United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2011
366 Posts
Mini-HowTo
BajiWing: Flying Wing using "Armin Wing" technique

*** june 25 2012 EDIT ***
*** Seeing how bajiWing unexpectedly got 10k views and 11 pages, ***
*** I decided to add links to notable ideas at the end of this post ***

First of all, huge thanks to Ed and Nick (ExperimentalAirlines and schraut5 on youtube ) for their ideas and designs and most importantly inspiration. And to everyone on rcgroups for sharing info/ideas and insight.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ExperimentalAirlines
http://www.youtube.com/user/schraut5
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1587275

Maiden video. I suggest watching in HD on vimeo page.

BajiWing , scratch built flying wing - maiden flight and random fun (3 min 20 sec)

And here is a short video showing some details, hopefully my accent won't make it too difficult to understand, feel free to ask any questions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=booKH6zTQ-E]

Hopefully someone will find this helpful

Alternative wing template by Rob Mackenzie, thanks!

MiniBaji 34" version

flew well but I drowned it after 20 min
Ride to CT, drowned MiniBaji 34" wing and other nonsense. April 7th (2 min 17 sec)

Same concept, with some tweaks.
Pics and details here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=67
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=73

BajiJet 34" version

Another variation using similar techniques. Check page 6 for details

http://youtu.be/WHERriGOKFE?hd=1

*** Useful links as of june 25 2012 ***

Some concepts for a wing with fuselage

Wing with a wide central sectionfully equipped for FPV

Wing with extended and reinforced fuselage, very hard to destroy. Trust me I tried my best

Nicely done 40" wing template and build videos 1, 2, 55" version and a great build video!

Lighter version of 30" wing without pink foam and undercamber airfoil "1","2" and a foam formed battery cavity HERE

A way to mount a servo with possibility of replacement/removal

Very simple and very light landing gear idea

A very light KFm2 version of 30" wing created for night flying.
templton89 is offline Find More Posts by templton89
Last edited by templton89; Jun 25, 2012 at 11:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2012, 05:13 PM
Joined Nov 2011
366 Posts
Last edited by templton89; Mar 10, 2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 06:43 PM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,426 Posts
very cool! looking forward to build details
rcrich is offline Find More Posts by rcrich
Old Mar 10, 2012, 06:43 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,808 Posts
Armin Style Wing Design, more or less

I am thinking the idea of using 3/4" insulation foam board is a good one, but I am curious why the carbon fiber parts weren't put against, or in the pink foam spars? Maybe it was easier to just put them across the wing. I have been kicking around the idea of making a 60" wing, or a bit longer with parts from Pan fish fishing poles (Walmart) that are a carbon fiber product. The poles come in 8', 10', and 12' lengths, if all the sections are telescoped out. Each section is tapered to jam into the smaller end of the larger piece, so if you buy two poles priced from $8 to $12, you have a pair of matching spar sections. The carbon fiber tubes are very strong, and likely stronger than I will need using the lightweight skin and foam ribs/spars. For a longer than 60" wing, I will have to use the Blu-core fan fold foam (1/4" thick). First I will have to make sure the long wing will fit in my small truck, or come up with a simple assembly method once I get to the field.

I have noticed a number of assembly methods, mostly tube in a tube, for the larger RC flyers. As long as a center section is used to mount both halves of the wing to, it seems like a straight forward process. One of the interesting concepts is if you can build a flying wing, you can use the same process to add a fuselage and other parts for just about any aircraft type one can imagine. Cold rolling thin foam is such a simple process, it makes sense to build large, lightweight flyers using thin foam. I am very impressed with the larger C-10 and P-40 projects and how they can float about using very little runway for take off and landings. What folks are able to do using thin foam instead of card stock from enlarged scale paper airplane plans is very impressive to say the least.
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah
Old Mar 10, 2012, 07:25 PM
Joined Nov 2011
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrich View Post
very cool! looking forward to build details
Well they aren't exactly build details or a build along, because Ed already outlined wing folding techniques in his videos, I will simply show close up shots and talk about some nuances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsavah View Post
I am thinking the idea of using 3/4" insulation foam board is a good one, but I am curious why the carbon fiber parts weren't put against, or in the pink foam spars? Maybe it was easier to just put them across the wing. I have been kicking around the idea of making a 60" wing, or a bit longer with parts from Pan fish fishing poles (Walmart) that are a carbon fiber product. The poles come in 8', 10', and 12' lengths, if all the sections are telescoped out. Each section is tapered to jam into the smaller end of the larger piece, so if you buy two poles priced from $8 to $12, you have a pair of matching spar sections. The carbon fiber tubes are very strong, and likely stronger than I will need using the lightweight skin and foam ribs/spars. For a longer than 60" wing, I will have to use the Blu-core fan fold foam (1/4" thick). First I will have to make sure the long wing will fit in my small truck, or come up with a simple assembly method once I get to the field.

