HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2013, 09:26 PM
Joined Oct 2006
82 Posts
I saw your video of the Micro on the kite site. It rolled and looped quite well but I could not find any video of knife edge maneuvers. Does it have enough side area to fly in knife edge?
williamdlloyd is offline Find More Posts by williamdlloyd
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2013, 05:16 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,803 Posts
Just enough... but it could do with more..thats why I have drawn up the PiYak for a CF build.. post 69
The bigger full circle wing will make for a longer Fuzz... more area.. more lift
Ive been flying a 15" EPP PiYak and this goes very well.. but its at least 1oz heavier than the microkite ....105gms PI to 85gms kite...so the kite actually gives a better performance over a wider speed range... I am being very fussy here as both are excellent...
I am trying to reduce the weight and wing loadings, so the next build is a PI using lighter rods..
I am confidant that it will go very well indeed...

These odd shapes do have a fair bit of rudder coupling in knife edge, so although they are capable, they are not so easy as the more standard model shapes.. personally I am just getting the hang of holding the knife edges on these odd shapes and deltas as well.. where the standard models are now fairly easy...

They do however fly extremely well and the CF build is a lot tougher than the light depron indoor aerobats.. Its also easier to get them light... and lighter flies so much nicer at these sizes...

Best power setup at these sizes is the Turnegy 1811 2900kv on 2s with a 6x3 prop... 170gms thrust... its now becoming my standard setup for tractor models indoors
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; Dec 02, 2013 at 05:29 AM.
Old Dec 04, 2013, 10:07 PM
Joined Oct 2006
82 Posts
The weights you are talking about can be a problem for indoor models using the heavy covering materials and large CF rods described above. Most of the light weight CF indoor models are using 1 MM CF mains with .5MM CF intermediates and are covered with 3 to 5 micron mylar. The weight of the covering and covering glue is only 2 to 4 grams. AUW with 2 cell 240/300 Mha batteries for 34" wingspans is between 78 and 100 grams. (See the Feather on the F3P site)

All of the F3P constructions may at first seem to look fairly delicate but the slow speeds and low mass means they often survive mishaps with little or no damage.

My 34" WS indoor Feather model weighs 100 grams AUW with a 2 cell 300 Mha Turnigy battery. That puts it at approximately 48 grams per square foot.

Of course, these do not fly well outdoors if there is any wind whatsoever.
williamdlloyd is offline Find More Posts by williamdlloyd
Old Dec 19, 2013, 06:43 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,803 Posts
Yes the ultra light F3P models are built with even lighter rods than Ive used and they are superb creations.. and very impressive in flight, for competition use , superb, but not such an easy build...

On my kites Ive gone a touch heavier to make them a bit more robust... and it works.. they are very simple construction, IFO style, so they are easy quick builds that will take collisions from other models without serious damages.. the worst ive had are some slits in the cheapo bag covering.. and thats taking hits from heavier 3D models
pretty obviously they are not F3P models , just fun fliers.. but because they are so light they do perform extremely well, they perform better than similar sized EPP models... they are good throw about aerobat models for indoor group flying sessions

My similarly powered same sized EPP models are all good fliers, but they are all heavier than these kite types plus an oz or so.. this makes for shorter flights and a bit less sparkle in their performance
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; Dec 19, 2013 at 06:58 AM.