HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:37 PM
Plainfield, IN
Joined Sep 2004
285 Posts
I pulled the trigger an mine is on its way!

Lou
TK421 is online now Find More Posts by TK421
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2012, 08:55 AM
London, UK
Joined Mar 2010
249 Posts
Im looking to get into 3D, i currently fly The Stryker F27Q, and picked up an E-Flite Carbon Z Yak a couple of months ago, and comfortable flying scale but nothing 3d . i find it a bit intimidating, and was hoping to pick up a smaller foamy for easy transport in the car etc.

Ive had a look at the RC Factiory Yak 39", and this seems to be the better option for me as i need something which can handle some wind but also not too large. i was under the impression that this would be better than the the 32" for handling wind?

Does my choice seem a good one considering my requirements?
vygec is offline Find More Posts by vygec
Old Jul 07, 2012, 11:53 AM
Plainfield, IN
Joined Sep 2004
285 Posts
I've got 12 or so flights on mine now and I love it! I did have to put a thicker carbon spar in mine though as the wings flexed more than I would have liked. I used a 2x8x600mm carbon bar and now the plane is locked in. It does knife edge spins and flies well beyond what I am capable of.

Go for it!!

Lou
TK421 is online now Find More Posts by TK421
Old Jul 09, 2012, 09:16 AM
London, UK
Joined Mar 2010
249 Posts
Could someone confirm if this is the V2 version of the yak?
http://robotbirds.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=4726

If its not, whats the difference between this and the v2?
Thanks.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:29 PM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vygec View Post
Could someone confirm if this is the V2 version of the yak?
http://robotbirds.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=4726

If its not, whats the difference between this and the v2?
Thanks.
Looks like the V1 to me, plus it says the product was added to the catalogue in 2009.
The V2 is here with a description of the changes http://www.parkaero.com/rc-factory-y...des-1023-p.asp

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Jul 10, 2012, 03:59 PM
London, UK
Joined Mar 2010
249 Posts
thanks, ive spoken with robotbirds and they suggested that the picture/description was out of date and that the stock is definitely v2.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:29 PM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vygec View Post
thanks, ive spoken with robotbirds and they suggested that the picture/description was out of date and that the stock is definitely v2.
Your'e in luck then, especially as ParkAero are out of stock.

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Jul 14, 2012, 05:45 PM
London, UK
Joined Mar 2010
249 Posts
sorry, another beginner question from me.
do i need a y servo lead to connect both aileron servos to the rx?
Old Jul 14, 2012, 07:50 PM
It's gone...
Joined Aug 2004
5,139 Posts
That is one option.
Or, depending on your radio, you can plug one servo into the aileron port and the other into the Aux port and program the radio. Your radio manual will tell you how
_OZ_ is offline Find More Posts by _OZ_
Old Jul 14, 2012, 08:52 PM
London, UK
Joined Mar 2010
249 Posts
Ok,thanks.I have a Dx6i,so i'll take a look at the manual.

Next problem is, ive got to installing the ailerons and the instructions suggest to install the aileron control horn on the edge of the aileron. If you look at my picrure attached you can see that the control horn will have to be placed much further in to for the control rod to fit.

The only other option is to cut the rod to fit the length, but i would have thought this would significantly decrease my throws. (i also have some carbon rod/clevis which can be used in place of the z bend rods )
This is my first build ive taken on, im taking my time, but its testing my patience
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:59 PM
It's gone...
Joined Aug 2004
5,139 Posts
Here is a pic of how to install the servos, horns and rod.
The horn must be on the edge of the aileron hinge with the hole that the control rod will be in centered directly over the hinge line (crease).
For the control rod, use a Z bend on one end and leave the other end straight.
Use adjustable connector for the straight end of the control rod like Du-bro mini E/Z Connectors.
Once everything is installed, bind up you radio to your receiver and get all of your servos centered up. Then center you surfaces and then you can tighten up the E/Z connects.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:57 AM
London, UK
Joined Mar 2010
249 Posts
thanks.
If i am only flying from heavy grass areas and nowhere to take off from, would it make more sense to keep the landing gear off?
would it do more harm than good ?
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:36 AM
It's gone...
Joined Aug 2004
5,139 Posts
You can leave them off. Belly landing should not damage it.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 07:02 AM
London, UK
Joined Mar 2010
249 Posts
Final bit of advice i hope
The manual suggests COG 0.5mm behind the tab at the wing root. what does this mean, i cant see any tab.
to test the cog, do i turn the plane upside down and does the battery go on top or bottom of plane?

a picture of where the battery should sit would be very helpful. (im dying to take the plane out, weather is perfect!)
Last edited by vygec; Jul 21, 2012 at 07:17 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:14 PM
It's gone...
Joined Aug 2004
5,139 Posts
I put the battery on the bottom, measure G with the plane upright and have marked where mine is. The little white pointy bit is the tab they are talking about.