HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 29, 2008, 08:25 PM
Dallas
Joined Feb 2008
95 Posts
Mini-Review
Went to my LHS today........and found a Nine Eagles

I got a chance to check out the Nine Eagles explorer, they did not have a demo but after looking it over I realized it is not just another lama clone, it is noticeably larger than the lama v3. I will compare to the Walkera 5#10 as they are close in price and I have only had the 5#10 for about a week now.

First impressions out of the box:
Nine Eagles didn't just make a heli clone and stick in the box and ship over to america. Three colors of paint on the tail alone, I find that attention to detail impressive. It feels like it almost weights nothing at all though AUW is suppose to be 228grams. I can use my 2s 800mah esky and mystery batteries! Lucky for me no extra batteries to buy.

Things to Note.
Battery Tray:
NEE: nice and easy, it resembles the lama in a way where as the battery is bit higher than the skids, my theory is the reason I have not broke my lama skids is because of this, it only allows the skids to flex to a certin point until the battery hits and stops the skids from flexing further. Though no clips on the tray to mess with, just slide the 2s in and your ready to go.

5#10: PIA, remove the canopy to get the battery in and out, and the canopy is not easily fitted back on.

TX:
NEE: every stick is always a little bit different right? I like the NE TX controls are smooth. what I don't like is any "Bling" my transmitters, say it with me now 'keep the bling on the machine!', if you have to look down at for anything its either the sun or lights bouncing right off it. Lacks a power meter unless the single red light starts blinking when the batts are low, but I did not see that in the manual.

5#10 the Walkera 408 is like a big 405, personally I love the feel of walkera transmitters, they feel silky smooth to me but require delicate hands. This is mostly a matter of preference, both do the job they are suppose to do.

Instruction Manual
NEE: More comprehensive than the 5#10 manual by a good bit. very important it included a section of PRE-FLIGHT check for the maiden flight, to make sure nothing came loose in shipping or anything. Most people who have owned a coax or FP or CP know this already but that is important knowledge for the first time buyer/flyer. Oh, and it was written by a fluent english speaker, I cannot say that for all manuals.

5#10: was the basics, not much more, but the english was much better in this walkera manuals than previous ones.

Charging:
Well 2s 800mah charge in less than hour on my balance charger which is what size the NEE uses.
The 1s 1000mah pack for the 5#10 charge in 2hrs on the included charger err.

ok ok ok how does it fly?? heheh make sure you check the pictures they all have descriptions.

I used the balance charger that came with NEE, and it was done in a flash.

NEE:
First spin-up, not a single vibration anywhere, I like that. Lift off and trim the rudder once and once only for the whole flight. Guess what it hovered great until enough air was moving around in the room, then it would hover for a bit
then slide sideways or some other direction and continue its hover till the next blast of air. Flight in all directions where great. I did not take it to hard, though I did mange to chip a blade on furniture. I will add more about flight the more I fly it. Flys better than my Lama V3, but its not a whole new world.
The blades made a nice sound as they cut through the air. The motors? omg they screamed at me, sounded like the brushes are screeching away in there,
maybe they just need some more flight time or alignment or something. The motors are loud. Sitting still the NEE is dead quiet.
Oh almost forgot the most important thing.... those blades? the motors? whichever or some of both, EXCELLENT lift, cut throttle at 6ft re-engaged did not hit the deck. Flight time was no 12 minutes, hopefully I just did not have a good charge because the flight time was very short and it should be 12 minutes according to the manual. For the time it did fly it was a joy to fly right of the box, true RTF.

5#10
7-10 Flights so far. Quiet, very minus the servo whine but you only hear that when your on the deck. I had to trim the rudder 5 or 6 times durning the flight. The 5#10 is very nimble, yet I think a shorter flybar would definatly help out forward flight. Responsive as was the NEE. Both are right on the dot you want to put them on I really like the 5#10 flight characteristics, everything seems so smooth yet sharp at the same time. I love taking it into banked turns with no blade clack. I need to try that with the NEE. Flight time was around 7-8 minutes, the average I have been getting. oh I cut the throttle at 6ft with the 5#10 to, it bounced, not near the same lift.

Overall:
5#10, NEE both good out of the box RTF, I would consider buying both of them again, though I need some more time with both them before I can say that with absolute confidence. I had my doubts about the NEE from what I have seen here and my research on the web, but seeing how different it was at my LHS changed my mind enough to purchase one, I am glad I did. I am also happy I purchased the 5#10.

hopefully this is helpful to anyone debating a future purchase in this price range.

eww, I saw in the manual there is a night eagle with factory nav lights.. wonder when that is coming out, i know u can add nav lights to anything its kinda cool they come stock.

cheers!
blade_breaker is offline Find More Posts by blade_breaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2008, 08:44 PM
Californication
Joined Nov 2007
1,234 Posts
Agreed wholeheartedly.

