HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2012, 05:57 PM
Heads up...
United States, VA, Stafford
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
They are actually tooth pics painted silver. I drilled holes top and bottom and stuck them through and glued them in place. Considering doing red plug wires if I get too bored...
RMCCOR7737 is offline Find More Posts by RMCCOR7737
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2012, 08:20 AM
C.H.E.A.P.
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2005
1,351 Posts
Very cool detail! I wish I had patience! Just getting in the air is too much waiting even when assembling arfs lol!
MICKEL is offline Find More Posts by MICKEL
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Inverza33
Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:24 PM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Re-Maiden!

7 3S 2200 packs later I have to say SHE's BACK. i had maiden her earlier last week but it was only one flight. Today was different. I had 6 flights today - all with success .

Just as I remembered, she has a VERY BAD CASE of LEFT TORQUE ON TAKE-OFF. Luckily I was prepared this time .

Once in the air, she's well behave. I flew mostly in medium rates just as a precaution. I did all the basic maneuvers on this rate just fine. I noticed elevator could be better (I didn't feel it was a responsive as I liked) and didn't give me the lift I was expecting. I did used rubber bands on both front and reach of the canopy just as a precaution since I didn't want the canopy flying out.

I had 6:30 minutes on the timer and both battery and ESC was hardly warm to the touch. i think I could easily bump timer up slightly higher next time depending on recharge data.

i sure missed this plane...and now she's back (ill left tempter and all).
Reef_rc is offline Find More Posts by Reef_rc
Last edited by Reef_rc; Feb 29, 2012 at 05:09 PM. Reason: sentence
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:53 PM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Just noticed Model Aviation did their review on the Stearman - http://www.modelaviation.com/superstearman. The magazine has more details than what's on the web I noticed.

I find it interesting how most reviews somehow always seem to leave out the most obvious facts any pilot should be aware of if they purchase/fly this plane (i.e. major left turn on take-off) which could affect the user's chances of success. Sadly this review too did not mentioned such thing.

Regardless - I like mine for the past few weeks I've flown her. I have finally add the wheel pants and added a minor touch of silver/gray and black spray paint to the plastic motor
Old Mar 03, 2012, 04:30 PM
Manassas, Virginia
Joined May 2008
419 Posts
The winter weather finally let me maidian my Stearman today. I was ready on my sticks for some left temper that I read in this forum, but not fast enough. The plane turned 120 degrees left on take off. None of my 12 other planes have been so drastic. I will always take off with the right side facing me unless something changes with this plane. I flew around a while, it took more trim than almost any plane I have built. You can see a noticeable right aileron and right rudder when I came down. When I was about ready to land, I let it get a little too slow and it fell right out of the sky, but I let it dive and speed up and pulled it out just above the ground. It was back lit and I could not tell which side was up so I rolled around until I figured out which way was up and got it headed back to me. I flew by and pulled straight up. The eflite power 10 I put in the Stearman is larger, heaver, and more powerful than stock. That motor pulled the Stearman straight up at less than full throttle with unlimited vertical. I came down at a fairly steep angle and leveled off about a foot above the runway and cut power for a perfect landing. If I had not had 4 years of practice on other planes I would have crashed this one, it was a handful and I was shaking after I landed. I flew my Eflite Extra 260 just before this plane the Extra if very responsive but much easier to fly than the Stearman. After the Stearman, I flew my T28 which is extremely easier to fly by comparison.
GCplane is offline Find More Posts by GCplane
Old Mar 04, 2012, 06:00 PM
Heads up...
United States, VA, Stafford
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCplane View Post
You can see a noticeable right aileron and right rudder when I came down.
I actually added two washers on the left side of the motor to give it a little more right thrust because I too had heard of the Stearmans nasty left turn. I also read from a RCG member that they had raised the front of the top wing for more positive incidence. I noticed when I assembled mine it did seem to have some negative incidence. I am currently building an ACE RC All-Star biplane with much the same specs as the Stearman as far as wingspan, weight and power plant go. I hope it too does not have the same bad habits.
RMCCOR7737 is offline Find More Posts by RMCCOR7737
Old Mar 04, 2012, 10:08 PM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Flying GP Stearman is like taking chances with Russian Roulette on take off . I had three flights today and each take-off was an adrenaline rush. The rush comes and go once she gets some air. Expo will help some. So far I mostly fly on medium rates (high on elevator).

I have found if you increase throttle slowly left turn isn't as bad. Not sure if slightly bigger prop (10x8) will also help. These last few flights I was using 10x7 and recalled the previous 7 flights was with 10x8 and there seems to be less left turn on take-off. Anyway I plan to switch back to 10x8 just to see.

