Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:59 AM
Carthage, TX
United States, TX, Tenaha
Joined Mar 2012
556 Posts
Ok guys, I got my first 808 a few months ago and kinda know how to use it. I'm going to strap it to a plane for the first time today. My question is, is the velcro provided good enough to mount it to a plane? Should I also use a rubberband, zip tie, ect?
Colbyntx is offline Find More Posts by Colbyntx
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:11 AM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Dec 2010
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyntx View Post
Ok guys, I got my first 808 a few months ago and kinda know how to use it. I'm going to strap it to a plane for the first time today. My question is, is the velcro provided good enough to mount it to a plane? Should I also use a rubberband, zip tie, ect?
I use velcro and it seems to stay put. I also use a short length of fishing line tied to the camera and looped to a safe point on the aircraft just as insurance, but so far I've never had it come loose from a plane.
VideoKing is offline Find More Posts by VideoKing
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:16 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
del
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Last edited by fishycomics; Nov 27, 2012 at 02:50 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:43 AM
Carthage, TX
United States, TX, Tenaha
Joined Mar 2012
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoKing View Post
I use velcro and it seems to stay put. I also use a short length of fishing line tied to the camera and looped to a safe point on the aircraft just as insurance, but so far I've never had it come loose from a plane.
Good idea on the fishing line King. I am going to strap it to my PKZ F4U Corsair. I was thinking on the fuse just in front of the cockpit. I guess this would give a good view or is on a wing better so your not shooting through a prop?
Colbyntx is offline Find More Posts by Colbyntx
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:33 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyntx View Post
I use the Velcro pad underneath the camera, AND a strap over it.. Duct tape or Velcro.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:56 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
with.
Last edited by fishycomics; Nov 27, 2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:16 PM
United Kingdom, England, Dorset
Joined Sep 2011
200 Posts
motion sensor nightmare

lots of hassle with motion sensor, downloaded all newest relevant software and sensor worked after about 30 secs of no movement, retumed to recording with movement great. deleted the files and tried it again, just kept recording until manually stopped. deleted everything loaded the new firmware again used the new gui again couldnt get motion sensing to function. seems strange to me that there is no timer to set for period of no motion before sensor cuts recording.
also weird sometimes when saving the new config settings to camera i would get the old dialogue for saving with the countdown timer, sometimes it would be a newer dialogue telling you to hold button and watch for light indication and another time a dialogue just popped up saying saved without the need for button holding at all.
i tried deleting and installing several times without further success, something seems to be buggy here.
brianvc is offline Find More Posts by brianvc
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:21 PM
Joined Jul 2012
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
with fishing line you have to be careful of snags if ever in a crash. understanding the pound test is low. Spider to. a great tip, will remember that again.
What does this mean? The fishing wire is light and so are spiders?
irononreverse is online now Find More Posts by irononreverse
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:48 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianvc View Post
lots of hassle with motion sensor, downloaded all newest relevant software and sensor worked after about 30 secs of no movement, retumed to recording with movement great. deleted the files and tried it again, just kept recording until manually stopped. deleted everything loaded the new firmware again used the new gui again couldnt get motion sensing to function. seems strange to me that there is no timer to set for period of no motion before sensor cuts recording.
also weird sometimes when saving the new config settings to camera i would get the old dialogue for saving with the countdown timer, sometimes it would be a newer dialogue telling you to hold button and watch for light indication and another time a dialogue just popped up saying saved without the need for button holding at all.
i tried deleting and installing several times without further success, something seems to be buggy here.
If you "prepare" the camera, the GUI will use the old config file method. You should not do this if you want plug-and-play functionality - but it's there for those who need to create a config file. Nothing buggy in either the software or the firmware....

Make sure there is no config file on your disk, or, better still, format the disk using the GUI to rid the disk of any config file. It's all fully automatic using USB communication.

If you use firmware 0.49 or greater, start the GUI and then plug in the camera - or vice versa. The camera will always be automatically recognized. You don't need to do any button presses - it's fully automatic!

Tip: The line under the drive selection window, where the firmware date and version is shown, should include "(USB)" just before the firmware version. If it doesn't, the software has found an old configuration file and will use that instead of plug-and-play. If you use the latest GUI and firmware you never need to do any button presses because the software communicates directly with the camera.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:54 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
del.
Last edited by fishycomics; Nov 27, 2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:24 PM
Joined Jul 2012
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
said spider wire, same as fishing line, and its a cloth material.
Spider wire? You mean spider silk?

Same as fishing line? Cloth material? Fishing line is made of plastic...
irononreverse is online now Find More Posts by irononreverse
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:00 PM
Joined Mar 2012
87 Posts
Do you think it would be worth buying the #16 V2 with the 120 degrees lens when I already own the first #16.
Or perhaps the one with the B lens (13% wider)?
kjur is offline Find More Posts by kjur
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:10 PM
Wid
Live Your Dreams
United States, CA, Redwood Valley
Joined May 2001
502 Posts
120 degree lens worth it

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjur View Post
Do you think it would be worth buying the #16 V2 with the 120 degrees lens when I already own the first #16.
Or perhaps the one with the B lens (13% wider)?
I think the 120 (~90?) is worth the distortion. I could even use 120+. The two videos below show why. The 120 lens captures more sky. But the 120 lens does give up some of the more detailed closer ups.

120 lens
Red Tail Hawk harasses Allegro Lite (0 min 25 sec)

lens A (I think)
Allegro E Lite - Black Vulture 25 sec Dance (0 min 26 sec)

Hope this isn't bad netiquette as I have posted these links before.
Wid is online now Find More Posts by Wid
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:31 PM
Joined Nov 2012
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Smell That's a new one! Either you've got a beagle-like sense of smell or you left your camera lying around near your cat!?

Sorry for the facetious reply, but I can't detect any unusual smell during my normal handling and use of these cameras, either when it's off or on and quite warm. And it's not been mentioned in any of the prior 368,666 posts in this 11 month old thread. Sorry, I can't help with this one! Maybe another user with an acute sense of smell can comment.
Haha, no cats involved. Thanks for the reply, either way, and apologies for my belated answer. Yeah, I'm fairly sensitive to smell of electronic gadgets - I find that Samsung's phones, for example, smell particularly nice and like they have a "good build quality".

Anyway, this #16 has an unusual smell for a gadget (at least, mine does!). I'm guessing it's the rubbery plastic material used for the case. I've smelled the exact same thing walking around on opening day of CeBIT in Germany, and I couldn't help but wonder. I mean, those are, while connected in some distant ways, two very different things.
SteveCB is offline Find More Posts by SteveCB
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:53 PM
Clowns have more fun!
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Nov 2011
53 Posts
#16 V2 with the 120 degrees lens mounted on Tricopter

I found this molding material to mount my #16 V2 with the 120 degrees lens on my BlueSky Tricopter. It's solid becuase the mold is the shape of the camera.
This material is non-toxic and feels like rubber. It took just 20 minutes to mold.
I put a strip of U-glue on the bottom to fix to tricopter frame & just a dab on the camera lens. It seems the lens was a little loose in the camera. And for added security a velcro strap attached to frame. Videos will follow after the rain lets up . . . probably in March.
http://www.moldputty.com
CopterClown is offline Find More Posts by CopterClown