HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:57 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,539 Posts
Lets see what the weather forecast does......
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:32 AM
Joined Oct 2012
2 Posts
Replacements :(

Hi All,

Just signed up and first post on this forum, but have been following this thread for a few weeks. A couple of weeks ago I received my Monocoupe.. Love(d) it. Unfortunately, yesterday, a moment of stupidity caused some severe damage.. (I looked down for a few seconds at my transmitter to move a few trim settings back to neutral). I know, I know.. stupid to look away for any reason.. even worse to change trim surfaces while doing it. I've learnt my lesson.. The first thing I heard was my mate scream..then a thud, and a split second later I look up and see no model in the sky. Apparently my Little Butch had gone from level flight at 100ft to vertical flight in those seconds.. resulting in fuselage and firewall damage, missing battery hatch, motor dead (bearings & bent), speed controller gone, split wing, motor mount broken, some of which can be repaired, other parts need replacement.

Anyway my main reason for posting is that I'm after these replacements , some of which were thrown (long grass) from the wreckage.

I couldn't find the same motor on HobbyKing so have thought of replacing it with the Turnigy G15 brushless outrunner and a Plush 40 esc, and prop adapter. Would this be an ok match?

Secondly, I can't find other replacement parts either, such as the battery hatch, which is either under ground or thrown into the long grass!! Are the hatches available as a replacement?

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.

DNB
DebriNbits is offline Find More Posts by DebriNbits
Last edited by DebriNbits; Oct 10, 2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:58 AM
United Kingdom, England, Leighton Buzzard
Joined Apr 2012
293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebriNbits View Post
Hi All,

Just signed up and first post on this forum, but have been following this thread for a few weeks. A couple of weeks ago I received my Monocoupe.. Love(d) it. Unfortunately, yesterday, a moment of stupidity caused some severe damage.. (I looked down for a few seconds at my transmitter to move a few trim settings back to neutral). I know, I know.. stupid to look away for any reason.. even worse to change trim surfaces while doing it. I've learnt my lesson.. The first thing I heard was my mate scream..then a thud, and a split second later I look up and see no model in the sky. Apparently my Little Butch had gone from level flight at 100ft to vertical flight in those seconds.. resulting in fuselage and firewall damage, missing battery hatch, motor dead (bearings & bent), speed controller gone, split wing, motor mount broken, some of which can be repaired, other parts need replacement.hI in.

Anyway my main reason for posting is that I'm after these replacements , some of which were thrown (long grass) from the wreckage.

I couldn't find the same motor on HobbyKing so have thought of replacing it with the Turnigy G15 brushless outrunner and a Plush 40 esc, and prop adapter. Would this be an ok match?

Secondly, I can't find other replacement parts either, such as the battery hatch, which is either under ground or thrown into the long grass!! Are the hatches available as a replacement?

DNB
Sorry to hear about your butch, what a shame.I'm guessing here but google the 900kv outrunner for the 1100mm fms hellcat, that may well be the same motor.as for the battery hatch maybe it comes with the fuse??.only thing is once you order all the parts you need i bet with postage it's not going to be far off the cost of a new butch.
Mark
Markbinim is offline Find More Posts by Markbinim
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:27 AM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined May 2001
5,661 Posts
here is a link to all the parts for the Monocoupe. The battery hatch is included with the fuselage.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idCategory=705

S.
stuart warne is online now Find More Posts by stuart warne
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: JR P-38 take 2.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:37 AM
Geez That's A Big Fly
Australia, WA, Parkerville
Joined Sep 2011
1,355 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your "LB"
Yep Mark is right the motor is the same as the FMS 1100mm Hellcat, if it was me I would buy a new one and keep the old one for spare bits.... just a thought.

Shaun.
Banjofrog is offline Find More Posts by Banjofrog
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:58 AM
Parkfly Padawan
United States, PA, Waynesburg
Joined Aug 2011
921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markbinim View Post
Sorry to hear about your butch, what a shame.I'm guessing here but google the 900kv outrunner for the 1100mm fms hellcat, that may well be the same motor.as for the battery hatch maybe it comes with the fuse??.only thing is once you order all the parts you need i bet with postage it's not going to be far off the cost of a new butch.
Mark
I would tend to agree with this statement. You may just be better off ordering a new plane and using your current one for whatever parts you can salvage off of it....?
JForbes is offline Find More Posts by JForbes
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:22 PM
Australia, QLD, Oxenford
Joined Oct 2010
1,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebriNbits View Post
Hi All,

Just signed up and first post on this forum, but have been following this thread for a few weeks. A couple of weeks ago I received my Monocoupe.. Love(d) it. Unfortunately, yesterday, a moment of stupidity caused some severe damage.. (I looked down for a few seconds at my transmitter to move a few trim settings back to neutral). I know, I know.. stupid to look away for any reason.. even worse to change trim surfaces while doing it. I've learnt my lesson.. The first thing I heard was my mate scream..then a thud, and a split second later I look up and see no model in the sky. Apparently my Little Butch had gone from level flight at 100ft to vertical flight in those seconds.. resulting in fuselage and firewall damage, missing battery hatch, motor dead (bearings & bent), speed controller gone, split wing, motor mount broken, some of which can be repaired, other parts need replacement.

