HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 27, 2014, 08:30 AM
Keith Thomas
United States, NM, Portales
Joined Feb 2010
983 Posts
I found this article from an full size aviation discussion. The one thing we are missing in our discussion is gravity. I also read that the heavier plane will tend to maintain that speed longer during a zoom out.

Consider two planes that are of the exact same shape, have the exact same engine, and the exact same design. Now pretend that one of these planes is made out of balsa wood and the other from cast iron. They both have the same drag coefficient (Cd) and projected area area (A), and the density of the air they are traveling through (p) is exactly the same. The denominator in the equation is constant, and the only difference in the numerator is that one plane has higher mass. Result? the heavier plane cast iron plane on the left dives faster:
keithtsr is offline Find More Posts by keithtsr
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 06:01 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,396 Posts
Quote:
The one thing we are missing in our discussion is gravity. I also read that the heavier plane will tend to maintain that speed longer during a zoom out.
The other thing is the symmetrical airfoil used on the H32. It works well for stunt planes and pattern planes but not for pure speed planes period. Overweight and symmetrical don't work well together at all. A symmetrical airfoil needs more AOA to carry more weight, self defeating..
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
Last edited by ApexAero; Yesterday at 06:09 AM. Reason: word
Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,884 Posts
I think the one who cleans up the airframe the most will win (gear doors, low canopy, clean ducting and proper aft biased CG).
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some photos of the EDF fleet!