Joined May 2006
1,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedGrin View Post
Jeff, I am using the ribbon style LEDs from HeadsUpRc:
http://www.headsuphobby.com/Flexible...eter-G-690.htm
http://www.headsuphobby.com/Flexible...eter-G-695.htm
http://www.headsuphobby.com/3S-Femal...Wire-G-255.htm

You will need some small 20-22guage wire to solder into each section.....I used some wire out of a 4wire phone line...but anything and any color, just as long as you keep positive to + and negative to -. I found a 20watt soldering iron with a small tip was excellent to pre-solder each section of the LEDs and the entire project . It is pretty tedious affair but if you take your time and lay them out for soldering you can simplify the final soldering whereas your connecting wires do not cross. I failed to do this on a couple of sections.

I used some Dynam glue to glue the LED's on the wing then soldered up the LEDs while affixed to the airframe. After all completed I used epoxy in dots to glue down the wire inbetween the longer gaps.

My wife thinks the well lit wing is bright enough to get me arrested some night...er at least cause some confusion by local residents.

TwistedGrin
Thanks for the links and tips looking forward to seeing some night video

Jeff
Upup is offline Find More Posts by Upup
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2014, 02:59 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,180 Posts
Ha, night flying !!!! I need to at least get the thing maidened 1st and try to get my markers memorized. Not sure yet how to launch the beast yet....but today is the day

TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is offline Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Old May 03, 2014, 05:33 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,180 Posts
Ok six hand tosses six easy landings....each 3s 55c 2200mAh LiPo flies about 12 minutes mixed throttle without LED's. Mine gets fluttered around more than I expected in 6mph winds...but I was not flying WOT. In fact I was cruising around mostly at 50%. At first I thought I had too much aileron throw as it would just wonky out of a roll....but I then realized I needed way more power to keep a nice axial wing tip roll. It is quite easy to lose the profile sometimes in manouvers beyond 50yards.....so playing around low and slow was pretty fun. As I dialed up it was apparent this 1200mm likes speed....but at least I know how to toss it and float it in...getting ready to hopefully fly it late this evening.....dusk perhaps but not totally dark. I don't think I am quite there yet....sometimes I just need to ease in there.

Video of the 1st LED flight near sunset:
1200mm PopWing LED Twilight Flight 1 05 03 14 (11 min 0 sec)

TwistedGrin
Last edited by TwistedGrin; May 04, 2014 at 06:12 PM.
Old May 04, 2014, 05:58 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,180 Posts
This is flight two of my 05-03-14LED practice sessions ...the sun actually sets in this video as you will see in the video which is interesting in itself....as the light changes dramatically during flight I was glad to have made a different pattern of placement on topsides....the GoPro has a hard time dealing with the low light as opposed to flight #1

1200mm PopWing LED Sundown Flight 2 05-03-14 (11 min 49 sec)

TwistedGrin
Old May 04, 2014, 06:46 PM
1st to the scene of the crash
United States, GA, Dalton
Joined Jul 2012
2,028 Posts
nice videos, wings are so cool to watch, building a mini popwing, can't wait to try it out. Lane
Laneritc is offline Find More Posts by Laneritc
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2014, 07:02 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,696 Posts
Way to go TG! Looking good

Kman
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
Old May 04, 2014, 08:38 PM
Tree hopper
United States, TN, Dresden
Joined Sep 2013
4,051 Posts
Looks like you got it TwistedGrin !!
gabe221 is offline Find More Posts by gabe221
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sport Cub S
Old May 04, 2014, 10:46 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,180 Posts
Heck ya it is very fun to fly with the LED's like that...however it is very easy to fixate on the lights and lose track of obstacles (trees, fence line, backstops) .....so it is most advisable to get a firm awareness of the flyzone and stand in the same spot as the sun sets. I had a good idea where my danger points were...but was simply amazed at how fast I lost the ability to judge altitude. Anyway the LED's are nothing short of spectacular and mindsoothing wonderful to see and fly....well worth the effort to deploy and although they do pull "some" mA from flight time I am still able to get a nice 9min flight out of each battery....all good and super fun.

