HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:16 AM
Amherst, NH
Joined Apr 2005
324 Posts
Contest
2014 ALES at the Soaring NATS

Hi. My name is David Beach and I'm here to be your CD and help you have a good time at the NATS ALES event. The purpose of this thread is to address any questions you may have about logistics or rules prior to the event.

Here's the executive summary of the 2014 ALES NATS Contest:

Launching: 200 meter launch altitude limit - everyone launches the same direction to start. Launch/landing positions will be randomly assigned.
Flying: 10 minute task
Landing: Everyone lands coming in from the same direction - no circling low in the landing zone. 5 meter "option 2" landing tape with 1/2 meter increments - no balling up of the tape allowed.
Gap between one flight group landing and the next launching: 5 minutes between rounds
How many flying: More than 30
How many flight groups: At least 4 groups
When do we start on Friday, August 1: 8:30 AM Pilots Meeting
When do we start on Saturday, August 2: 8:00 AM Pilots Meeting

Registration is via mail and must be postmarked by June 26th. If you haven't done so already, point your browser to http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/2...lEntryForm.pdf and get it in the mail today.

This year's contest is at Flying Site #4 on the south end of the property. The AMA site map is at http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/Map2007.pdf

Site rules and instructions for campers is at http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/106.pdf

ALES is AMA Rulebook Event 631 in the electric rulebook (see http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/2...14Electric.pdf). Refer to sections 1, 4.1 and 4.25.

I view my job as CD is to ensure that we have a safe and fair contest. With cooperation from the pilots and the weather I know we'll have a good time.

Ask your questions now and we can avoid any surprises during the event.

David
dbeach is offline Find More Posts by dbeach
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:42 AM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,504 Posts
Only question is why the heck aren't you flying instead of CD'ing!!!

JT
jtlsf5 is offline Find More Posts by jtlsf5
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:00 AM
Thermal Junkie
Joined Sep 2008
3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeach View Post
. Launch/landing positions will be randomly assigned.
What's the purpose of this? I flew in one ALES contest where they did this and I failed to see the point. It just seemed to be one more thing to keep track off for the pilots. Just wondering about the whys and howcomzits of it? If I ever get a field to hold a contest, it might be an item to think about.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:01 AM
Amherst, NH
Joined Apr 2005
324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlsf5 View Post
Only question is why the heck aren't you flying instead of CD'ing!!!

JT
I wanted to get out with a XC team this year, so Skye and I swapped events. Maybe next year I'll be looking for those elusive 20 pilot wins and have to fly.

David
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:15 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadchucker View Post
What's the purpose of this? I flew in one ALES contest where they did this and I failed to see the point. It just seemed to be one more thing to keep track off for the pilots. Just wondering about the whys and howcomzits of it? If I ever get a field to hold a contest, it might be an item to think about.
Preston, it's very easy to do at the Nats as the software used to generate the MOM matrices also randomizes winch assignments (or launch positions for ALES). You may have noticed the rush to the west end of the field at the Polecat, there was good reason for this as I got to know the field; randomizing launch positions precludes this kind of field bias by those that recognize a slight advantage to being at one end or the other.

JT
Old Jun 18, 2014, 12:45 PM
Amherst, NH
Joined Apr 2005
324 Posts
Regarding - Launch/landing positions will be randomly assigned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadchucker View Post
The launch/landing positions will be printed on the scorecards. If you can keep track of your group, you should be able to find your spot as well.

In addition to JT's comment (which is valid), I'll also mention that the rush for prime launching positions can be a safety issue. There were times at the Polecat when the upcoming group started crowding the flight line before everyone in the current group had landed. Less chaos at the flight line during landings is good for everyone.

David
Old Jun 18, 2014, 01:07 PM
Thermal Junkie
Joined Sep 2008
3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlsf5 View Post
Preston,

I'm not Preston, but thank you for the promotion in both intellectual prowess and philosophical dialogue.

