HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2009, 03:11 PM
North Plains, OR
Joined Nov 2003
491 Posts
Discussion
Thin, light weight LED wire?

Anyone have any ideas on a source for thin light weight LED wire?

I see this on the radioshack website.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2036277

More wire than a chicken coop.

Get a three-spool assortment totaling 315 feet at a value price. This enamel-covered solid-conductor copper wire is perfect for winding your own coils and electromagnets.

40 feet of 22-gauge wire
75 feet of 26-gauge wire
200 feet of 30-gauge wire
Turbo442 is offline Find More Posts by Turbo442
Last edited by Turbo442; Dec 20, 2009 at 03:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2009, 03:20 PM
North Plains, OR
Joined Nov 2003
491 Posts
30 gauge sounds pretty good to me, I guess I will need to see how it looks when I pick it up.
Turbo442 is offline Find More Posts by Turbo442
Old Dec 20, 2009, 06:55 PM
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
what about using servo gauge wire?
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501
Old Dec 20, 2009, 10:04 PM
Cub-O-Holic
Deltona, FL
Joined Dec 2006
587 Posts
I hacked up an extra cat 5 cable from my high speed internet modem I had lying around for my computer. It had 8 or so different wires in it and they are very light, not sure of the gauge though. I have them on my Flyzone Cessna and they work fine. I just taped them to the fuse and the bottom of the wing.
gluemaster is offline Find More Posts by gluemaster
Old Dec 21, 2009, 06:55 AM
Hole digger
Joined Dec 2007
318 Posts
I use the cat 5 ethernet cable too. It's somewhat tough so it's not always breaking and it's easy to use.
DampRabbit is offline Find More Posts by DampRabbit
Old Dec 21, 2009, 04:15 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
I use the wire from silver satin phone wire.. It is stranded wire and small gadge also works well for replacing ant wires on recivers
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Dec 21, 2009, 04:17 PM
Joined Apr 2009
779 Posts
Go to hobbylobby in the dept. for doll houses they sell a double stranded wire for lights in a doll houses it is very small insulated and twist together real easy to stop the glitches..
Flight time is offline Find More Posts by Flight time
Old Dec 21, 2009, 10:07 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
The Radio Shack magnetic wire will work, but it's a PITA to work with IMO. I used it on a couple of projects, but will look for alternatives. The HobbyLobby deal sounds interesting. Is it affordable?

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Dec 22, 2009, 01:13 AM
Joined Feb 2007
185 Posts
I use Cat5 wire as well.
carguy84 is offline Find More Posts by carguy84
Old Dec 22, 2009, 06:24 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,529 Posts
There is a winding wire often used for making RF chokes that i use wich has the advantage that the insulation burns away with the soldering
no stripping needed.
olmod is online now Find More Posts by olmod
Old Dec 22, 2009, 10:06 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,846 Posts
I strip wire pairs from colored ribbon cables. The best I have found yet. Why? They are attached to each other so when you pull off two wires you get two wires that stay attached until you seperate them at the ends to solder to your project.
Also, being they are colored, I strip off xx feet for the plane I am setting up. I prefer to use the red and brown wires and red is + and brown is - but any pair will work. You just establish the polarity you want the colors to be.
Also, if you don't have colored ribbon cable use the more common gray wires but mark one with a sharpie.

Rick
rampman is online now Find More Posts by rampman
Old Dec 25, 2009, 06:08 AM
England
Joined Nov 2002
106 Posts
Hi

I used the colored ribbon cable to wire up my led's also use a slightly larger gauge for replacment ariels and making up extension leads.

Have more or less ran out of both and were i got it from no longer do it. Anyone know were to get it?

Simon
simhatus is offline Find More Posts by simhatus
Old Dec 30, 2009, 06:50 PM
Nuke em and lets fly...
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2007
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight time View Post
Go to hobbylobby in the dept. for doll houses they sell a double stranded wire for lights in a doll houses it is very small insulated and twist together real easy to stop the glitches..
Thanks for the idea, I picked up Doll House electrical wire. 50 feet in a package (houseworks) is the brand name for $5. It will be easy to run and easy to hide.
BladeMan is offline Find More Posts by BladeMan
Old Jan 12, 2010, 11:15 PM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,137 Posts
Check the train department in your hobby shop. I found some 1, 2, and 3-conductor wire that works well.

Chris
chris1379 is offline Find More Posts by chris1379
Old Jan 13, 2010, 03:43 PM
How do I change this text?
The Beautiful Mountains of Utah
Joined Oct 2006
6,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs View Post
The Radio Shack magnetic wire will work, but it's a PITA to work with IMO. I used it on a couple of projects, but will look for alternatives.
I've used that same wire and agree it's a pain to work with. I since have switched to using the small wire from inside old printer cables. Not the new USB cables, but the old serial cables that have about 20 wires in them. They have something like 20 different wires in them, each with a different color insulation. These individual wires are very lightweight and thin, but not too brittle (I used to use the wire from old telephone extension cables but that was too brittle). Very easy to solder up; you just use your soldering iron tip to melt a little of the insulation off to expose the wire to solder on to.

Go to your local thrift store and you can buy a six-foot or longer cable for a buck.
Darth_Elevator is offline Find More Posts by Darth_Elevator