SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:06 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
Thanks

http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...-Menu-DNR.html
What is the desired f length for a quad and airplane with the sc2000 camera? I know they are different.
It's not different per aircraft. however it is different per person. I like 4mm. Most people prefer 2.8mm, though.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:08 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrym View Post
I'm looking at getting a 900mhz xmtr and I need some help.

I'm looking at the HobbyWireless T905 and the TX-V905.
I see that one is plug-n-play and the other is not, but looking at
the pics has got me confused.

The T905 shows to be a long metal case and the TX-V905 shows
a short metal case with the "replacement board" below it, which
looks to me to be just a mic and power switch or is it also an xmtr.

They really need to provide more info on a lot of their products!
The truth is that they both work perfectly for any FPV craft, but the V905 version they go the extra step and take care of the microphone, filtering and all of the wiring. PNP is like a PNP airplane - most of the work is already done for you.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:20 AM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,960 Posts
alex, you're supposed to be on holidays... shoo... go away..
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:49 AM
HeliHarry
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2006
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
The truth is that they both work perfectly for any FPV craft, but the V905 version they go the extra step and take care of the microphone, filtering and all of the wiring. PNP is like a PNP airplane - most of the work is already done for you. -Alex
Thanks Alex, I know what PNP is, but I'm confused as to what their pictures represent.

"The T905 shows to be a long metal case and the TX-V905 shows
a short metal case with the "replacement board" below it..."

http://hobbywireless.com/index.php?m...ab629d309e4a9c

I wish they had a number to call. I emailed them and still no response.

-Harry
harrym is offline Find More Posts by harrym
Last edited by harrym; Feb 21, 2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:05 AM
London, Ontario
Joined May 2006
761 Posts
Hi guys I want to get a 10mw boscam 5.8ghz and I know it works with 3.3-5volts my question is can I use a 10v camera or do I need a 5v camera aswell?

Another question, with cloverleaf and a SPWs antena how far can I hope to go?

Thanks
Pat.
Patrizio_g is online now Find More Posts by Patrizio_g
Last edited by Patrizio_g; Feb 22, 2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:03 PM
Joined Oct 2011
979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrizio_g View Post
Hi guys I want to get a 10mw boscam 5.8ghz and I know it works with 3.3-5volts my question is can I use a 10v camera or do I need a 5v camera aswell?

Another question, with cloverleaf and a SPWs antena how far can I hope to go?

Thanks
Pat.
Without getting into the specifics of your equipment, in general you can run the signal and ground of a high voltage camera into a low voltage VTX, splitting the ground wire (Y Ground), and run the power lead from the camera and the other ground branch to another power source.

I don't know whether a 3S lipo would fry a 10V camera. You can pull those volts off of the balance plug, or you can wire branches off of your ESC lead -- I've done that successfully to get an OSD to behave.

Disclaimer: I'm really new to FPV (20 minutes so far under the hood), so I may be way off base here. Anyway, if I'm right, great, and if I'm wrong we'll both learn better from an old hand.
syzygyQ is online now Find More Posts by syzygyQ
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:01 PM
London, Ontario
Joined May 2006
761 Posts
Thanks.

I just have to figure out how far can I get with it hopping for 800 mts or so of decent video

any one have experience on 10mw 5.8?

Pat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygyQ View Post
Without getting into the specifics of your equipment, in general you can run the signal and ground of a high voltage camera into a low voltage VTX, splitting the ground wire (Y Ground), and run the power lead from the camera and the other ground branch to another power source.

I don't know whether a 3S lipo would fry a 10V camera. You can pull those volts off of the balance plug, or you can wire branches off of your ESC lead -- I've done that successfully to get an OSD to behave.