Warren
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2014, 02:19 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,504 Posts
Sorry bout that. Still foggy from all the travel around the Polecat!

JT
Old Jul 14, 2014, 01:51 PM
Amherst, NH
Joined Apr 2005
324 Posts
48 registered ALES pilots this year!

The registered pilot list has been posted to http://www.ales.org/ESLScoreResults....98&instance=52

In several cases I've taken the liberty of using 'ALES League' names instead of the name supplied to me by the AMA. If your name is misspelled, or you prefer to be called by a different name please let me know.

Group assignments will be generated on July 20th and posted here on RC Groups as well as on the ALES League website. We will be using yellow scorecards that many of you have become accustomed to, but this year we will also be posting results online during the competition.

David
Old Jul 14, 2014, 01:56 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,332 Posts
Quote:
this year we will also be posting results online during the competition.

David
Awesome! You are quite the computer whiz David.
Curtis Suter is offline Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 15, 2014, 09:47 AM
You looking at me?
USA, KY, Burlington
Joined Sep 2001
1,495 Posts
Sounds good Dave! Any thought on how many groups there will be?

Ed
Ed Franz is offline Find More Posts by Ed Franz
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:58 AM
Amherst, NH
Joined Apr 2005
324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Franz View Post
Sounds good Dave! Any thought on how many groups there will be?

Ed
Thoughts, but no decisions yet. I'm leaning towards 4 groups of up to 12 pilots with 5 minutes of prep time. If there are no weather (or other) delays we might get as many as 8 rounds done per day. But, that puts people 'on their feet' for 30 minutes of every hour which might be tough for some if the heat is oppressive.

I think five groups is out. Too much timer confusion since one fifth of the participants will have to time twice each round.

Plan B would be to go with 6 groups which will give us a maximum of five rounds per day.

With either option we can set the prep time down to as little as 3 minutes, or up to 10 minutes.

Comments?
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:11 AM
Klutzsquatch
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Oct 2006
387 Posts
sequencing the groups

Please allow enough interval between rounds for timers to hook up with their pilots. If you stage the next group up "on deck" pilots may need to identify a timer with at least a two to three of groups separation.
mgroves is offline Find More Posts by mgroves
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:49 AM
Amherst, NH
Joined Apr 2005
324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgroves View Post
Please allow enough interval between rounds for timers to hook up with their pilots. If you stage the next group up "on deck" pilots may need to identify a timer with at least a two to three of groups separation.
Mark,

We will only fly one group at a time, so timer group separation is typically not an issue. As long as you efficiently manage your battery charging it is possible for you to time and fly in back to back groups.

The group assignments will be published early next week to allow pilots to get timers lined up before the day of the contest. If you don't have any "NATS flying buddies" who are traveling with you, this thread might be a good place to look for them.

David
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:09 PM
You looking at me?
USA, KY, Burlington
Joined Sep 2001
1,495 Posts
Quote:
Thoughts, but no decisions yet. I'm leaning towards 4 groups of up to 12 pilots with 5 minutes of prep time. If there are no weather (or other) delays we might get as many as 8 rounds done per day. But, that puts people 'on their feet' for 30 minutes of every hour which might be tough for some if the heat is oppressive.

I think five groups is out. Too much timer confusion since one fifth of the participants will have to time twice each round.

Plan B would be to go with 6 groups which will give us a maximum of five rounds per day.

With either option we can set the prep time down to as little as 3 minutes, or up to 10 minutes.

Comments?
Well...... While 4 would make for the most flying it would be tough on the older pilots if it is hot. (most likely). 6 like at Polecat works, but can make for a long time between flights. I kind of like five, smaller groups slightly more down time. It also depends on how the field is set up. If the flight line starts near the tents and goes out in the field it can be a long walk. If the flight line is like Polecat it is not as bad. Hard to tell how it will set up on site 4. A plus is smaller groups makes landings less congested.

So..... I guess it depends on how much time between flight groups.

Ed
Ed Franz is offline Find More Posts by Ed Franz