HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 28, 2014, 09:30 PM
United States, AZ, Cave Creek
Joined Aug 2011
1,175 Posts
Discussion
Am I experienced enough for the new Sukhoi?

Well I have flown the Super Cub and then my current plane, the Apprentice. I am really good with the Apprentice and to be honest it is pretty boring for me to fly now.

I am thinking of preordering the new DX6 and then maybe the Sukhoi....should I go for it?
CC268 is online now Find More Posts by CC268
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2014, 03:43 AM
United States, IL, Glenwood
Joined Nov 2013
406 Posts
Go ahead and order one. But putt it aside for a bit, you are gunna want some sort of low wing tail drager that's easer to fly first before you move to the su29. I would recommend eather the parkzone p-47, or the grate planes super sporster ep (the white foam one ) if you go the p-47 route don't bother with retracts or flaps until you are really competent at landing it with the stock landing gear first.
Gregertman is online now Find More Posts by Gregertman
Last edited by Gregertman; May 29, 2014 at 08:56 AM.
Old May 29, 2014, 06:22 PM
United States, AZ, Cave Creek
Joined Aug 2011
1,175 Posts
Hmm I mean I don't have the cash to buy two planes. The other option is the Artizan, but I am trying to get the most plane for my money. Watching the videos I feel like I could fly it...really not into the warbirds. In my opinion there is no point in me making too small of steps because I just can't go out and buy a new plane every 2 months.

Any other opinions??
CC268 is online now Find More Posts by CC268
Old May 29, 2014, 07:52 PM
United States, WA, Moses Lake
Joined Feb 2012
416 Posts
I say go for it. No guts no glory. But its not in stock. You might think about swinging a trade for that apprentice I'm sure there are some people that have say extra 300 or something similar that you can get parts for if needed. Don't buy a plane you don't want what's the point?
Low and Slow is offline Find More Posts by Low and Slow
Old May 29, 2014, 11:04 PM
United States, NE, Kearney
Joined Dec 2011
2,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC268 View Post
Well I have flown the Super Cub and then my current plane, the Apprentice. I am really good with the Apprentice and to be honest it is pretty boring for me to fly now.

I am thinking of preordering the new DX6 and then maybe the Sukhoi....should I go for it?
What radio are you flying now?
Do you NEED the DX6, or want it?

On the Sukhoi... you can probably fly it if you are truly competent with the Super Cub and the Apprentice. The Sukhoi just does things quicker than you are familiar with. Keep the throws gentle, prop it with a flat pitch to keep speeds down.
Fly it really high, and eventually increase the sensitivity... but stay really high to give yourself room for mistakes.

The Sukhoi is potent; more capable than you are, currently.
The only way you can improve your skill-set is with a plane more capable than you are.

The question becomes, "How disciplined and wise are you as you step up from mild moving to wild?"
DustBen is offline Find More Posts by DustBen
Old May 29, 2014, 11:20 PM
An Ordinary User
United States, VA, Fluvanna
Joined Jan 2011
1,177 Posts
I'm enjoying my VisionAire and I'm considering the Sukhoi too. I have a Dynam SU-26 already but I really like the PZ planes that I have (there are some PZ planes I don't like, but I don't have them). Parkzone's latest planes - VisionAire, Artizan, Carbon-Z Yak, Carbon-Z Cub - are really good and the SU-29 looks like it might be better still.

I'd suggest a VisionAire or ArtiZan before getting the Sukhoi. I use the VisionAire to try things I'm afraid to do with my Dynam Pitts and SU-26.
GooberSB is offline Find More Posts by GooberSB
Old May 29, 2014, 11:42 PM
United States, IL, Glenwood
Joined Nov 2013
406 Posts
Yea I was thinking the artizan might be a better fit for you. After all none of us has flown the pz su sence it's not available yet. I would suggest you send chucktseaker a pm and see what he says. He is a really good guy and he won't stear you wrong. And he has both the su and artizan. Good luck.
Gregertman is online now Find More Posts by Gregertman
Old May 30, 2014, 09:25 AM
USA, MN, Shakopee
Joined Sep 2004
1,194 Posts
get the Sukhoi add a lot of expo and dual rates and you should be good to go and grow out of all the expo and dual rates.
scottc39 is offline Find More Posts by scottc39
Old May 30, 2014, 10:37 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
I can only say that flying a highly aerobatic mid wing plane like the Su-29 is going to be a lot more difficult than any high wing trainer. It will not be "stable" like you are used to. If I were you I would get a low wing aerobat before I flew the mid wings. Planes like the 40" Electrifly Super Sportster Foamie or even the T-28 Trojan (to a degree) would be a better next plane than the Su-28. But if you MUST have one of the two, I would opt for the Artizan. Take it one step at a time.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old May 30, 2014, 11:31 AM
Joined Feb 2012
416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
I can only say that flying a highly aerobatic mid wing plane like the Su-29 is going to be a lot more difficult than any high wing trainer. It will not be "stable" like you are used to. If I were you I would get a low wing aerobat before I flew the mid wings. Planes like the 40" Electrifly Super Sportster Foamie or even the T-28 Trojan (to a degree) would be a better next plane than the Su-28. But if you MUST have one of the two, I would opt for the Artizan. Take it one step at a time.
I can see your logic here but I kind of disagree. Here's why. I was told the same thing so I bought a super sportster. It's tame compared to the flying wing I built with a four dollar airframe made out of dollar tree foamboard. Now I'm bored with it. I wish I had bought a plane that pushed me harder even if I crashed it I could use the money to buy parts to fix it rather than lose the money on a plane I don't particularly care for. Maybe I can sell it at a loss, for sure I'm not going to make money on it.