Disclaimer: I'm really new to FPV (20 minutes so far under the hood), so I may be way off base here. Anyway, if I'm right, great, and if I'm wrong we'll both learn better from an old hand.
Last edited by Patrizio_g; Feb 22, 2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:33 PM
"FPV"er not a "LOS"er
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Feb 2012
360 Posts
10mw won't get you very far at all (unless your driving a car or boat don't do it). Go with at least 100mw, 250mw is good (that's what I have) and 600mw is even better. Put some circularly polarized antenna's on the RX and TX and you're good to go. I've flown my Penguin up to 1km easily with the CP antenna's. I feel sure I can go another 2 or 3.

5.8Ghz transmitters usually have a 5v out for the camera so a 5v camera would be ideal. You can use a 12v camera as well and just power it from the battery. If you need any more help feel free to ask.

Another thing about 5.8Ghz is that the signal penetration through objects is absolutely terrible, this usually isn't a problem though since you're probably not going to be flying through a forest. As long as the receiver can "see" the airplane you will get a good signal.
Wettfeat is offline Find More Posts by Wettfeat
Last edited by Wettfeat; Feb 22, 2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:47 PM
London, Ontario
Joined May 2006
761 Posts
Thanks Wettfeat
i have a 400mW 5.8 Boscam that will go on a wing but i was also thinking to get another for the quad since im no planing to go far with the quad i thought 10mw could do but i think you are right 200mw is the winner lol

thanks
Pat
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:51 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Hi guys, I received this toroid and when I opened it up to put my cable inside, I noticed there was a little yellow strip glued in the middle. I'm not quite sure why its there and if I'm supposed to remove it??
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
Old Feb 23, 2013, 05:56 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2011
371 Posts
Hi all,

I have 2 video receivers that are being plugged into my oracle diversity. I would like to use only 1 battery to power up all 3 units. If I use a 3S lipo pack, what voltage should I select for my low voltage alarm to go on?
THOMASJONES is offline Find More Posts by THOMASJONES
Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:53 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,960 Posts
Here's a 5.8 vs 900 video i did today, keep in mind transmitting 2 frequencies at the same time is not ideal, and worsens both videos likely, but it gives you an idea of penetration power.

Both Txs low power + omni antennas

FPV Video Comparison 5 8 vs 900 (3 min 10 sec)
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:43 PM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polix View Post
Here's a 5.8 vs 900 video i did today, keep in mind transmitting 2 frequencies at the same time is not ideal, and worsens both videos likely, but it gives you an idea of penetration power.

Both Txs low power + omni antennas
Ineresting video!

What do you mean with "omni" antennas? Stock whip antennas? If so, you are not really (mostly) testing penetration, but how prone one system is to reflections versus the other. Obiviousely, flying 5.8Ghz with linear antenans within a forest etc. (acutally even in the wide open) is a killer. So, were you useing circular or linear polarized antennas? If linear only - would you be willing to repeat this with CP antennas?

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:53 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
Ineresting video!

What do you mean with "omni" antennas? Stock whip antennas? If so, you are not really (mostly) testing penetration, but how prone one system is to reflections versus the other. Obiviousely, flying 5.8Ghz with linear antenans within a forest etc. (acutally even in the wide open) is a killer. So, were you useing circular or linear polarized antennas? If linear only - would you be willing to repeat this with CP antennas?

Markus
I test omni on plane and patch

Then same test in same area

But with Hugo fan antenna he send me

Hugo antenna can penetrate noisy areas much better

But use omni because they are much more aerodynamic

In noisy environments special antennas work much better

But for speed and efficiency for aerodynamics omni work best
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:15 PM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22 View Post
I test omni on plane and patch

Then same test in same area

But with Hugo fan antenna he send me

Hugo antenna can penetrate noisy areas much better

But use omni because they are much more aerodynamic

In noisy environments special antennas work much better

But for speed and efficiency for aerodynamics omni work best
No offense David, but I definately know a lot about CP and linear antennas etc. That's why I want to know WHAT exact knid of antennas the OP was using as the term "omni" antenna allows for linear as well as circular antennas.

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456