HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2012, 09:05 PM
Joined Mar 2012
10 Posts
Discussion
VQ Hurricane 60 size

Hi there,
I am new to the forum and this is my first post.

I was wondering if you would share some advise with me.
I was building my VQ Hurricane 60, with a sudden burst of enthusiasm and mounted the engine ( a DLE 20 cc) on it's side. I used the template and then lost it when my step son moved out and i moved my old plane room, took his old room (with the Air Conditioner)
I asked a more experienced Modeller at the club i fly at for help, and he suggested I change the position from the side to upside down to fit the engine in in the cowl and minimise any cutting/defacing of the Cowl. So I am unable continue at the moment.

Does any one by chance have this template that they could photocopy and email to me.
any idea' on how to make the canopy slide open and shut. ( Without me stuffing it up?)
You have probably guessed I am not long in the hobby but enjoy it immensly. Contact me

grumpypa17@gmail.com

My thanks in advance
John
Grumpypa is offline Find More Posts by Grumpypa
Last edited by Grumpypa; Mar 22, 2012 at 09:21 PM. Reason: add info
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:34 PM
TigreJohn
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Aug 2008
983 Posts
Are you looking for the DLE 20 mounting template or the ARF's firewall template?
jjkupinski is offline Find More Posts by jjkupinski
Old Mar 23, 2012, 05:36 AM
Joined Mar 2012
10 Posts
VQ Hurri 60

Hi

I am after the Arf fire wall template.

I have the template for the engine...
(Oh, Hello the light went on)
Could I use the engine template instead of the Arf?
(Shaking my head at my inexperiance or lack of lateral thinking)

john
Old Mar 23, 2012, 01:20 PM
TigreJohn
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Aug 2008
983 Posts
You can use the engine template. Just make sure the centerline of the engine ends up centered on the hole in the firewall. Otherwise the cowl won't line up.
jjkupinski is offline Find More Posts by jjkupinski
Old Mar 23, 2012, 10:03 PM
Joined Mar 2012
10 Posts
VQ Hurricane 60

Thanks JJ.
i will do as you recommend....
Old Mar 26, 2012, 03:21 AM
Too windy to fly? Lets surf
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2008
503 Posts
GrumpyPa

Before you continue, are you sure about a DLE-20 on the VQ Hurri? That's a lot of power and a lot of weight! It will be a handful, whereas a Saito 82 at almost half the weight will fly it very respectably AND it will be easy to handle

Just my .02
w1nd6urfa is online now Find More Posts by w1nd6urfa
Old Mar 27, 2012, 08:40 AM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,204 Posts
Hi GrumpyPa,

Welcome to the forums !!

You can find VQ Hurricane DLE-20 info here.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10377683

Another club member and I are doing the same conversion. He is about 80% done and I have another project to finish first.

Good luck with your project and be sure to post lost of pics !!

Joe
Joespeeder is online now Find More Posts by Joespeeder
Old Mar 31, 2012, 06:07 AM
Joined Mar 2012
10 Posts
VQ Hurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1nd6urfa View Post
GrumpyPa

Before you continue, are you sure about a DLE-20 on the VQ Hurri? That's a lot of power and a lot of weight! It will be a handful, whereas a Saito 82 at almost half the weight will fly it very respectably AND it will be easy to handle

Just my .02
Thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate the feed back,
Yes it is over kill, but I have asked a more experienced pilot @ our Air club,
and he thinks i only ever need half throttle, when done. On the weight side, he seems inclined think that the weight may well not be as bad has first thought.
Time will tell and I'll keep you informed.
Thanks again
Old Mar 31, 2012, 05:21 PM
Joined Mar 2012
10 Posts
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joespeeder View Post
Hi GrumpyPa,

Welcome to the forums !!

You can find VQ Hurricane DLE-20 info here.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10377683

Another club member and I are doing the same conversion. He is about 80% done and I have another project to finish first.

Good luck with your project and be sure to post lost of pics !!

Joe

Thanks Joe,
had a sqizz- (look) at the link you posted. Many thanks mate.
I will post some pics as you asked.
First off i am very inexperienced ,so my build might not be a good as others.
Having trouble with the flaps as well as the engine, but slowly winning.
Retracts are Eflite electric Retracts
needed some cutting out of the wheel well.
As you mention in another thread gas is cheaper than glow... Thats why I went with the DLE 20.. Although at $ 1.50 to $ 1.70 a litre its not quite as cheap as I
thought... That roughly $6.00 a gallon US
Grumpypa
Old Apr 01, 2012, 11:14 PM
Too windy to fly? Lets surf
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2008
503 Posts
Looking good
w1nd6urfa is online now Find More Posts by w1nd6urfa
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:57 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,204 Posts
Hey Guys,

I know this is an old thread but I'm in the middle of doing this conversion. I've been flying the Hurri on an Eflite 60 6s set up for several years and really enjoy the plane. However, I can't loiter like I want to with the other warbird guys flying gas or glow.

Since I'm tired of being the first one down I decided to go with a DLE-20 and a 10oz tank... That ought to give me time to fly!!

I've read and re-read the other thread on this conversion over at RCU so many times it's not funny. Plus another guy in our club has a Hurri flying on the DLE-20. So I have lots of inspiration.

Thanks to a new muffler that Jtec has come out with it looks like I'm going to be able to stuff a pitts style muffler in the nose of the Hurri. I had contacted them about building me a compact pitts muffler about a year ago. I had other projects to complete and in the mean time they came out with one that is more compact than their Standard Wrap Around Pitts. THe other change I'm making is the use of 10oz tank. I found a Dubro 10oz Slant Nose tank fits and takes up less room than the 8oz tank since it's shorter. I'm not done with the throttle pushrod yet but I'm determined to make this work.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBFYV&P=1

Some of you may be able to use that muffler for other tight quarter installations!

On the DLE-20 thread there are good reports of the MAS 16x8X3 prop works good. However, you need to get an old one.... MAS changed the design to beef up the hub for gas engines. The new 16x8x3 don't unload as much and are not as good a match for the engine. I bought two old style props from a club member that had a twin he rekitted and these were extra props.

I will keep you posted as I progress. This is an old model now and very hard to find. But someone out there may be able to use some bit of my build.

Here's my pics.

Joe
Joespeeder is online now Find More Posts by Joespeeder
Last edited by Joespeeder; Dec 10, 2012 at 04:07 PM.