Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 03, 2008, 03:51 AM
Stockholm, Sweden, Europe
Joined Feb 2008
27 Posts
Discussion
Newbie question - HoneyBee King 2

A couple of days ago I received the RTF King 2 box.

My problem is that when I connect the power cable I do not get the three beeps ("BI BI BI") from the ESC. The manual says I should get it. The gyro lights up and fixes itself though.

Anyone knows what could be the problem?

(it's the standard King 2 kit, no upgrades etc)

Appreciate any input or lead - I am totally new to heli-flying, thanks!
korven is offline Find More Posts by korven
Last edited by korven; Feb 03, 2008 at 03:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2008, 04:03 AM
Joined Dec 2007
48 Posts
Do you get rudder control? ... with my HBK2, if the trims are off centre when I power up, I dont get the beeps and the rudder servo wont work
rs3tier is offline Find More Posts by rs3tier
Old Feb 03, 2008, 04:09 AM
Joined Feb 2008
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs3tier
Do you get rudder control? ... with my HBK2, if the trims are off centre when I power up, I dont get the beeps and the rudder servo wont work
All servos work, and gets adjusted on power up, so that part seem fine. I've also "hovered" on the floor (ie skids still on ground) at about 50-60% power just to get some feel of the controls, it "responds well" as far as I can tell, ie moves left/right, forw/backw and I am able to have the tail where I want it. But it's difficult

The problem is the beeps that dont come.
Old Feb 03, 2008, 04:19 AM
Piro-maniac
Aiken, SC
Joined Feb 2007
1,262 Posts
BIBIBIBI is Esky language for "BuyBuyBuyBuy the brushless motor and ESC".

The stock brushed ESC and motor don't beep. All is well. Cancel yellow alert...
shizack is offline Find More Posts by shizack
Old Feb 03, 2008, 04:35 AM
Joined Feb 2008
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shizack
BIBIBIBI is Esky language for "BuyBuyBuyBuy the brushless motor and ESC".

The stock brushed ESC and motor don't beep. All is well. Cancel yellow alert...
Thank you!

- a bit strange with the manual saying it should. I think in general the manual is confusing and not very complete, it sort of creates more questions than answers.

Other newbie questions: the trainer switch located top right just flexes back on my transmitter, it looks like a switch and I would assume it should be able to take on two positions?

Has anyone succeded in using FMS (the flightsim) in Vista? I only get errors. Any other good (free or cheap) flightsim that can be used with the standard transmitter and trainer cable?

thanks!
Last edited by korven; Feb 03, 2008 at 04:48 AM.
Old Feb 03, 2008, 05:03 AM
Piro-maniac
Aiken, SC
Joined Feb 2007
1,262 Posts
All the Esky manuals are a bit vague - you need to put on your Chinglish translator to figure them out.

The trainer switch is supposed to spring back. Example:

You and I both have the 0406A transmitter, connected with a trainer cable. I take off and get into a hover and say, "You ready?" You say, "I guess...". I pull and hold the switch. Your controller now controls the bird. Things get shaky - you say, "Take it! Take it!", so I let go of the switch and regain control.

That's all the switch is for.

Unless you have a newer version of the transmitter with dip switches accessible through holes in the battery compartment, you'll need a special cable (i.e. the MileHighWings USB cable) to use it with a sim. This is because of the built-in cyclic and pitch mixing in the TX. Mine doesn't have the switches, so I don't know which ones to flip to disable the mixing.
shizack is offline Find More Posts by shizack
Old Feb 03, 2008, 08:15 AM
Too dumb to upload an avatar.
On the LIRR somewhere
Joined Jan 2007
2,405 Posts
Also, the King2 manual says the gyro turns green when its ready. That's baloney. It goes from flashing red to solid red. Also, check your belt tension on your new King2. They pretty much all come way too tight. Your brushed motor will thank you for it. Maybe you'll get 10 flights out of it instead of 5 if you loosen it up.
chrise2 is offline Find More Posts by chrise2
Old Feb 03, 2008, 02:34 PM
bao
It was on fire when i arrived!
France, RA, La Laupie
Joined Dec 2007
609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by korven
A couple of days ago I received the RTF King 2 box.

My problem is that when I connect the power cable I do not get the three beeps ("BI BI BI") from the ESC. The manual says I should get it. The gyro lights up and fixes itself though.

Anyone knows what could be the problem?

(it's the standard King 2 kit, no upgrades etc)

Appreciate any input or lead - I am totally new to heli-flying, thanks!
Ok dont worry!!!
Its completely normal you dont get bi bi bi .....its the stock esc and they do no bips they just work.
the upgrade esc (EK1-0350) does however give 3 short beeps to show what mode it is in. it can be programmed but only to 2 settings "brake on" "brake off" and the bips differ.
But dont worry about the stock one
same for the Gyro .....the esky stock gyro does never go green, it will flicker very fast red and then becomesolid red about 10 or15 seconds later..When it is solid red your good to go.
I hope this helps n happy flying
bao is offline Find More Posts by bao
Old Feb 03, 2008, 02:50 PM
The Tenth Dimension
Auburn, CA
Joined Dec 2006
452 Posts
If the controls are steady and responsive then all is well.
nieb15 is offline Find More Posts by nieb15
Old Feb 03, 2008, 03:35 PM
Google 'Blade 400 bible'
Joined Nov 2006
2,776 Posts
Clearview is a GREAT sim.. nearly as good as the VERY expensive sims and only $40 with a free demo.
Slyster is offline Find More Posts by Slyster
Old Feb 03, 2008, 04:48 PM
Joined Feb 2008
27 Posts
Thanks all for insightful clarifications! Now I'll return to the livingroom floor for a while to see if I can get the skids off the ground without braking something, snow will stop me for a couple of months more to break it outside :-)

//korven - Stockholm, Sweden
Old Feb 03, 2008, 07:39 PM
Somewhere in central Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2007
835 Posts
I got about 10 flights out of my stock motor.
I knew it was close when it started showing signs of lack of power.
I had to turn the Hov Pit knob (right side) fully clockwise to get more pitch
so the thing would fly. Next battery the motor refused to run. My belt was properly tensioned.
I never got any beeps out of mine either. Just flashing red to solid red. Takes about 3 to 5 seconds before the rudder responds.
cbxer55 is offline Find More Posts by cbxer55
Old Feb 03, 2008, 07:42 PM
Somewhere in central Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2007
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by korven
Thanks all for insightful clarifications! Now I'll return to the livingroom floor for a while to see if I can get the skids off the ground without braking something, snow will stop me for a couple of months more to break it outside :-)

//korven - Stockholm, Sweden
If you are flying it indoors, watch out!
This puppy is not like any of the co-axials out there.
Once them skids come up, it starts to wander big time.
I am still having a hard time keeping it in a 5 foot diameter circle.
I fly it in my garage right now, with two motorcycles parked therein.
I have yet to hit the bikes, but have gotten close a couple of times.
It actually is more stable if you can get it about 4 feet off of the ground.
Just like the co-axs, it wanders bad below that due to the turbulence ot creates.
cbxer55 is offline Find More Posts by cbxer55