HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:08 PM
Joined Dec 2011
296 Posts
Stacky: I have burned 4 lipos already this morning at 15 drgees F. outside and have learned a great deal. It seems that it is my Photohigher AV200 gimbal and the way in which it is mounted that is causing many of the problems I have been experiencing. I clamped off the gimbal from side to side, flew it, looked at the video and noticed right away that I no longer had those "roll twitches" (90% of it was gone). Then I did the same thing with the gimbal from front to back (which is where it is the sloppiest) and it solved the majority of those twitches too. The AV200 is really pretty flimsy when you compare it to something like a Cinestar gimbal which is so rigid in so many ways. While I can improve upon this somewhat I am still stuck with the AV200 for the time being so there is only so much I can do with what I have to work with. I see a better gimbal on my wish list for the near future.

Thanks so much for you suggestions. They were a good motivator for me to re-examine an area that I thought had already been answered, but I was wrong. Also: I found that when I dialed back my WKM gains by 20 points this also helped a great deal.
rancherpete is offline Find More Posts by rancherpete
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:15 PM
Joined Dec 2011
296 Posts
AV200 with HFG - Much better results now...

Edit
Last edited by rancherpete; Jan 05, 2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:28 PM
Canada, QC, Laval
Joined Apr 2008
1,149 Posts
Excellent work. Can you show us what kind of damper you put on? I have the AV200 also and is very sloppy.

Thanks
bcollydas is offline Find More Posts by bcollydas
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:38 PM
Joined Dec 2011
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcollydas View Post
Excellent work. Can you show us what kind of damper you put on? I have the AV200 also and is very sloppy.

Thanks
I wish that I could tell you exactly what I put on here but it was a cheap little rotary damper that came with a very inexpensive gimbal from China. The part was n my junk box. If you search for "rotary damper" (which I have done) and get any cheap little damper they will cost only a few bucks and do not need a great deal of resistance in order to provide good results. The trick is how to attach it to the pivot point of the gimbal. I made a little aluminum bracket to hold the damper in place and then had to find a way to make the movement of the camera tray stay locked to the shaft of the gimbal. Its a little tricky and there is not only one way of doing it but if you do it and make a solid connection between the camera tray and the rotary damper it will solve a lot of problems. I was absolutely blown away by the improvement I saw. Perhaps that's why the video itself was named YIPPY!
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:12 PM
Canada, QC, Laval
Joined Apr 2008
1,149 Posts
hfg setup HELP

I am trying to setup my HFG for almost three days now with no luck.
I did everything according to the manual.
The problem I have is in the servo configuration tab under the yaw servo the tab is greyed out.
I can't adjust any settings. I can enable the servo and it runs continously.
The tilt and roll tabs ar fine I can adjust the settings.

Can anyone help.
I use the JR X9393 with the AR7000Rx.
here are a couple of pics.

Thanks
Bill
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:13 PM
3D Heli and Planes
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Nov 2009
276 Posts
Quote:
The problem I have is in the servo configuration tab under the yaw servo the tab is greyed out.

Can anyone help.

Thanks
Bill
I think Auto Compensation needs to be enabled.
jbdww is offline Find More Posts by jbdww
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:12 PM
Canada, QC, Laval
Joined Apr 2008
1,149 Posts
Is enabled now.
When I put the switch in pos "0" no shaking, it compesates butI can't use the sticks.
Pos, 2 and 3 the pan axis is shaking badly back and forth and I can use the sticks but that doesnt stop the shaking.
The center point on the servo tab is set at 1.5ms.
What else can I adjust?
Only problem I have is with the Yaw (pan) channel

Thanks
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:13 PM
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Dec 2011
326 Posts
Power

Hey guys,

I'm using a spectrum ar8000 for my flight control rx. It has an open channel that I have connected to the HFG pitch channel. My ar8000 gets power from my flight pack. When I plug in my flight pack, my HFG gets power and so does my gimbal.

