Great job though.
denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:35 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,937 Posts
FUSE READY FOR PAINT (Almost...)

One More Little Step Closer
Tonight, after adding the slots in the fasteners with a small piece of copper sheet in my soldering iron, I finished final sanding the fuse. A quick rub down with the 320 grit sanding sponge takes all the raised edges off the burnt rivets to leave the surface smooth and the effect more subtle.

I'm relatively pleased with the way it turned out, but still angry at myself for the 'starved horse' effect discussed earlier in the thread, which is still pretty visible in the light. This will most likely be made more obvious with the aluminium paint. Oh Well!

Just when I thought I was ready for paint, I remembered I still have to make the lower hinge pin mount in the fuse for the rudder, and make the holes for the exhaust pipes... That can be tomorrow night's job, and then it will be ready for paint which I am hoping can be done on the weekend.

Some of the photos aren't the best but hopefully you'll get the idea. Again to see any detail please click on the image itself once it opens in the pop-up window, so it will open in a new page at full size. If you're that interested that is!
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:39 AM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
802 Posts
Look'n real good Gree!
rcwings is offline Find More Posts by rcwings
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:41 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,937 Posts
Thanks man. I appreciate that. Funny thing, I was just flicking through the images and spotted somewhere I missed putting 3 rivets. I had to get out of of bed and go down to the basement to add them quickly. I can sleep sound now.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:10 AM
swede
United States, MA, Lowell
Joined Aug 2005
3,829 Posts
I was going to mention the 3 missing rivets, but I didn't want to be picky.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:04 AM
Joined Aug 2008
465 Posts
Gree,

Dude, that is just crazy good work, and this is your "Learner" project?!!!!!
Unreal.
Can't wait for the next installment.

al
rossaer is offline Find More Posts by rossaer
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:26 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,759 Posts
If anyone comments on the starved horse look, it is only because they are jealous of your plane.
Have you decided how you are going to get your battery hatch open?
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:24 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,937 Posts
That's a good question.

I plan on drilling a hole in the hatch that I can put a small Allen key into, that will enable me to lift the hatch out. I'll reinforce the area inside with some aluminium... Because the anti glare strip will be flat black it shouldn't be very obvious.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:13 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,937 Posts
The rudder was successfully test fitted with its new lower hinge tonight.

I also drilled a couple of holes in a board I had lying around, and bolted the fuse to it through the motor mount. Now it is ready to paint all in one hit without having to wait for the top to dry before flipping it over to paint the bottom. It is a heavy board as well so it is very stable...

So, when I get some good weather and some time, I'll make it all shiny....
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:11 AM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,759 Posts
Looking real nice. I am ready to fiberglass my fuse... can you tell me where you put your seams?
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:33 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,937 Posts
From memory I think I glassed the sides with the seams on the top and the bottom. But it doesn't really matter because it disappears during the finishing process anyway...
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:40 PM
Limey Jeff
Glastonbury, Somerset. U.K.
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree View Post
Ouch!

Yes but you're right there... What is EVERYONE going to take Jeff's lead (the crazy Jeff in the UK I mean)? I'm more delicate than you all think you know!
My plan of getting everyone to dump on you seems to be working, I figured that the only way you'll get any sensible and kind words from us is to finish it

Gree, like the man said earlier, when it's finished (like I should live so long!) put it in a case and display it. Then go out and buy a R.T.F. P.47 and fly that until you're not scared anymore..then fly this one. Mind you, with all those rivets ther'll be so much drag you'll probably be able to walk alongside it!!

Jeff
Jeff Glasser is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Glasser
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:46 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,937 Posts
Jeff it will probably be too heavy to fly. I do have a CMP 60 size zero that is my practice plane. I have flown it a few times but not recently. I'll practice like hell on that before taking this one into the sky.

And you can't fool me. I see the love underneath your veil of sarcasm and barbs. You're just a big soft teddy bear aren't you? :P
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:03 PM
swede
United States, MA, Lowell
Joined Aug 2005
3,829 Posts
I agree. It's probably too heavy to fly. You should ship it to the States. You'd better not risk such a thing of beauty. It's much better suited for my place.