I have noticed a number of assembly methods, mostly tube in a tube, for the larger RC flyers. As long as a center section is used to mount both halves of the wing to, it seems like a straight forward process. One of the interesting concepts is if you can build a flying wing, you can use the same process to add a fuselage and other parts for just about any aircraft type one can imagine. Cold rolling thin foam is such a simple process, it makes sense to build large, lightweight flyers using thin foam. I am very impressed with the larger C-10 and P-40 projects and how they can float about using very little runway for take off and landings. What folks are able to do using thin foam instead of card stock from enlarged scale paper airplane plans is very impressive to say the least.
Well, 3/4" Insulation foam board + rigid edge from folding tape covered foam + carbon rods (they are actually carbon tubes) + thin carbon rods hidden under black tape on leading edge = enough stability and durability For the most part I placed carbon rods across the wing is because I'm reinforcing the wing and the central part at the same time. Fishing poles sound like a good idea for a 60" wing.

I have some carbon arrows for larger builds, or for builds that will come apart for transportation

And yes, you are absolutely right, as long as center section is separate from both halves you can make a folding wing, or use it on any other plane or build almost in any configuration. As a matter of fact I'm experimenting with modular design right now .I had a separate thread where I made my first experimental build, but it was kind of ugly and awkward looking, but I did learn a lot from it, and will be creating a modular flying wing in the nearest future. Imagine Flying Wing with detachable fuselage, easily adjustable CoG, easier launch and maybe even a wheel down the middle for landing
Old Mar 10, 2012, 08:08 PM
Ichy to Build and Fly.
United States, FL, Davie
Joined Feb 2011
143 Posts
Hi templton and Ed

I would like to blame you now for increasing my work load
Lol

This is amazing and now I am itching to make this wing and fly it

Thank you so much gentlemen for opening new avenues of Rc design and development

Best wishes
Mosaic - Florida
rnmosaic is offline Find More Posts by rnmosaic
Last edited by rnmosaic; Mar 12, 2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 03:45 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,404 Posts
Good job
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:37 AM
Ed @ Experimental Airlines
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Sep 2011
456 Posts
This is AWESOME! Just what we needed for swept tapered wings for all needs, but it turns out especially nice for the straight-up flying wing here.

On the template overlay view, could you possibly scale up the wing until the angles all intersect foamboard edges, and then advise the measurements from the corners of the foamboard to the necessary fold lines and cutlines? I'm just thinking some cavemen like me might be able to more easily trace the outline without an actual template or protractor.

Thanks bro, nice job!

Ed
ExperimentalAir is offline Find More Posts by ExperimentalAir
Old Mar 11, 2012, 08:10 AM
Joined Nov 2011
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExperimentalAir View Post
This is AWESOME! Just what we needed for swept tapered wings for all needs, but it turns out especially nice for the straight-up flying wing here.

On the template overlay view, could you possibly scale up the wing until the angles all intersect foamboard edges, and then advise the measurements from the corners of the foamboard to the necessary fold lines and cutlines? I'm just thinking some cavemen like me might be able to more easily trace the outline without an actual template or protractor.

Thanks bro, nice job!

