HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2009, 07:15 PM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,194 Posts
Discussion
Anyone know anything about an Oldie Woodie called Javelin II

SOrry for the cross post, but I thought maaybe I would get more responses from this section of the Sailplanes.

Does anyone have any knowledge to comment on this model?
fnnwizard is offline Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Last edited by fnnwizard; Sep 02, 2009 at 03:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2009, 08:25 PM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,041 Posts
It's been a while, but the Javelin evolved from an earlier design called the Dart (somewhat resembled a Slingsby Dart). It was developed by SULA member, Paul Parzik(sp?). Don't know if Paul is still with us. It was manufactured in his SoCal PV garage. What made the early ones unique, was the partially rolled thin plywood fuselage, like a closed taco shell. The first ones had AstroFlite Monterey type wings.

They were very competitive and went through several versions. Spans increased, polyhedral was added and the last ones had elliptical dihedral, like a Hobie Hawk.

I'm guessing there aren't very many left.

Norm F.
Norm Furutani is offline Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2009, 10:02 PM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,194 Posts
Hi Norm, Thank you for the info. you are right about Paul Parszik being designer. Did you attend the SC2 at SULA last month? If so I was there too. I was going to build this and modify it to take a winch launch, but the wings were already built but were not included in the box. I didn't know that until further inspection of the box.

Anyway, I may build a set of wings from scratch with carbon to take a std winch launch and use the existing wings (looks poorly built) for electric conversion.

Any one know if Mr. Parszik is still around?
Thanks again!
fnnwizard is offline Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Last edited by fnnwizard; Jul 01, 2009 at 10:36 PM.
Old Jul 02, 2009, 06:18 PM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnnwizard
Hi Norm, Thank you for the info. you are right about Paul Parszik being designer. Did you attend the SC2 at SULA last month? If so I was there too. I was going to build this and modify it to take a winch launch, but the wings were already built but were not included in the box. I didn't know that until further inspection of the box.

Anyway, I may build a set of wings from scratch with carbon to take a std winch launch and use the existing wings (looks poorly built) for electric conversion.

Any one know if Mr. Parszik is still around?
Thanks again!
Yes, I was at the SULA SC2 contest. Didn't fly. The last contest I flew in was probably back when they were flying Javelins!

There's some pics posted on the SULA web site. See: http://www.soaringunionoflosangeles.org/home.html

- Norm
Norm Furutani is offline Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member