SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 11, 2010, 02:10 PM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,683 Posts
Looking really really good --- how are you planning on doing battery swaps?
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:12 PM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,950 Posts
I am not crazy about cutting hatches, I don't mind removing the wing to swap out batteries. Turnigy 5000 mah packs fit right in the spot where the tank would go so I am shooting to make a battery tray there, but I wont know for sure until I get more work done. I got the elevator hinged, will be working on the rudder and tailwheel next. I ordered some higher torque servo's for the elv./rudder. They are both pull/pull set ups. Nice that the hardware for the elevator is hidden in the fuse. There is a hatch at the rear which I may make my air exit for cooling. I want to get everything finished so all that will be left is to mount the motor and esc., I don't have the cash yet anyway. Plus I will know the approx. weight so I can figure out which hacker outrunner I want to use!
mpope1 is offline Find More Posts by mpope1
Last edited by mpope1; Jan 12, 2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:12 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,838 Posts
looking great mike! wish i could come to AEF to see it in person, and hang out with you guys.
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jan 12, 2010, 09:30 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2007
3,564 Posts
Mike,

I'll be anxious to see this bird in the air!

What is your impression of the ESM retracts? I put myself on the waiting list for the rotating ones. $139.00 is a crazy price for the retracts, struts, wheels, tank, & hardware.

I haven't read the best reviews about the ESM retracts but supposedly the newer ones are better....
chalmrast is offline Find More Posts by chalmrast
Old Jan 12, 2010, 11:18 PM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,950 Posts
I heard they have some issues, but mine seem to be working fine. One thing I did notice is there is only one bolt to tighten up the strut in the retract. My robarts had two, and I never had any problems with the robarts rotating on landings. I have to take a pair of vice grips and clamp it down to get the bolt tight enough so they don't rotate in the retracts. I think they will be good, I hopefully will have it on its legs tomorrow. I screwed the wheel liners in just in case I want to switch out the retracts at a later time. The wheels are really nice, probably cost $40 for the 3 wheels if you bought them without the package. I will put the doors on last so I can get them lined up nice, I dry fit them and they lay perfect when the gear is retracted. Here are a couple of more pix, I will get some tomorrow after I get it up on its wheels.
Last edited by mpope1; Jan 12, 2010 at 11:33 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 11:48 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2007
3,564 Posts
Like the hidden elevator linkage...

Is the tail wheel retractable?
chalmrast is offline Find More Posts by chalmrast
Old Jan 12, 2010, 11:59 PM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,950 Posts
No, I was gonna do all those mods, but I think I am gonna set it up stock. Thats what I did with my H9 miss america, then I added the prop and retractable tailwheel afterwards! The tailwheel on a mustang retracts foward, so its a little more work then you would think!
Old Jan 13, 2010, 08:56 PM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,950 Posts
Got the rudder and tailwheel finished today, not crazy how the tailwheel is set up but it gets the job done. I will probably add a retractable t.w. later on anyway.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:47 PM
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined May 2004
5,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope1 View Post
One thing I did notice is there is only one bolt to tighten up the strut in the retract. My robarts had two, and I never had any problems with the robarts rotating on landings. I have to take a pair of vice grips and clamp it down to get the bolt tight .

Mike,
You can always drill and tap another set screw.

Victor
TBolt is offline Find More Posts by TBolt
Old Jan 16, 2010, 01:28 AM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,950 Posts
Vic I am able to get it tightend where I dont think the struts will fall off when I unretract the gear, though that would get the adrenaline flowing. I completed the wing, gear doors are done. Elevator and rudder are now active. Mounted the hatch in the rear. Got a esc, now have to pay a visit to Mike Donovan at hacker to get the right A60 motor. The only things left are the spinner(ouch) and mounting the cowl. I also have to get the air tank and valve squared away but thats no big deal!
Last edited by mpope1; Jan 16, 2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 08:41 AM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2005
1,950 Posts
Nice Mike!

Matt
MattinAZ is offline Find More Posts by MattinAZ
Old Jan 16, 2010, 09:00 PM
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined May 2004
5,192 Posts
Nice
TBolt is offline Find More Posts by TBolt
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:08 AM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,950 Posts
Started to mount the electronics and air system. I have a couple of ideas on battery placement but won't know for sure until I get the motor mounted(hopefully monday).
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:21 PM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,950 Posts
Got the plane just about done today, just waiting on a Dave Brown 4 1/2" spinner from tower hobbies. Plane weighs just over 15 lbs., gonna be a heavy weight. I am running a hacker A60-16M and CC HV-85 on 10s. I am planning on using a 18x12 apc, dont have one on hand so I will have to pick one up. I made a battery tray where the gas tank would go and it balances per the manual which seems to be right. I will post some pix later!
Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:12 PM
Pattern Abuser
Gilbert, AZ
Joined Apr 2008
2,833 Posts
Mike if you like, I have an 18X12 prop handy you can have. I tried it on the Funtana but I didn't like the high pitch for my pattern stuff. I went with an 19X8.

Cheers,

Jim
jimflys1 is offline Find More Posts by jimflys1