass state
Joined Dec 2009
382 Posts
Used a connector from Glenn's and 3 1S hyp 180's. I have used same 3 batteries and connector many times in mig and as3x Bach with no issues. Reversing polarity is kinda impossible the way connections are made. Dunno wat happened
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:02 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,025 Posts
I had a Beast brick blow the same two caps when I accidentally connected the battery backwards...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:55 AM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daft punk View Post
Used a connector from Glenn's and 3 1S hyp 180's. I have used same 3 batteries and connector many times in mig and as3x Bach with no issues. Reversing polarity is kinda impossible the way connections are made. Dunno wat happened
I suspect those are Tantalum capacitors, which are great at noise suppression across a wide range of frequencies. Their downside is the maximum voltage they can take has little margin above there rating. I do not know for sure the voltage rating of these caps, however it is likely to be below 3-cells.

Check the continuity across your battery leads to the Brick. If not short-circuited then you may be able to save the thing. When the caps blow they normally short circuit; then, with enough current, they will open circuit. If your caps took the damage then your Brick may still be working. Easy enough to test with a 2-cell battery plugged into it. If it does still operate then simply replace the caps with ones with a voltage rating for 3-cells. And note the correct polarity during the installation.

Good Luck,
Curt

Edit: Not my clearest writing above so let me summarize the proposed testing of the Brick.
1) Measure across battery leads and confirm not short circuited.
2) If it is shorted then remove caps and confirm no longer short circuited.
3) If all seems well then plug a 2-cell Lipo into Brick and test operation.
4) If Brick works fine then replace caps with equivalent ones rated for 3-cell use and of the highest capacitance that matches the size of this component.
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
Last edited by CorvetteC5; Sep 30, 2012 at 07:21 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:40 PM
#14 royal wulf
bluegrass state
Joined Dec 2009
382 Posts
Thanks for the input guys.
Just got back in town and was able to test brick. Plugged in a 2S battery and all seems to be working fine!?!
Dumb question- can I keep using brick as is or is replacing charred capacitors mandatory ?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:17 PM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daft punk View Post
Thanks for the input guys.
Just got back in town and was able to test brick. Plugged in a 2S battery and all seems to be working fine!?!
Dumb question- can I keep using brick as is or is replacing charred capacitors mandatory ?
Great to read!

You risk the plane by not replacing them. However maybe this is no big deal, depending on how you feel about the plane ;-)

If it were my Brick then I would replace the caps. They are there to protect the RX from brownouts, extraneous noise from the motor, and maybe stray RF noise, of course.
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
Last edited by CorvetteC5; Oct 01, 2012 at 12:42 PM.