HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:28 PM
Joined Jun 2010
297 Posts
Discussion
Groundhog Gloat

Have to tell some one. Got another one. Wifey just smiles and says did you miss him dear? Same thing when I fly, Did you crash today dear? Grrr. Shes a good cook so shes got me up a tree and knows it.

So anyway I just offed another groundhog 21 minutes ago. That sucker was standing up and scanning the horizon for about 15 minutes from when I accidentally spotted him. Had to run for the .22 downstairs, run upstairs, Thats 3 flights up, open the window shhh, cock the gun , sight and whew, fire. About 70 yards out.

I lost track this year, too bad there is no market for pelts. I wonder what the wife would think of a grand hog coat for Christmas?

Another method I use if I can't get a shot is to stuff a load of charcoal in their hole ,uh den.Carbon Monoxide does wonders.
Aaron 1 is offline Find More Posts by Aaron 1
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:36 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,704 Posts
How about a couple of groundhog bookends?
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:44 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron 1 View Post
I lost track this year, too bad there is no market for pelts.

Punxy Phil would say you're the reason behind global warming.

Quote:
I wonder what the wife would think of a grand hog coat for Christmas?

She'd probably be insulted by the Freudian slip..............speaking of Feudian slips, I heard Victoria's Secret was having a sale on those.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:50 PM
supreme being of leisure
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
2,584 Posts
i once helped gramps rid a field of the little vermin. he handed me a shovel and then backed his car up to a hole and using a piece of vac cleaner hose piped the exhaust down into their lair. somehow i knew what to do without him telling me.
ZAGNUT is offline Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:28 AM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron 1 View Post
Have to tell some one. Got another one. Wifey just smiles and says did you miss him dear? Same thing when I fly, Did you crash today dear? Grrr. Shes a good cook so shes got me up a tree and knows it.

So anyway I just offed another groundhog 21 minutes ago. That sucker was standing up and scanning the horizon for about 15 minutes from when I accidentally spotted him. Had to run for the .22 downstairs, run upstairs, Thats 3 flights up, open the window shhh, cock the gun , sight and whew, fire. About 70 yards out.

I lost track this year, too bad there is no market for pelts. I wonder what the wife would think of a grand hog coat for Christmas? Another method I use if I can't get a shot is to stuff a load of charcoal in their hole ,uh den.Carbon Monoxide does wonders.
We really do need an Usta font.
56S is offline Find More Posts by 56S
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:26 AM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
I have a very small yard. Hardly enough to swing the .222 around and no where near big enough to get the rifle properly sighted. My Whistle-Pig popper of choice is a Browning Buckmark.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:29 AM
Registered Broncos Fan!
United States, CO
Joined Sep 2007
689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56S View Post
I have a very small yard. Hardly enough to swing the .222 around and no where near big enough to get the rifle properly sighted. My Whistle-Pig popper of choice is a Browning Buckmark.
Good man! Anything inside of 50 yds is Buckmark territory for me, outside of 50 is 22-250.
n00b-E is offline Find More Posts by n00b-E
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:59 AM
Gravity is patient............
Joined Mar 2006
1,949 Posts
Good thing you got him before he spotted you. Those things are maneaters.
billyd60 is offline Find More Posts by billyd60
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:57 AM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,339 Posts
I must be missing something here...why is the extermination of all groundhogs required?
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:53 AM
Gravity is patient............
Joined Mar 2006
1,949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
I must be missing something here...why is the extermination of all groundhogs required?
Because they are maneaters. Did you miss my post?
billyd60 is offline Find More Posts by billyd60
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:43 PM
Joined Jun 2010
297 Posts
Quote:
They will build underground sink holes under your house and the repair can cost $thousands and this is no joke. We are on the edge of a cliff and at least so far they are a fair distance from the house. The grass in their area has disappeared and nothing will grow there. Not good.

We used to have Fox families where the Hogs took over. They won't den there anymore. since Mr and Mrs Hog moved in. You can't believe the size of these vermin. Every body in the area is having trouble with them in the last several years, global warming and Bush are to blame.

Armadillos moved in for a while but these guys are easy to shoot. You can walk right up to them,stick the shot gun barrel up their ,censored, and pull the trigger.
Got skunks too.

We have deer and a last week a couple of bucks were having a horn fight. That was fun to watch. Lasted a long time. Never saw this before. This year we even have mosquitoes. Can't figure this out because we have no rain. Nile is among us , I sure don't need that.
Aaron 1 is offline Find More Posts by Aaron 1
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:07 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,500 Posts
My thing is ground squirrels. Disease-carrying, hole-digging nasty little buggers.Their burrows are a major hazard to livestock ankles requiring euthanizing if broken.

Back yard - bolt action Marlin with CCI Quiet .22LR
Ranch areas - Ruger 10/22 out to 150yds.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:04 PM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
Two houses ago had a three acre front yard infested with Federation Ground squirrels. Sako L-46 22 Hornet took care of that. My son's Chipmonk nailed a few too.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:05 PM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Cheaper than Chicken.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:26 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,272 Posts
I'm more sporting than that. I catch them in a large Hav-a-hart trap then while they are captive in the trap I shoot them with my ..22 pistol.

I don't have to run so far.
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52