HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2012, 12:02 AM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubmonkey View Post
Where can you buy diesel engines now. I am pretty new and an old fella here said he'd be willing to teach me the ins and outs of them. I want to put one in a phoenix classic (if that's possible). If I can't buy them now is it possible to convert a glow? What size diesel would you put in the classic any way?
Heaps of diesels on eBay. Look, and you shall see.

Check PAW website......They are available in OZ also.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2012, 03:50 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack View Post
My FROG 50D Mk. II...
For Bob and GH,
I think there's some confusion about the Frog 50 Marks.
The Mark I is identifiable by its slightly different lower profile head, which is clearly shown in GH's photos.
The Mk II has the same crankcase, still with the perpendicular NVA, but with a slightly larger, and slightly different shape, head.
The Mk III is easiest to identify, it's the only one with a swept back NVA and the "stroking" band around the crankcase.

So Bob, the engine you think is a Mk II, for me, is clearly a Mk III.

One other point, these Frogs never had "original" radial mounting plates, but all the front rotary Frogs were said to be radially mountable just by removing the tank and using the backplate retaining bolts. That's why these bolts are longer than apparently necessary, although many have since been shortened (to get the engine snug up against the firewall when using a separate tank).
Brian
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by brokenenglish; Feb 26, 2012 at 03:57 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 04:22 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Brian, the very first engine that I ever owned was a FROG 50D Mk. II, and it took me about 40 years to find another, brand new example. The test below by Peter Chinn, "Model Aircraft" magazine February 1957 issue....
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Old Feb 26, 2012, 05:10 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,747 Posts
Scrubmonkey, if you are looking at the Phoenix, plans, page 181 post #2710, the model plan is suggesting a 3.5 to 5 cc diesel, or a .21 to .30 cubic in engine. All up weight about 4 lbs. Look for an Irvine.20 D for R/C or if you have deep pockets an OT Major 3.5 R/C which is still available from Tom R....see back a few pages.
John
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:27 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,718 Posts
Quote:
Brian, the very first engine that I ever owned was a FROG 50D Mk. II, and it took me about 40 years to find another, brand new example. The test below by Peter Chinn, "Model Aircraft" magazine February 1957 issue....
Bob, Thanks for your pdfs. Hmmmh, we obviously have a slight Frog problem, both of us!
Firstly, the Mk. I is definitely the one GH showed, with the fins extending down to the bottom of the head, and no "wider band" on the bottom of the head (this is the one RHW tested in AM 8/52).
Secondly, the engine you thought to be a Mk II, with the strap under the crankcase, is actually a Mk III.
Now, if we accept these two identification criteria, that still leaves us with two different types of Mk II. Apparently, some have slanting back NVAs and some don't...
So, for me, there's no problem with the Mk III, but we have three different configurations to split between two types of engine (Mk I and Mk II).
As I keep explaining to Madame... it's this kind of thing that drives a good honest guy (or even me) to drink!
Brian
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:09 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
Bob, Thanks for your pdfs. Hmmmh, we obviously have a slight Frog problem, both of us!
Firstly, the Mk. I is definitely the one GH showed, with the fins extending down to the bottom of the head, and no "wider band" on the bottom of the head (this is the one RHW tested in AM 8/52).
Secondly, the engine you thought to be a Mk II, with the strap under the crankcase, is actually a Mk III.
Now, if we accept these two identification criteria, that still leaves us with two different types of Mk II. Apparently, some have slanting back NVAs and some don't...
So, for me, there's no problem with the Mk III, but we have three different configurations to split between two types of engine (Mk I and Mk II).
As I keep explaining to Madame... it's this kind of thing that drives a good honest guy (or even me) to drink!
Brian
Brian, there are much more important things in life than arguing the point over model engines, so I'm happy to let it be (as the Beatles famously once said) and get back to my wine glass ! BOB
Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:10 AM
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Aug 2011
985 Posts
The plane I want to put a diesel in is a .40 size glow arf. Can I get a diesel big enough or should I go with a Davis diesel conversion
scrubmonkey is offline Find More Posts by scrubmonkey
Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:58 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,035 Posts
Quote:
The plane I want to put a diesel in is a .40 size glow arf. Can I get a diesel big enough or should I go with a Davis diesel conversion
If the ".40 size ARF" you have in mind has a reasonably low wing loading, I would say you'd be fine (and safe) with anything from a PAW .29 and up.

I have seen a Long Cabin (78" span) and a Red Zephyr (72" span) fly real nice, even in some wind, with a PAW .19, though their wing loadings are obviously lower than the "average ARF" of today....
I once had an own designed low-winger (54" span) , performing in a lively & nice way with a PAW .19...IIRC its weight was about 3 lbs.....

Have you seen the PAW range of diesels..?

Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Last edited by Gluehand; Feb 27, 2012 at 04:10 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 04:24 AM
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Aug 2011
985 Posts
yes i had a look. is there an australian distributor? it is really hard to find stuff on their site
ps. it would be best if it is throttled (i hear most diesels aren't)
scrubmonkey is offline Find More Posts by scrubmonkey
Last edited by scrubmonkey; Feb 27, 2012 at 04:31 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:06 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,035 Posts
Quote:
...there are much more important things in life than arguing the point over model engines, so I'm happy to let it be (as the Beatles famously once said) and get back to my wine glass ! BOB
Yes, Bob & Brian......trying to sort out version histories could be a never ending subject...just look at vintage motorbikes & cars......mostly the manufacturers made one change at a time, while Version Numbers were "time-stamps", living their own life, just in order to keep historians busy...

So, leaning back sounds like a good idea....I figure we all learned SOME more in this process....thanks for your inputs..!
Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:54 AM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,536 Posts
Quote:
yes i had a look. is there an australian distributor? it is really hard to find stuff on their site
ps. it would be best if it is throttled (i hear most diesels aren't)
Google, Owen Engines.........He can look after you with an RC PAW 40.

Nice guy David Owen, and has some nice stuff.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Feb 27, 2012, 06:02 AM
Joined Mar 2007
1,109 Posts
WRT the Enya 4-stroke diesel.

I have a useful bit of experience with this engine.

Shims are provided for the head ... thus, the CR is fixed.

Find a prop with which the engine is comfortable; then just stick with that prop. Great little engine which absolutely will not stop running, so long as there is fuel available.

Here's my Enya diesel, flying an ARC Ready.

Hal autoleveller and ARC Ready (7 min 57 sec)
bogbeagle is offline Find More Posts by bogbeagle
Old Feb 27, 2012, 07:13 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Interesting throttle valve on this KO - possibly made by the village blacksmith. These things had dual NVA's at one stage, hence the 2nd hole I guess.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:47 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
I had an ME (Heron?) that had throttle on it that was almost as crude, a butterfly of sorts above the needle, so that it simply flooded the engine down to an idle. It worked, amazingly...
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Feb 28, 2012, 05:21 AM
Voices through wires? Ha!
Joined Feb 2003
1,659 Posts
Bogbeagle, nice video, thanks...used to drive on that road past Beverley with a bunch of single channel models which I'd smashed up in Cottingham, on their way to repair facilities in Darlington :-) is it still open land ?
Chas is offline Find More Posts by Chas