Mar 02, 2010, 09:42 PM
SouthernHoneyBee
Thread OP
Video

E-Flight Blade SR

This is a video of my first training flight with the E-Flight Blade SR
I hope to use it to learn how to fly non coaxial helicopters and be a step between a coaxial and a Blade 400.
I did have some problems on my first attempts and some damage but all in all I was happy with the purchase as the damage was light and the cost of repair will hopefully be small.
I did not find it as easy to fly as the hype may have lead to believe.
I tried to keep my inputs small, setting and rates where set to beginner and low.
I looked at it as a training tool to be used as needed to gain flying skills at a relative low cost.
I will make repair and try again and again and ......... until I can fly to some degree of confidence and ready for something bigger.
Consider this a review from a beginners view point, I would give it a 8 out of 10 because it does not have a warning for low battery or even a simple warning led for low battery and as a trainer I think the training gear should be included.

thanks for watching any comments welcome.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 02, 2010, 10:19 PM
It looks like you and I are at about the same skill level. I have been flying the CX2,MCX,and MSR for about two years now and am finding the SR a little difficult also but I am confident that I will be able to fly this bird soon. I do agree that the training gear should be included or at least avaliable for purchase. Don't give up!!!
Mar 03, 2010, 03:34 PM
My first post. I'm a MCX, MSR person too who is stepping up to the SR for the first time. I just received mine yesterday. I have a stupid question. This is the first time I've ever had to remove a canopy. Two noob questions regarding this: (1) Am I right in that I have to FULLY remove it every time I want to change or charge the battery, or is there some trick in sliding it up from the bottom while leaving the grommets on the posts? and (2) Seems like half the time I try to take off the canopy, the black grommet comes out of the canopy when I pull it off the post. Is there a trick to doing this right? I was somewhat amazed that the owners manual said nothing about this. Just want to make sure I'm doing it all right. Can someone just confirm this for a first timer? thanks.
Mar 03, 2010, 03:45 PM
great video, thanks for posting. keep trying, you'll get it.
Mar 03, 2010, 04:26 PM
SouthernHoneyBee
Thread OP
thanks for the post
jamlizzard and rsobel "first post thanks" welcome to RCGroups

rsobel just pulled the canopy out and away from the post then slide the canopy forward to remove, my grommets stayed in place. maybe add some lubricate to the post as they are new and most likely tight fitting.

TexasClouds thanks I'll keep trying awaiting on parts now!

"Am I right in that I have to FULLY remove it every time I want to change or charge the battery"
yep I found that a bit of a puzzle too.

why not shoot some video of your first flight or two to give others and idea of what to expect.
Last edited by SouthernFly; Mar 03, 2010 at 04:28 PM. Reason: gramma
Mar 03, 2010, 07:46 PM
Looks like my attempt to fly the CP- which actually broke quite easily even with the training gear on - thanks I will steer clear of this one.
Mar 03, 2010, 09:07 PM
rrg
rrg
Dont give up, you got it in the air!! Think about getting a sim.
Mar 03, 2010, 10:59 PM
Cool video... what's a "2st atemp"?

Good luck with the SR, looks like you'll do fine.
Mar 04, 2010, 12:16 AM
What? Not a T-Rex!!!

my 2 cents

Hey guys. Thought I would throw out my 2 cents as to what to expect with your first non-coax heli flight. No matter what they say, these helis will not fly themself. Most importantly, unlike the coaxials, these helis will continue doing whatever your last input was. When I switched from the cx2 to the blade 400 a while back that was the hardest part. The best advice I can give you is to counter every movement you give the heli. So if your Blade SR is moving left on you and you want to stop it you have to give it a little right input, but than you have to counter that with a little smaller left movement again to stop it from going right. My mentor told me I had to stop letting the heli fly me and start flying the heli. It didnt make sense than, but sure makes sense now. Your sticks will always be moving, constantly moving, always making very small inputs to counter the last input. It takes a while (read: you will buy lots of blades) but it starts to make sense.
Mar 04, 2010, 12:22 AM
What? Not a T-Rex!!!

cont...

One more thing that helped me a lot going to the 400. Try to find yourself a smooth hard surface to fly on - like your garage floor or a basketball court. Draw yourself a 3 ft square with chalk and put your heli in the middle of that square. Now spool up your heli to where the skids start to get light but dont leave the ground. Your heli will want to slide out of the square. Work on keeping that heli in the square. If the heli skids reach the edge of the square, power down the heli and recenter it in the square and repeat. This is a great way to learn how your heli will respond to stick inputs without the heli getting in the air and crashing. Once you can keep the heli in the square for a full battery pack, try again with the heli in the air an inch or so. Just remember that once the skids reach the edge of the square you have to power down and try again. It's a great technique, I can't remember where I read it - but it's a great way to get started nice and slow without breaking, and it really does work.

Keep trying... it's worth the effort. You will have a blast with your new heli!!!!
Mar 04, 2010, 12:29 AM
What? Not a T-Rex!!!

progress vids

Here's some vids to show progress.... it takes a while:

A month or so after getting my blade 400:
Blade 400 with LED Kit Indoors (2 min 5 sec)

About 10 months later:
Eflite Blade 400 - Loops, Rolls, and near crash (4 min 31 sec)

And about 10 months later again:
JR Vibe 50 Colorado Springs (2 min 47 sec)

This is the best hobby in the world, you can never finish it!

Keep flying - I look forward to watching all your progress!
Dolbydarma
Blade 400, MSH Protos, Hurrican 550, Raptor 30, Vibe 50
Mar 04, 2010, 07:46 PM
You are doing well, I self taught myself to fly heli's 20 years ago, just a little advice: it would be helpful for you to have a larger flat area and some training gear so that you can pactice just 1" off the ground, when you get in trouble you can throttle down without any damage.

Thank you for making the Video because now I know that I'm not the only one with an SR that has a Noisy Tail Rotor Motor
Mar 04, 2010, 07:52 PM

Sr

Good Job
Last edited by Joe Mavaro; Mar 04, 2010 at 07:53 PM. Reason: double post
Mar 06, 2010, 01:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernFly
This is a video of my first training flight with the E-Flight Blade SR
I hope to use it to learn how to fly non coaxial helicopters and be a step between a coaxial and a Blade 400.
I did have some problems on my first attempts and some damage but all in all I was happy with the purchase as the damage was light and the cost of repair will hopefully be small.
I did not find it as easy to fly as the hype may have lead to believe.
I tried to keep my inputs small, setting and rates where set to beginner and low.
I looked at it as a training tool to be used as needed to gain flying skills at a relative low cost.
I will make repair and try again and again and ......... until I can fly to some degree of confidence and ready for something bigger.
Consider this a review from a beginners view point, I would give it a 8 out of 10 because it does not have a warning for low battery or even a simple warning led for low battery and as a trainer I think the training gear should be included.

thanks for watching any comments welcome.
Mar 06, 2010, 10:58 AM
thursday i went to the lhs to pickup a receiver. they had one SR left. the bossman said they had sold six already that week. i asked how much experience is needed, he says none and referenced the eflite video of the guy letting go of controls and also wagging the sticks around. i didn't buy one, but probably would have if i had the dough in my pocket. their opinion on the coaxle stuff is that it really doesn't teach you how to fly a heli. they say get a simulator and a then a heli like the SR.

Quick Reply