NEE is an exceptionally well performing helicopter.

You notice how far into depletion of the battery the NEE will STILL jump into the air?

It's in the rotors.

I'm still waiting to see parts online, but love this helicopter.

Regards
rbinc is offline Find More Posts by rbinc
Old Mar 29, 2008, 09:03 PM
Dallas
Joined Feb 2008
95 Posts
second charge I got the 12 minutes I was looking for and then some...
pushed it hard, it performed.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 08:07 AM
Vermont
Joined Dec 2007
5 Posts
Nine Eagles vs Colco Lama V

Great review Blade_Breaker. I'm starting to read a lot of good things about this heli. I'm wondering if anyone knows how it compares to the Colco Lama V, (which recently dropped in price from $115 to $90). They look similer and both claim to be very stable fliers. Anyone have some first hand info for comparison?
bluesdaddy2 is offline Find More Posts by bluesdaddy2
Old Mar 30, 2008, 09:30 AM
United States, OR, Independence
Joined Feb 2008
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesdaddy2
Great review Blade_Breaker. I'm starting to read a lot of good things about this heli. I'm wondering if anyone knows how it compares to the Colco Lama V, (which recently dropped in price from $115 to $90). They look similer and both claim to be very stable fliers. Anyone have some first hand info for comparison?
What does the Colco Lama V look like and where can I get one?
Bing44 is offline Find More Posts by Bing44
Old Mar 30, 2008, 11:33 AM
Dallas
Joined Feb 2008
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesdaddy2
it looks like it has the same frame and setup as this one the Colco IV, http://www.bananahobby.com/1334.html

Attached is a picture of what is left of mine in under ten flights, true I was not a good pilot then, but things broke immediately. If you are just getting into flying I would not recommend it. First two flights your skids and tail will break almost guaranteed, skids are just poorly designed. Its not the same as Nine Eagles, it is smaller like the esky lama. The only thing different is the sliding swash which did perform very nicely, but did not make up for its other short comings. I would highly suggest a Esky lama for the low price of 69$ or for not much more than the price range u mentioned you could get a Nine Eagles, I asked my LHS and they said they would mail order, they have a really good price right now. The Nine Eagles has different airframe all together as does the Esky lama. the airframe for the IV & V are not crash friendly but if ur not going to crash it, go for it. Things will break if u crash anything enough, just on my colco lama IV something broke seemingly every crash. Not the case with my esky lama or Nine Eagles so far, and today I did have one very violent crash with the Nine Eagles, everything made it out alive minus a blade. the Colco IV probably would have had a few parts to replace.

Hope this helps.
and true I am not good pilot now, just better lol

oh google 'colco lama V' and u can find some rave reviews. good reviews or not it doesn't hold up.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 02:16 PM
Suspended Account
Pittsburgh PA
Joined Dec 2004
2,365 Posts
blade breaker, try moving the swash linkage to the inner ball, cyclic responce is almost out of hand for a coax if you really bang the sticks, and it has enough power to recover in fast foreward to backward movements.

i believe the coco lama uses a sliding swash instead of a tilting swash, so it is limited in performance

PS: i just bought another NEE on ebay for 61.00 NIB! good thing not too many know about them yet!
Cable Guy is offline Find More Posts by Cable Guy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 30, 2008, 06:11 PM
Californication
Joined Nov 2007
1,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cable Guy
blade breaker, try moving the swash linkage to the inner ball, cyclic responce is almost out of hand for a coax if you really bang the sticks, and it has enough power to recover in fast foreward to backward movements.

i believe the coco lama uses a sliding swash instead of a tilting swash, so it is limited in performance

PS: i just bought another NEE on ebay for 61.00 NIB! good thing not too many know about them yet!
Are you seeing the same performance nearly all the way through a pack where the heli will still climb so quickly one must use caution on the throttle stick? And the pack is just lukewarm when power drops off compared to a quite warm pack in the CX2 that gives up such radical climb outs long before the pack is depleted. This can only be rotor efficiency, as the drive systems are nearly identical to the rest of the coaxials; same 180s, pinion and driven gear sizes.