I have my 6v ubec and 3slipo alll ready to go. I'm not sure if I need to connect it now. My servos do run best on 6volts. Will my 6volts overide the volts coming from the ar8000 rx?? Should I plug it in also?

Thanks
matthewlavin is offline Find More Posts by matthewlavin
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:26 PM
United States, TX, Thrall
Joined Feb 2010
1,188 Posts
You should ony have one source of power coming in to the gimbal cotroller not two. If you are using a single receiver you only need to run a single wire for signal to the receiver using a common ground. If you use a seperate battery you will need to run ground as well just not hot lead.

Michael64

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewlavin View Post
Hey guys,

I'm using a spectrum ar8000 for my flight control rx. It has an open channel that I have connected to the HFG pitch channel. My ar8000 gets power from my flight pack. When I plug in my flight pack, my HFG gets power and so does my gimbal.

I have my 6v ubec and 3slipo alll ready to go. I'm not sure if I need to connect it now. My servos do run best on 6volts. Will my 6volts overide the volts coming from the ar8000 rx?? Should I plug it in also?

Thanks
Michael64 is offline Find More Posts by Michael64
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:22 PM
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Dec 2011
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael64 View Post
You should ony have one source of power coming in to the gimbal cotroller not two. If you are using a single receiver you only need to run a single wire for signal to the receiver using a common ground. If you use a seperate battery you will need to run ground as well just not hot lead.

Michael64
Yes I'm only using one receiver.
So pull the red wire connecting the receiver to the HFG?
matthewlavin is offline Find More Posts by matthewlavin
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:16 PM
USA, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Apr 2006
3,066 Posts
You need to adjust the center point of your yaw servo to get it to stop spinning.

Quote:

Can anyone help.

Thanks
Bill
S11D336B is offline Find More Posts by S11D336B
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:57 PM
Canada, QC, Laval
Joined Apr 2008
1,149 Posts
Thank you 11S
I did that, now when I pan the gimbal stops in one spot and goes back and forth.
Now what?
Tha other thing is that on Pos"1" the tilt travels 90 degrees but on pos "2" it only travels 45 degrees.

Bill
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:04 PM
USA, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Apr 2006
3,066 Posts
You need to adjust the range of the tilt for angle and offset speed. You can find this under Configuration & Calibration -> Receiver configuration.

Quote:
Thank you 11S
I did that, now when I pan the gimbal stops in one spot and goes back and forth.
Now what?
Tha other thing is that on Pos"1" the tilt travels 90 degrees but on pos "2" it only travels 45 degrees.

Bill
S11D336B is offline Find More Posts by S11D336B
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:03 PM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
817 Posts
With the below fireware update, What is the output rate for servos before the v1.9 firmware update?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HoverflyGIMBAL firmware version 1.9

Ben Halsted
posted this on Jan 22 03:15 pm
There are two changes in this firmware.

1) You can now select the output rate for the servos (200hz, 100hz, or 50hz). Analog servos should use 50Hz. The majority of digital servos will use 200Hz, but a few on the market may use 100Hz.

2) There is a feature to limit the roll servo when the tilt angle exceeds a certain amount. This is useful for some of the more exotic continuous rotation gimbal designs in which the roll axis comes after the pitch axis in priority.
gww528 is offline Find More Posts by gww528
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:02 PM
3D Heli and Planes
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Nov 2009
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gww528 View Post
With the below fireware update, What is the output rate for servos before the v1.9 firmware update?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HoverflyGIMBAL firmware version 1.9

Ben Halsted
posted this on Jan 22 03:15 pm
There are two changes in this firmware.

1) You can now select the output rate for the servos (200hz, 100hz, or 50hz). Analog servos should use 50Hz. The majority of digital servos will use 200Hz, but a few on the market may use 100Hz.

2) There is a feature to limit the roll servo when the tilt angle exceeds a certain amount. This is useful for some of the more exotic continuous rotation gimbal designs in which the roll axis comes after the pitch axis in priority.
So where do you set the output rate? I do not see this option.
jbdww is offline Find More Posts by jbdww