HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:11 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,940 Posts
These V4's must be REALLY AWESOME!!! I'd say it's almost that time to start flying in the hall. Yes, flying....as in, NOT grounded

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:40 PM
USA, Eastern Ohio
Joined Jan 2005
974 Posts
Hope this isn't outta line but if anyone is looking for a good supply of parts or a couple complete flying helis, I've got mine for sale as a package.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1766144
Tag1260 is offline Find More Posts by Tag1260
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:39 PM
Joined Oct 2012
37 Posts
Forgot how it came apart

Good evening,

I just stripped down and rebuilt my Lama V3 tonight - it's basically a V4 in an Alouette Lama body, as you probably know..

When replacing the main gear on the bottom of the 4mm shaft there's a small brass washer that sits either above or below the 4x8x3mm bearing.
(The washer isn't even listed in the exploded diagram that came with the instructions. )

This washer has a ridge on its inside circumference - should that be up or down ?

And I assume the washer goes between the bearing and the main gear wheel right ?
Boris13 is offline Find More Posts by Boris13
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:37 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris13 View Post
Good evening,

I just stripped down and rebuilt my Lama V3 tonight - it's basically a V4 in an Alouette Lama body, as you probably know..

When replacing the main gear on the bottom of the 4mm shaft there's a small brass washer that sits either above or below the 4x8x3mm bearing.
(The washer isn't even listed in the exploded diagram that came with the instructions. )

This washer has a ridge on its inside circumference - should that be up or down ?

And I assume the washer goes between the bearing and the main gear wheel right ?
The washer goes on with the "ridge" facing the bearing so it contacts the inner race of the bearing = UP. The bearing fits into the recess in the frame and the washer goes between the bearing and the gear. At least you didn't lose it!
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:22 AM
Joined Oct 2012
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
The washer goes on with the "ridge" facing the bearing so it contacts the inner race of the bearing = UP. At least you didn't lose it!
Thanks Kodak_jack,
I suppose it makes sense - so that it's facing the bearing.
Didn't loose it, but I've had this thing apart maybe 100 times over the past 3
months. I'm good at wrecking the gear for the lower rotor for some reason.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:48 AM
Joined Mar 2008
10,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris13 View Post
Thanks Kodak_jack,
I suppose it makes sense - so that it's facing the bearing.
Didn't loose it, but I've had this thing apart maybe 100 times over the past 3
months. I'm good at wrecking the gear for the lower rotor for some reason.
Welcome, this should refresh your memory...
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=69665

That brass washer can be a bugger. Ask me how I know

Mike.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:37 AM
Joined Oct 2012
37 Posts
-Bookmarked. Thanks
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:13 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,714 Posts
When it looks as if you're going to crash, kill the throttle immediately. You're lucky if you just wreck a gear. Taking out a $$$$$$ 4-in-1 is something you don't want to do.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:49 AM
Joined Mar 2008
10,940 Posts
Quote:
When it looks as if you're going to crash, kill the throttle immediately. You're lucky if you just wreck a gear. Taking out a $$$$$$ 4-in-1 is something you don't want to do.
Jack, was this post meant to go in the CX2 thread? You know....the member with the heavy foot

Mike.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:21 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,028 Posts
Hey guys,

It's only me. I'm so excited about a new purchase I just have to tell someone. LOL

I ordered one of the new Lamas that's about the size of a Big Lama... just a bit bigger.
This is the most detailed helicopter I've ever taken out of the box. It is so well done, I am afraid to fly it. 3 rotor head and although it can be flown as a "fixed pitch" bird, it also has CP and will fly upside down. I never intend to try that. That's just not real helicopter flying to me.
It's those guys who are so smooth on the sticks you can hardly tell it's a model. I ran it up to 100% throttle with full down pitch and it sounds exactly like the detailed turbine motor is making the noise. This one has a functional tail rotor also. Shaft/gear driven. The turbine engine displays a bright red light inside and there are other functional navigation lights. Blades are made of pure carbon. I can give it a tiny bit of "up" pitch and run it up to about 70% and it starts to get light on the skids. We have wood floors and a vacant living room that is 14x30'.... so last night I held a tiny bit of pitch on it and when it got light on the skids, I could "fly" it all over the place as it slid on the shiny floor. Very expensive and hard to fly.
Sure does make a beautiful display piece though.

Buzz
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:30 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
8,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Hey guys,

It's only me. I'm so excited about a new purchase I just have to tell someone. LOL

I ordered one of the new Lamas that's about the size of a Big Lama... just a bit bigger.
This is the most detailed helicopter I've ever taken out of the box. It is so well done, I am afraid to fly it. 3 rotor head and although it can be flown as a "fixed pitch" bird, it also has CP and will fly upside down. I never intend to try that. That's just not real helicopter flying to me.
It's those guys who are so smooth on the sticks you can hardly tell it's a model. I ran it up to 100% throttle with full down pitch and it sounds exactly like the detailed turbine motor is making the noise. This one has a functional tail rotor also. Shaft/gear driven. The turbine engine displays a bright red light inside and there are other functional navigation lights. Blades are made of pure carbon. I can give it a tiny bit of "up" pitch and run it up to about 70% and it starts to get light on the skids. We have wood floors and a vacant living room that is 14x30'.... so last night I held a tiny bit of pitch on it and when it got light on the skids, I could "fly" it all over the place as it slid on the shiny floor. Very expensive and hard to fly.
Sure does make a beautiful display piece though.

Buzz
could you provide a link to it or at least some pictures of what heli you are talking about ?
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:38 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Jack, was this post meant to go in the CX2 thread? You know....the member with the heavy foot

Mike.
It applies to just about anybody with a lead foot, including old firemen!
When was the last time anybody got on here and talked about buying a new Lama? My A-300/ Lama 4 is a year old already. To be honest about it, Esky has dropped down so low in the popularity scale that I don't even know what they offer anymore.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:10 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
11,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
could you provide a link to it or at least some pictures of what heli you are talking about ?
Sure, here are some photos that really don't do it justice. If y ou want to see the advertisement w/videos... go here:

http://www.helipal.com/walkera-hm-4f...FQf0nAoddXQAXA
Last edited by Buzz; Nov 25, 2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:31 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,714 Posts
WOW!! I don't know if I would be able to fly something that looks that good just sitting there. It's a shelf queen.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:18 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
11,028 Posts
Quote:
WOW!! I don't know if I would be able to fly something that looks that good just sitting there. It's a shelf queen.
Heh Heh.... I haven't flown it yet. Mainly because of all the detail. Yikes!

Buzz