Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 16, 2014, 07:26 AM
GILL
United States, NJ, Hopatcong
Joined Aug 2005
2,548 Posts
Discussion
Nancy m tug build

I was hired to build the NANCY M tug. I am starting with the wood kit Dumas Shelly Foss as a base, The basic dimensions are almost the same. Pete whom I am building for is a member of South Orange Seaport Society (I am the Commodore) and has a number of great pictures of the Nancy M. This boat will be fully lighted. Running lights, deck lights, cabin and pilot house lights, 2 spot lights. Plus the tow lights (stern and long/short tow mast). Pete is building his own sound unit.
GILL RC is offline Find More Posts by GILL RC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2014, 08:12 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,738 Posts
Well John, so much for your "retiring"---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Jun 16, 2014, 09:15 AM
North Central TN USA
Joined May 2006
3,563 Posts
They should look the same, the Nancy M WAS the Shelly Foss.
420TEE is offline Find More Posts by 420TEE
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:23 AM
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Jun 2008
1,333 Posts
That info is correct.

http://www.tugboatinformation.com/tug.cfm?id=1301

And a thread here with lots of pictures of the shelly/nancy

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2146554
igotit is online now Find More Posts by igotit
Last edited by igotit; Jun 16, 2014 at 11:03 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 03:19 PM
GILL
Joined Aug 2005
2,548 Posts
NANCY M a

Officially I have retired, but not from model building. I have 6 aircraft and 7 boats that I am working on.
I will add as I have time. I started the build the middle of March. and finished the finale touch up 3 days ago.
The hull was done according to the kit. I used twin 800 fan cooled motors with Fine Line 4mm shafts.
As most of you know I am known for my functions, so it had to have smoke. I did use the wood that came with the kit to make the exhaust stack. Just carved t split it hollowed to fit a 5/16 brass tube. The tube was cut and soldered at 30 deg. This will fit into a smoke unit mounted in the cabin.
The next will show the kort nozzels.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 08:53 PM
Just Limin'
United States, NJ, East Brunswick
Joined Nov 2008
1,355 Posts
Having seen this boat in person, all I can say is it's a top of the class build and will only get better as it becomes even more detailed.

Scott
laser110 is offline Find More Posts by laser110
Old Jun 17, 2014, 06:57 AM
GILL
Joined Aug 2005
2,548 Posts
NANCY M b

A few more pic's
The nozzles are made from 1in. x 1/16in brass. All bracing was done with 1/4 x 1/16. The bottom hing is held with 2 flat head screws. The center mounts are tubes that fit over the stern tubes. By removing the bottom hing then the 3 screws that mount to the hull. every thing can be removed for maintenance. The props are 55mm 5 blade turned down to 52mm, I try to make things removable this way details and maintenance can be done. Even the pilot hose roof and pilot house can be taken off.
I have already done the electrical systems. All lighting is LED.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 05:27 PM
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
1,089 Posts
Really great looking work .

Mark
the goon is online now Find More Posts by the goon
Old Jun 17, 2014, 09:51 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,159 Posts
Very nice.
I know a guy ..
Nooo..
That's me still trying to get back to building mine.
more coffee is offline Find More Posts by more coffee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hi!
Old Jun 18, 2014, 05:44 AM
GILL
Joined Aug 2005
2,548 Posts
NANCY M c

Thanks
Next was making and mounting the radio tray. I find this method best for maintenance. Tray slides in in rear and 2 screws hold the front. The mast was built wired and tested. The radar units are micro servos with the electronics removed. I did put a diode in 1 to slow it slightly. Hit these with 1.3 volts and you just approx. 30 RPM.
Since the mast on the full size folds, so does the models.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 07:21 AM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
3,936 Posts
Nice!
Jerome Morris is offline Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old Jun 18, 2014, 03:16 PM
GILL
Joined Aug 2005
2,548 Posts
NANCY M d

I made the railings from 1/16 brazing rod. Fitted the cabin and pilot house together with the mast. 2 screws attach the pilot house. Then 2 small screws fasten the rear of the pilot house roof with a hook on each side of the front of the roof. The mast is attached with 2 screws as there are 2 3 pin plugs inside the mast. There is an aluminum tube that run from just under the pilot house roof down in to the main cabin, the wires for the mast ant the pilot house lighting run through this.
Under the cabin the ribbon wire with a 9 pin "D" connector, runs to a terminal strip next to the strip is a veritable voltage regulator to control the speed of the radar. The "d" connector can be found in the middle of the radio tray. I use brass rod to run power around the inside of the cabin for the deck lights and interior lighting. You can also see the exhaust smoke unit at the rear of the cabin. This is a 12-18 volt train unit that has auto shut-off and a built in fan.
At the front of the cabin is the latch. 2 tabs hold the rear of the cabin deck and the front of the cabin is held by a movable latch. There is a 1/8in. rod in a tube under the foredeck. The bow winch is mounted on the end and it is spring loaded to the rear. The rod goes into a brass tube mounted under the front of the cabin. Move the winch forward and the cabin is relished. Makes for a very solid cabin mount, you can almost pick the model up with the cabin.
Last edited by GILL RC; Jun 18, 2014 at 03:27 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 04:38 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,503 Posts
This build is moving really, Really fast !
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 11:52 AM
GILL
Joined Aug 2005
2,548 Posts
NANCY M e

The whole build took 2 1/2 months. That was from when I received the Shelly Foss kit. The boat was test run the week end before last. I still have it as I wanted to do some touch ups and add more floatation. It will be delivered this Sunday at our club picnic. Most time was waiting for the fiber glass and paint to dry. She is ballasted with #9 bird shot and 1 qt of polyester resin. (1qt=1lb.) I use weights to check the ballast, then pour in the bird shot where needed subtracting 1 pound for the resin.
Runs very smooth and quiet. It has plenty of power. 1 - 12 volt gel cell powers the whole model.
My customer is going to add more detail, his own design sound and possibly a working main winch.
Last edited by GILL RC; Jun 19, 2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 12:37 PM
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
1,089 Posts
Very nice .

Mark
the goon is online now Find More Posts by the goon