I've got a large indoor shop and can get this heli in full speed fore or aft and then slam full opposite elevator and it will not clash. Not only that, but it won't even porpoise anything like a CX2 or Lama; just goes the other way. This is obviously the blade rigidity. The only down side here is that the blades are likely brittle. I haven't crashed yet, but I expect they won't tolerate impacts any better than the CX2. On the up side, since clash is not an issue, you have to actually run this heli into a stationary object to crash it. And since it flies so stable out of the box, it's likely that the incidence of this is reduced for the beginner.

One thing I notice as well is the much better performance in "ground effect". Must be a combination of the rotors and fuselage because this helicopter is far more stable 6 inches off the ground than any other coaxial I've flown. Attached is a picture where I'm on the sticks as a precaution, but just the most minor cyclic is required to keep it where it is. It's ALMOST handsfree at 6 inches off the deck.

Regards
Old Mar 31, 2008, 09:42 AM
Joined May 2007
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cable Guy
I have to politely disagree. Colco V can pirroutte like nothing out there in its class. It is very responsive. Mine is totally stock and the only thing I've ever broken was the landing skid which I wrapped with thread and CA'd it. Stronger than ever. My blades have taken a beating too, all nicked up, and yet I have never broken one nor changed them out. Stills flys remarkably well for such dinged blades. My Lama 3 and my BCX2 would never fly that well with dinged up blades.

So..........therefore, you can tell I like the Colco, and its sliding swashplate. I have NEVER adjusted anything, not even the proportional and it flys perfect out of the box.

Roger
Racer57 is offline Find More Posts by Racer57
Old Mar 31, 2008, 11:26 AM
Dallas
Joined Feb 2008
95 Posts
I never adjusted the swash either, I think it worked fine, haha to quote myself "very nicely" but I was very hard on it, but I was also very hard on my lama v3 and it did better holding up to crashes minus the tail truss which on any lama is easy to break. Now I did have a Colco IV, looks just like the V, but i have found that pictures don't tell the whole story.

Are the skids better on the V than the IV?
Last edited by blade_breaker; Mar 31, 2008 at 11:32 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 02:51 PM
Suspended Account
Pittsburgh PA
Joined Dec 2004
2,365 Posts
Racer, i am not putting the sliding swash design down at all. the Hirobo coax helis all use them and like you i have never had a problem with them. a piro is a yaw induced manuever not swash driven. the slider is limited to the size of the swash bearing and cant be pushed past that , therefore it is limited, whereas you can move control links on any of the tilting swashes for more travel. thats all i was trying to say.

happy landings!
Cable Guy is offline Find More Posts by Cable Guy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 31, 2008, 04:42 PM
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Dec 2006
366 Posts
So would it be possible to retrofit the Nine Eagles blades on a Walkera or Esky?
simontan is offline Find More Posts by simontan
Old Mar 31, 2008, 04:54 PM
Californication
Joined Nov 2007
1,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simontan
So would it be possible to retrofit the Nine Eagles blades on a Walkera or Esky?
Probably, but it isn't just the rotors. The helicopter seems lighter than the CX2 (my powder scale can't weigh the complete helicopter). And the 4-in-1 seems superior as well. NO gyro gain was necessary for a perfect piro-stop tail and no proportional adjustment was required either. Nine Eagles doesn't even detail any adjustments in the manual. Came out of the box almost perfect with maybe a click or two left rudder on the trim. Rudder trim seems to have a much wider range, so you can adjust proportional just with trim. No more fooling with pots on the 4-in-1!

Regards
Old Mar 31, 2008, 08:43 PM
Dallas
Joined Feb 2008
95 Posts
I was thinking that from the get go I wanted to try these blades on my lama v3, I just weighed the blades though, NEE 4.6grams and Lama v3 3.0grams quite a difference, I do not want to risk burning out my motors or 4n1 on my lama v3 just cause I put heavier blades(load) on it. It would probably be fine but I cannot say for sure, NEE design for 4.6gram blades, lama v3 designed for 3.0gram blades. I wish I had an extreme blade to weight, they look heavier than stock... anyone?
Old May 21, 2008, 12:33 AM
Bad Spirit
Washington
Joined Feb 2008
319 Posts
I own several RC helicopters. Most notably a Blade CX2 and a Walkera 5#10. This helicopter sounds very nice and tempting, but I have to ask. Is there a feasible way to change the look of one of these? This is my personal opinion and no offense, but I find the Bell 47/Lama look with the bubble canopy and strutted tail silly looking, even if it is more realistic. I like a sleeker sport type canopy and shaft-like tail of the CX2 and 5#10. Thanks!

-Brian
HeliBYS is offline Find More Posts by HeliBYS