HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2012, 07:22 AM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
You're thinking only about airplane and heli when you think HH, but they also have pretty much anything RC... Losi is probably selling more cars than airplanes!
Don't forget, they do railway and diecast models too! and Kites!
Bowerz is offline Find More Posts by Bowerz
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2012, 07:32 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowerz View Post
Don't forget, they do railway and diecast models too! and Kites!
Absolutely.

This is how HH says it, in their own words:

"Horizon Hobby is an international developer, marketer and distributor of radio control (RC) hobby products, model trains and a wide range of educational, toy and other hobby products."
pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2012, 07:52 AM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,475 Posts
I could be wrong, but I kinda see it like Horizon is similar to GM. I can't go buy a GM Camaro, but I can buy a Chevy Camaro. Same thing with planes. I can't buy a Horizon ASK-21, but I can buy an E-flite ASK-21. Different brands for different classes of products.

Now back to the this cool little glider...

I'm still curious about the range issue.

Andy
dee-grose is online now Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2012, 09:20 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee-grose View Post
I'm still curious about the range issue.

Andy
Have you flown ultra-micro before? They become a small dot, and you can still control them. Sure the ASK-21 has almost a 3ft wingspan, but way up there, you won't be able to see it before you loose control. Also, they are suggesting only full range transmitter.... Remember, what's important, is your signal being strong (full range) going to a small receiver up there. Sure you don't have sattellite and/or dual antenna receiver, but if the signal is strong, it will still get there! Last thing: the plan is to go up, and up, and up, not far, farther and even farther. Problem with range is usually going too far while being low. That's "hopefully" not going to happen with a glider, or you're else in trouble!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Feb 03, 2012, 09:24 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
HH is thief!!!!! I had 200 in cash in my wallet yesterday and now its gone and it wasnt my choice!!
Only 200? Count yourself lucky Between the mQX, the Carbon Cub, the Mig, the Geebee and the glider... well let me just ask this, what's the going rate for kidneys these days?
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Feb 03, 2012, 09:48 AM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Have you flown ultra-micro before?
Umm...yes and yes, and that's exactly why I'm wondering about the range.

I've also flown gliders plenty. Going both up and downrange are big parts of flying gliders. I just expect this little glider is gonna get further away (either up or out) than I'd dare take my Vapor or Champ.

Yes, I also saw that they mention full-range transmitter. The only reason I asked again was so maybe one of the Horizon guys would chime in with an answer.

Andy
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2012, 09:54 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,232 Posts
IIRC, Horizon Hobby is located in Champaign, IL, USA. So is Tower Hobbies. I wonder if H was founded by people who used to work at TH, but figured that they could be more successful in their own company.

Jim R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Feb 03, 2012, 10:08 AM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,475 Posts
You're not the first to wonder about that. A little searching turned up this thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...obbico+history
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2012, 11:16 AM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdshort View Post
I think this is at the top of my list of the new UMX planes coming out. I love my Radian Pro but it would be nice to have something I could fly from the small HS field that is a couple blocks away. I wonder of PZ might be working on a large version of this plane, as it seems HH has some dual versions of things now (PZ Spit/UM Spit, PZ Albatros/E-Flite Albatros).
Yes.... I have a Radian which I love to fly but there's a smaller area close to me which should be ideal for the little ASK-21. I'll be launching the ASK-21 with the hi-start. It'll give me a little more needed exercise and be nice and quiet, too. Lots of fun ahead!!!
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Old Feb 03, 2012, 12:26 PM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,489 Posts
I think micro rc gliders are a great idea. I saw this video and thought to myself about trying something like this.

Guy slope soaring off a building

This video had me think how cool it would be to have a smallest slope contest and oddest slope contest. With the right conditions you should be able to fly off some unusual lift sources.

Then there is artificial slopes like this....

http://www.sciencetoymaker.org/airSurfKit/index.htm
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Feb 03, 2012, 09:11 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres Wright View Post
Only 200? Count yourself lucky Between the mQX, the Carbon Cub, the Mig, the Geebee and the glider... well let me just ask this, what's the going rate for kidneys these days?
Yes, but, my "Studio class" savings also took a hit
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Feb 03, 2012, 09:35 PM
United States, TN, Greeneville
Joined Jan 2012
91 Posts
You know guys this is not completely new. Years ago Estes manufactured a small remote control glider that was launched via a model rocket. Granted it wasnt a thermal rider it was still cool.. Now a micro tow plane and micro glider that is the coolest thing since sliced bread. My flying budy and I built a GWS mini stick slope glider and tow it up behind my sons slow stick. it just has a simple hook on it and when you want to release the slow stick pilot slows down a little and the glider pilot pulls up elevator and away she goes
J31968 is offline Find More Posts by J31968
Old Feb 03, 2012, 11:04 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Yes, some of us have been around for awhile. I've got an Estes Sweet Vee setting in my closet. It's apple and oranges, IMO. The Estes glider is pretty crude compared to something such as the UMX ASK-21. A mechanical mixer compared to something such as AS3X, for example. The wing span of the Sweet Vee is around twice the size of the ASK-21. Hi start or aerotow vs. rocket launch.

Check out the Sailplane section here and you can find better things to compare than the Estes rocket launched glider.
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Old Feb 04, 2012, 01:02 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,478 Posts
Range shouldn't be an issue with a full-range tx - provided the tx antenna is correctly oriented. There are plenty of videos on 'Tube of people flying FPV out to 1/2-mile & further with UM planes such as the ParkZone Mosquito.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
Old Feb 04, 2012, 10:32 AM
Chicago Northwest subs
Joined Jan 2007
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
I think micro rc gliders are a great idea. I saw this video and thought to myself about trying something like this.

Guy slope soaring off a building

This video had me think how cool it would be to have a smallest slope contest and oddest slope contest. With the right conditions you should be able to fly off some unusual lift sources.

Then there is artificial slopes like this....

http://www.sciencetoymaker.org/airSurfKit/index.htm
Thanks for those vidlinks. I remember in 1981, people would use the ridge lift off the condos on Daytona Beach to stay up for a long time. I think they were Hobie Hawks. Times have changed!
MR2
minirips2 is offline Find More Posts by minirips2