Also helps if you stay on FAR RIGHT on take-off
Last edited by Reef_rc; Mar 05, 2012 at 08:28 AM. Reason: update additional info.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 09:05 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Apr 2011
133 Posts
SS setup...

hello all,
i picked up a SS (cheap) and couldn't resist 'cause I thought it was such a great looking plane. I installed the recommended Rimfire .10, running a 40A ESC, and now looking into a prop. I have a 10x7SF lying around, & after reading about some of the thrust/torque issues, wondering if I should go w/ the 10x7E or 10x7SF?
thanks,
christian
vascoboy is offline Find More Posts by vascoboy
Old Mar 07, 2012, 12:42 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2012
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdansalvish View Post
Another problem I have with the plane is the recommend servos, which are Futaba S3114 Micro servos.
The Futaba 3114 servos are probably the best in class for torque vs weight but, they are very narrow. If you want to use standard 9 gram servos you will have to do a lot of modificaton of the servo mounts in the airframe. I have run across this before with GP models.
buracho topspin is offline Find More Posts by buracho topspin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 14, 2012, 02:13 PM
Grafton WI
Joined Jul 2004
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_rc View Post
I am going to give the benefit of the doubt that this was just a one off since I used every new parts as recommended by GP exception for Spectrum receiver and HK battery. I've never had issues in the past. That's also b/c of this that's bugging me. Everything should have worked. My time is limited and so when I used parts per recommendation, I expect stuff like this doesn't happen. I don't have time to call help desk or customer support when I have to work 10 hrs day. But enough of gripping....I am just going to move on and be very cautious next time if and when I decide to use a similar recommendation. AMP parameters are just too close to max AMP to give me peace of mind that it wasn't the ESC. I like your 50 AMP buffer. 45 seems an ideal balance. But I am no ESC pro, just an average RC pilot.

I apologize for the rant but this really chaps my hide
I purchased my ESC and Motor from Innov8tive Designs. They told me that the GP recommendations are to light.
Hotrcair is offline Find More Posts by Hotrcair
Old Mar 14, 2012, 02:23 PM
Grafton WI
Joined Jul 2004
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
Gary,

There are other Free On-Line calculators and they offer some nice features more than the one I usually use but, it is my opinion that the accuracy that the one I use and lack of features do not hinder the ultimate decision to find a good power system setup for purposes in this hobby.

It works on Pull down menus and if your motor selection is not listed then the need to select "Custom" will be required and manually input the motors parameters.

http://brantuas.com/ezcalc/dma1.asp

Happy Landings!
Carlos
I think this is a dead company I tried all of the menu stuff and got nothing
Old Mar 14, 2012, 04:05 PM
Grafton WI
Joined Jul 2004
103 Posts
Super Pictures

Here are a few pictures of mine
Name: P2110002.jpg
Views: 43
Size: 188.3 KB
Description: Super

Name: P2110003.jpg
Views: 50
Size: 159.8 KB
Description: Super

Name: P2110004.jpg
Views: 48
Size: 175.2 KB
Description:

Name: P2110005.jpg
Views: 50
Size: 173.4 KB
Description:
Old Mar 14, 2012, 04:19 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,103 Posts
Love it!

warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:46 PM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
relatively slow thread and not much new maiden it seems based on the activity. Seems everyone is either flying theirs happily without much issues or have had major set back. Luckily I am the "happily" crowd .

Some recommedations for those who have not maiden theirs. Since the plane has a bad take-off tendency to steer left,I find the following helps me to be successful and hope this help others. It's really is a nice plane outside of a few bad traits which might steer others away.

With too many numerous flights to count with mine, I have to say it has gotten a lot easier once I settled on 10x8 prop, medium rates on elevator and rudder on take-offs and landings. I also find no bounce wheels help avoid scenarios I come in slightly too fast an the plane does a small hop. Take off with head winds is definitely a must have otherwise being a relatively small plane, she'll tend to steer herself that directtion whether you like it or not and at times it's not for the better (especially if you have concerte parking lot blocks in the way ).

Now back to replacing the motor I just burned out on my last flight today. Somehow the motor gave out on my last flight today. I could smell the burnt smell after the a last minute mayday landing.
Old May 05, 2012, 05:48 PM
Joined May 2012
6 Posts
Hi guys,
I have been following this thread with a lot of interest!!
I have couple of questions if you don't mind
I have 3 DS410 servos laying around, can I use them instead of the S3114?
I also have AR6115e, can I use this Rx?
And as far as the ESC, can I use CC PHOENIX ICE 50 BL and get away with the rimfire 0.1 motor or you would still recommend other motor?

Align DS410 Digital 0.45 oz (12.7 g) 0.930.491.04 in (23.612.426.4 mm)
4.8V: 25.0 oz-in (1.8 kg-cm)
6.0V: 30.6 oz-in (2.2 kg-cm)
4.8V: 0.13 sec/60
6.0V: 0.09 sec/60

Futaba S3114 Analog 0.28 oz (7.8 g) 0.870.430.79 in (22.110.920.1 mm)
4.8V: 21.0 oz-in (1.5 kg-cm)
6.0V: 24.0 oz-in (1.7 kg-cm)
4.8V: 0.10 sec/60
6.0V: 0.09 sec/60

Thank a lot, I appreciate anything to have to suggest.
nirtza79 is offline Find More Posts by nirtza79