By using your logic I can't have a corvette till I buy a step up car first from my ford pickup. Naw not me I want the vette. Kind of a moot argument I guess since nobody has the plane yet
Old May 30, 2014, 12:28 PM
United States, NE, Kearney
Joined Dec 2011
2,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low and Slow View Post
Maybe I can sell it at a loss, for sure I'm not going to make money on it.
That's some good comedy right there!

Let me know when you start making money selling used RC planes at a profit!
DustBen is offline Find More Posts by DustBen
Old May 30, 2014, 12:47 PM
An Ordinary User
Joined Jan 2011
1,177 Posts
Quote:
I can see your logic here but I kind of disagree. Here's why. I was told the same thing so I bought a super sportster. It's tame compared to the flying wing I built with a four dollar airframe made out of dollar tree foamboard. Now I'm bored with it. I wish I had bought a plane that pushed me harder even if I crashed it I could use the money to buy parts to fix it rather than lose the money on a plane I don't particularly care for. Maybe I can sell it at a loss, for sure I'm not going to make money on it.

By using your logic I can't have a corvette till I buy a step up car first from my ford pickup. Naw not me I want the vette. Kind of a moot argument I guess since nobody has the plane yet
Did you fly the Sportster for a while before building the wing? Just wondering about the timeline.

In my limited experience, buying a plane that doesn't fly like the Horizon or Tower videos depict is not much fun either. Interestingly, over time I realized that the difference between my planes and the ones in the videos was the pilot.

I think I had a subconcious expectation that having the model I wanted was the first step to learning how to fly it. Now I require myself to learn my way into the models I want before buying.

I don't have a corvette but I imagine having a corvette while learning to drive isn't as fun as having one and knowing how to drive it... Not saying it wouldn't be fun at all, just not as fun.
Old May 30, 2014, 03:03 PM
Joined Feb 2012
416 Posts
Actually I been building the wings for the last three years. I did it as a way to salvage the parts from my first "real plane" I wrecked. Then I played with the high wing trainer till I got so good with that was bored also. I guess my progression was sort of backwards to most, cause I like to build as much as flying. And when you got five bucks invested you can afford to be very brave. I learned a lot by myself. And I have twenty acres of the roughest nastiest plane eating industrial lot across the street I get lots of stick time. Weather permitting I fly every day something.

I guess the corvette comparison was out there a bit but driving is driving and flying is flying. But if you never try it you'll never fly it right? Get it up there high and take it easy at first and get the feel for it. Check the throws and cg and do what you can but the challenge is where the thrill is.

Don't get me wrong I like the sportster fine its a nifty little plane, but I kind of wish I would have bought this instead of that and then would have the money for parts for this instead of that know what I mean?
Old May 30, 2014, 04:58 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
Quote:

Sorry, but your "logical" conclusion is completely absurd. Comparing a low wing aerobatic trainer to a flying wing is ludicrous. The two fly absolutely nothing alike. Give me a break. You can push the EF SS as hard as you want; maybe you're afraid to push the envelope. It is a pretty aerobatic plane just like it is. Flown to her limit, the SS is hardly boring.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old May 30, 2014, 05:09 PM
An Ordinary User
Joined Jan 2011
1,177 Posts
Quote:
Actually I been building the wings for the last three years. I did it as a way to salvage the parts from my first "real plane" I wrecked. Then I played with the high wing trainer till I got so good with that was bored also. I guess my progression was sort of backwards to most, cause I like to build as much as flying. And when you got five bucks invested you can afford to be very brave. I learned a lot by myself. And I have twenty acres of the roughest nastiest plane eating industrial lot across the street I get lots of stick time. Weather permitting I fly every day something.

I guess the corvette comparison was out there a bit but driving is driving and flying is flying. But if you never try it you'll never fly it right? Get it up there high and take it easy at first and get the feel for it. Check the throws and cg and do what you can but the challenge is where the thrill is.

Don't get me wrong I like the sportster fine its a nifty little plane, but I kind of wish I would have bought this instead of that and then would have the money for parts for this instead of that know what I mean?

I know what you mean. I do that too. Then I work hard at saving money for the one I wish I had bought instead. The funny thing is, by the time I save up the money I don't really want it anymore. For example, I bought a Parkzone SE5a and really thought I wanted a Dynam TigerMoth. I saved some money and when I had enough to get it ... I bought the Peaks biplane instead. I bought a Dynam SU-26 and really wanted a Dynam Sbach since I like it. I was looking to get the Sbach and fortunately for me Nitroplanes wanted $40 for shipping. Well, I had a 15% off code from Horizon from the survey and I bought a VisionAire instead.

I just wanted to point out that you probably did learn something by flying that Sportster that you don't even attribute to it. You can't really know what life would be like had you bought something else instead. Don't lament what you didn't get - be proud of what you have and have a good time with it.