DNB
Here is a link to the FMS F6F motor!!
http://rc-castle.com/shop/product_in...oducts_id=1356
Good luck

LURCH
taz101 is online now Find More Posts by taz101
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:34 PM
Joined Oct 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markbinim View Post
Mark
Thanks Markbinim, that certainly is the one. That will come in handy... I couldn't find that, even after a day of searching! You are correct, by the time I get the fuse, motor, esc, I might as well get the wing which is also damaged... It's going to end up costing nearly as much, so will probably go with the idea of ordering a newy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart warne View Post
here is a link to all the parts for the Monocoupe. The battery hatch is included with the fuselage.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idCategory=705

S.
I thought that may be the case Stuart, I was hoping on repairing the fuselage, and didn't want to buy a new one, but I think the below responses are probably the best idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjofrog View Post
I am sorry to hear about your "LB"
Yep Mark is right the motor is the same as the FMS 1100mm Hellcat, if it was me I would buy a new one and keep the old one for spare bits.... just a thought.

Shaun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JForbes View Post
I would tend to agree with this statement. You may just be better off ordering a new plane and using your current one for whatever parts you can salvage off of it....?
Thanks for the idea Banjofrog and JForbes. I had been considering this, but hadn't put much thought into it. I'll buy a new one instead, keep the servos, tail and anything I can strip off of it.. I'm sure it will all come in very handy, and I'll then have a spare of everything except those few broken bits, for nearly the same price.

Thanks again
DebriNbits is offline Find More Posts by DebriNbits
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:34 AM
Parkfly Padawan
Joined Aug 2011
921 Posts
My wife just sent me a message and told me that a box from HobbyKing just arrived at my house.... that's my Little Butch!!! I'm so excited to get home and check it out! I ordered some new 3s 20c 2200mah lipos yesterday that should be arriving this week as well. There could be a "Monocoupe Maiden" this weekend!

Any suggestions or things to look out for with the build or bad flight tendancies?
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:59 PM
Joined Apr 2012
293 Posts
Quote:
My wife just sent me a message and told me that a box from HobbyKing just arrived at my house.... that's my Little Butch!!! I'm so excited to get home and check it out! I ordered some new 3s 20c 2200mah lipos yesterday that should be arriving this week as well. There could be a "Monocoupe Maiden" this weekend!

Any suggestions or things to look out for with the build or bad flight tendancies?
Happy days
im still loving mine.i would say take extra care if your flying in wind as it can catch the wing and throw old butch of course a bit,also on take off especially,if its windy make sure you keep him pointing right into the wind until hes up with a bit of airspeed as again the wind will catch the wing and push him around a fair bit.Apart from that nothing bad ive found so far.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:38 AM
Parkfly Padawan
Joined Aug 2011
921 Posts
Well, It was home when I got there last night. Opened it up and it was in perfect shape. The little bit of build there was to complete was a breeze. I did use welders adhesive as opposed to the mystery white tube that came with it. I always just worry about that... not knowing the age of it... I dunno... Anywho, it looks great, and as soon as my lipos get here, I'll be able to finish off the linkages. i don't see the point of hooking them up before I can center my servo's... just to have to remove them and adjust. Lessons learned I guess..

One question I do have. Mine came with little springs and "nylon wire" that I'm supposed to tie off on the horizontal stab and then to the vertical stab and lower fuse. I cannot get any kind of knot to hold with that stuff. they all just pull right out. What did you guys do? I'm thinking I may try again with a dab of adhesive or CA (will ca melt that stuff or discolor it?) I'm interested to see if anyone else had this issue.

Otherwise, it feels like a well built model and it looks great!
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:55 AM
Joined Apr 2012
293 Posts
Quote:
Well, It was home when I got there last night. Opened it up and it was in perfect shape. The little bit of build there was to complete was a breeze. I did use welders adhesive as opposed to the mystery white tube that came with it. I always just worry about that... not knowing the age of it... I dunno... Anywho, it looks great, and as soon as my lipos get here, I'll be able to finish off the linkages. i don't see the point of hooking them up before I can center my servo's... just to have to remove them and adjust. Lessons learned I guess..

One question I do have. Mine came with little springs and "nylon wire" that I'm supposed to tie off on the horizontal stab and then to the vertical stab and lower fuse. I cannot get any kind of knot to hold with that stuff. they all just pull right out. What did you guys do? I'm thinking I may try again with a dab of adhesive or CA (will ca melt that stuff or discolor it?) I'm interested to see if anyone else had this issue.

Otherwise, it feels like a well built model and it looks great!
mine was the same,there is no way it will hold a knot without glue or a crimp of some sort.i ended up using some thin black elastic.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:00 AM
Geez That's A Big Fly
Australia, WA, Parkerville
Joined Sep 2011
1,355 Posts
Good luck with your maiden, for the tail guide wires I used 1mm wire trace crimps from a tackle store, if you look back I did post a photo. As with the wind LB can be tossed a bit but I have took off with a 10 knot tail wind a number of times but I don't make it a habit.

Shaun,
Banjofrog is offline Find More Posts by Banjofrog
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:01 AM
Parkfly Padawan
Joined Aug 2011
921 Posts
Gotcha... good idea. I thought about maybe just gluing some very small carbon rods in there, thinking that would look the part. I think it's more for looks than anything else...
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:04 AM
Parkfly Padawan
Joined Aug 2011
921 Posts
Banjo, I see the pic. Thank you. I may look into that as well. Looks like a very "clean" way to finish it up. Thank you.