Ed
I thought of that, I'll upload a new version as soon I'm done with it.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 12:16 PM
Joined Nov 2011
366 Posts
Took it out for a spin this morning, can't get enough of this plane. Windy as hell, but that didn't stop me from taping my old goPro to it
With gopro adding weight to the bottom of the plane and with winds ~20-30mph at high altitudes it was gliding forever.

Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:23 PM
Canada, AB, Olds
Joined Apr 2011
94 Posts
ExAIR asked "On the template overlay view, could you possibly scale up the wing until the angles all intersect foamboard edges, and then advise the measurements from the corners of the foamboard to the necessary fold lines and cutlines? I'm just thinking some cavemen like me might be able to more easily trace the outline without an actual template or protractor. "

This isn't exactly what he had in mind but it is as close as dammit is to swearing... and it does (almost) fit in this orientation on a 20x30 foamboard sheet.

Click to enlarge thumbnail:
Rob Mackenzie is offline Find More Posts by Rob Mackenzie
Last edited by Rob Mackenzie; Mar 19, 2012 at 08:28 PM. Reason: better fit
Old Mar 12, 2012, 02:49 PM
Joined Nov 2011
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Mackenzie View Post
ExAIR asked "On the template overlay view, could you possibly scale up the wing until the angles all intersect foamboard edges, and then advise the measurements from the corners of the foamboard to the necessary fold lines and cutlines? I'm just thinking some cavemen like me might be able to more easily trace the outline without an actual template or protractor. "

This isn't exactly what he had in mind but it is as close as dammit is to swearing... and it does (almost) fit in this orientation on a 20x30 foamboard sheet.

Click to enlarge thumbnail:
That's awesome. Thanks for making it. One thing to note is that root cord on upper half should be a little longer than 12", 12 and 1/8 to be exact. In most cases that won't affect the overall construction of the wing, but in case someone wants it to be a perfect fit, they need to compensate the length of curved surface.
When I get back from work today, I will post another version of my template, that requires simple measurements instead of protractors. It will give builders another option, since I aligned it differently.
By the way if you'd like I can attach your template to the first post and give you credit for it.

Also I am happy to report that this wing survived ~ 20 flights at this point, and 20 landings on different surfaces, some of which were far from smooth.

Also I crashed it twice because I don't like to sit home on windy days. Once during launch against concrete runway and once in a dive on a football field.
The first time servo popped off - new piece of double sided tape fixed the problem. Second time motor+gift card ripped out.
Both times I was able to get back to flying within 5 minutes.

by my Calculations Average speed is ~ 65mph

I'm planing on buying a high speed, high torque motor and downsizing the propeller and making a second wing just for those windy days at AMA field. 500-600 watt setup should bring me closer to 100-120mph.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 06:33 PM
Ed @ Experimental Airlines
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Sep 2011
456 Posts
By the way, are we talking Baji like Asian food, or martial arts, or something else? I'm just curious like that
ExperimentalAir is offline Find More Posts by ExperimentalAir
Old Mar 12, 2012, 06:36 PM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,426 Posts
I think this would be good wing for interior led lighting with white foam board. What do you guys think.
rich
rcrich is offline Find More Posts by rcrich
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:42 AM
Joined Nov 2011
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExperimentalAir View Post
By the way, are we talking Baji like Asian food, or martial arts, or something else? I'm just curious like that
It's after martial arts. Baji Quan I believe, my boss has a high title in that field.
I work at a company named BajiBot Media, we have an office dog, black Shiba-Inu named Baji, we jokingly call our boss BajiKing, and anything that has a Bajibot sticker on it (like my plane) automatically acquires name Baji-something

I've been a little busy, but I filmed another video showing off details. Need to edit it a little and upload. Also I'm modifying this wing for higher speeds, with a good motor and smaller prop.
After I figured out good a spot for the battery and found my perfect CG, I decided to put the battery inside the wing.
Currently I get ~60mph out of it, the goal is to get go slightly above 100, it tracks really well at full throttle, so I can't wait.
Last edited by templton89; Mar 13, 2012 at 10:47 AM.