I noticed in my video I stated the LED's came from HK.....this is not true and I mis-spoke....as I got them from HeadsUp-RC....eeeeesh

TwistedGrin
Old May 04, 2014, 11:23 PM
Tree hopper
Joined Sep 2013
4,051 Posts
Quote:

I noticed in my video I stated the LED's came from HK.....this is not true and I mis-spoke....as I got them from HeadsUp-RC....eeeeesh

TwistedGrin
It's real easy to get way too excited flying it at night. I have a set place to fly mine during the day and night. I got used too the many danger points there, so night flying is normal now. I had too many LEDs on mine also, removed all I didn't need , so all I have now is for orientation only.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2014, 06:32 AM
Ilford,Essex, UK
Joined May 2006
1,978 Posts
Quote:
Heck ya it is very fun to fly with the LED's like that...however it is very easy to fixate on the lights and lose track of obstacles (trees, fence line, backstops) .....so it is most advisable to get a firm awareness of the flyzone and stand in the same spot as the sun sets. I had a good idea where my danger points were...but was simply amazed at how fast I lost the ability to judge altitude. Anyway the LED's are nothing short of spectacular and mindsoothing wonderful to see and fly....well worth the effort to deploy and although they do pull "some" mA from flight time I am still able to get a nice 9min flight out of each battery....all good and super fun.

TwistedGrin
Two nice videos there thanks for posting i have been looking at those leds that HK sell with the different sequencing switch they look cool also

Jeff
Upup is offline Find More Posts by Upup
Old May 05, 2014, 10:01 AM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe221 View Post
It's real easy to get way too excited flying it at night. I have a set place to fly mine during the day and night. I got used too the many danger points there, so night flying is normal now. I had too many LEDs on mine also, removed all I didn't need , so all I have now is for orientation only.
Gabe, I was really curious to fly after sunset....I have 12planes with LED's on the leading edge, wing tips, trailing edge, top rudder fin and bottom fuselage.....but do not enjoy trying to land them after dark at speed on the retractable landing gear......I figured going all out on this one would be fun and different....as a matter of fact I followed your lead from your smaller PopWing....so you are to blame for all this hi-fallootin-light show...-LOL

Jeff, the lights I deployed are the ribbon type from HeadsUP RC....Hobby King may have the same type but I have not verified that yet.

Winds are forecast to be exceeding 15mph all week-grounding my fleet for a few days...so I'll have to rely on you guys for some flight fixes and reports......so where are all these flight reports and videos out there fellas???

TwistedGrin
Last edited by TwistedGrin; May 05, 2014 at 10:36 AM.
Old May 05, 2014, 10:53 AM
United States, WA, Everett
Joined Aug 2013
205 Posts
Quote:
Ya Max,

Now that I know what the heck these things are and how to wire and solder them up.....the bigger rolls of them are much better ....if they wind up being the same lumens output and are of the same quality and power requirement...or better!

TwistedGrin
As far as I can tell they are the exact same product. I put some LEDs from the roll around a guitar speaker cabinet and it is so bright it is hard to look at directly.

-Max
maxnew40 is offline Find More Posts by maxnew40
Old May 05, 2014, 12:38 PM
Fly The Friendly Skies
United States, TN, Brentwood
Joined Apr 2013
1,629 Posts
These things are looking great. Nice videos. LOVE night flying!!
Beaves is online now Find More Posts by Beaves
Old May 05, 2014, 03:23 PM
Tree hopper
Joined Sep 2013
4,051 Posts
Quote:

Winds are forecast to be exceeding 15mph all week-grounding my fleet for a few days...so I'll have to rely on you guys for some flight fixes and reports......so where are all these flight reports and videos out there fellas???

TwistedGrin
It'll handle that wind, since there is no side ways drag on the plane. My stock arf 900mm will fly in that wind.
Check my blog for updated pic's on my LED placement.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2014, 05:51 PM
Joined Jul 2013
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaves View Post
These things are looking great. Nice videos. LOVE night flying!!
Yeap when I got my Mini POP I thought it was cute flying in daytime and nobody pays attention to you. But slap some LED's on and nail the throttle for 65-70 mph runs and watch the folks come from miles around to watch. I hear the word O my god when I go vertical from ground level to over 400 feet alot around here

Best time is when there's no moon and pitch dark !! Don't worry about crashing cause amazing goop is your friend.
RacingJake is offline Find More Posts by RacingJake