SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 19, 2006, 08:45 PM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
Discussion
Pilot report Estes Sky Ranger RTF from Walmart. $19.98

I found another Estes Sky Ranger at Walmart last night and had to have it. Similar to the AA in control but much faster speeds. Only three position throttle; off, medium and WOT. The "rudder" control will only hold a command for 1.5 seconds and then it will release. To spiral dive it in you must release the stick and hit it again. Nice feature for novice fliers. It flies much better that the Air Hogs Aero Ace but much faster too. This one is not for indoors at home but will fly in a basketball court with no problems. I looked for it on the Estes and Walmart sites but unable to find it listed. Twin pusher, low wing with polyhedral, 14" wingspan, Also has a feature that when the Lipo start to die you can turn off the transmitter and back on again for more battery life. Or so they say. I did notice a slight improvement but not much. It is well worth the 20 bucks plus tax and handles wind much better. I do like that even with the throttle off you can jab some rudder to bring one engine back on line. With the AA you had better be lined up when you close the throttle.

Have fun!
56S is online now Find More Posts by 56S
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:07 PM
My backpack's got jets...
Omaha, NE
Joined Aug 2005
613 Posts
Whoa, whoa, whoa........... you DO realize you are OBLIGATED to post at least one picture of this & it's box? Simply because Estes Sky Rangers, Walmart & LiPo have never been used in the same sentence without it starting with "I wish they'd..." or "It'd be great if..." & "When.." "Why.." etc..... Oh & I guess also the fact that this flys better than our beloved lil' AeroAces !?? I gotta admit, I'm almost half-way out the door as I type! but am thinking this is too good to be true & @ >$20<! I feel as if my 'chain may be getting pulled' or yanked' soo... I'm gonna hold back from wally-world so I'm not bummed when I would get there....

PICs!!!! PLEASE!!!

EDIT" What's the name of this thing??? on the box other than estes sky rangers???
Corbin_Dallas is offline Find More Posts by Corbin_Dallas
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:25 PM
"On the Wing"
Ohio
Joined Jul 2006
757 Posts
I saw this belly wing plane too. Opened box & read instructions. Too many restrictions and too few throttle positions for me. The AA is very hard to beat in the differential thrust department. I'm passing on this one.

Here's 1 good reason: 2 minute flight time, motor kicks off, you have to turn the TX off then back on to stay in the air. Hope you are not headed into a tree when that happens.

Then there's the timed (1.5 second) turning cut-off.

Here's a real deal killer. A differential thrust power system with NO trim adjustment.

$19.99 is nice. 4 extra props is nice, lipo is nice. Plane looks cool. Still, I'll buy another AA first.

Oh yeah, it also does not seem to have a name. As Sienfeld would say "What's up with that?"
paulo810 is offline Find More Posts by paulo810
Last edited by paulo810; Dec 19, 2006 at 10:37 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 05:39 AM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
I'll take some photos and post after work today. As far as the trim, I noticed that but so far it hasn't been needed. The little tike flies straight out of the box.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 06:39 AM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
Managed to get the photo shoot in before work.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 08:16 AM
Infinite Zenith
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Sep 2006
2,467 Posts
looks like a fun plane, if you modify it.
Draven is offline Find More Posts by Draven
Old Dec 20, 2006, 10:13 AM
OpenGL C/C++ programer
Israel
Joined Dec 2006
771 Posts
[QUOTE=paulo810]I saw this belly wing plane too. Opened box & read instructions. Too many restrictions and too few throttle positions for me. The AA is very hard to beat in the differential thrust department. I'm passing on this one.
QUOTE]

dude, i think for 20bux its worth only for its parts...
axelen is offline Find More Posts by axelen
Old Dec 20, 2006, 10:47 PM
"On the Wing"
Ohio
Joined Jul 2006
757 Posts
Have you ever tried to fly a twin motor plane with one prop spinning faster than the other and no trim adjustment?

Why not just get another AA dude?
paulo810 is offline Find More Posts by paulo810
Old Dec 29, 2006, 03:31 PM
MAD MEN QCRC
Joined Jun 2006
604 Posts
Mod to Use AA RX

My Estes Sky Ranger has been sitting on the shelf for a couple weeks after a disappointing first flight session. Estes took a nice flying well designed little plane and screwed it up royally with the 2 minute engine cut off, 1.5 second control limit and no trim! It was very hard to fly in a slight breeze and I wound up hitting a stone and nicking the wing because I forgot to keep pulsing the stick to regain control. Anyway, today I got to tinkering and swapped out the Estes RX with a spare AA jet RX. Took it back to the park and wow, what a sweet flying plane! Flys smoothly and gracefully with no death spiral tendencies and glides like a sail plane from up high! Handled a slight wind fine and is better than either the AA bipe or jet in that respect! I just left the stock Estes motors and lipo alone and just wired in the AA RX. Not recommending that you buy one just to make it an AA mod but if you have a defunct AA laying around for $19.95 at Walmart you can get a new nice flying plane, capped motors, two extra props and a nice Lipo battery. Not a bad deal! Bill
RCBilly is offline Find More Posts by RCBilly
Old Dec 30, 2006, 02:17 PM
USA, NY, Syracuse
Joined May 2005
874 Posts
[IMG]estes4160[/IMG] I just picked one up at walmart $20,couldn't pass it up. It cost me an extra $20 because I had my kids with me, a thomas train & barbie doll.
beer-man is online now Find More Posts by beer-man
Old Dec 31, 2006, 03:42 AM
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Joined Dec 2006
4,267 Posts
The plane looks sweet! And I like the Aero Ace RX mod.

Most amazing thing is, a plane from Estes that has more controls than just push-button left and right!
msnyder is offline Find More Posts by msnyder
Old Jan 02, 2007, 01:32 AM
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Joined Dec 2006
4,267 Posts
Grabbed the only one on the shelf at walmart in mountain view. No price label, and no label on the shelf, but it scanned for $19.95.

Looks really pretty! Have to wait till morning to fly it...

Notes (some already mentioned here):
1) Only two speeds (three if you count "off"), bang-bang yaw control.

2) Yaw (left/right) control auto-shutoffs after 1.5 second -- actually seems more like 1 second or less to me. This forces you to "pulse" it, which is probably a good idea anyway. By pulsing at varying frequencies, you can probably get the equivalent of proportional steering.

2) TX shuts off after 2 minutes of flight, forcing shorter flights (and allowing the mfgr to claim multiple "flights" off a single charge). You have to turn it off and then on again to reset the TX and continue flying -- but you can do this in mid flight if you want.

3) Plane is made of a stiff, fragile kind of styrofoam, not at all flexible or resiliant. Probably damage easily. Good candidate for taping, but of course that will add weight.

4) Everything's sealed up pretty good -- won't be easy to open it up without damaging it. The plane's "chin" (underside of nose) has a hard plastic skid plate glued on, which will probably protect it during landings but prevents getting at the battery.

Anybody know what size battery it's got? I assume it's Lipo.

5) Plane is bigger than AA, but box is smaller. That's because the plane ships in two pieces -- wing and fuse -- which you peal-and-stick together. There's a 3 wire connector that you plug in first for the motors. Once you stick the wing on, though, it's on permanently. TX is the same approximate size and weight as the AA tx.

6) Charging connector is virtually identical to that of the AA. I haven't measured, but I assume there is a diode in there between the battery and charging plug, like the AA.

7) TX charger has vents in one side, which the directions say are for heat dissipation during charging, and they advise you not to block. Heat dissipation during charging!?!?? What the heck are you doing, wasting enough watts to make excess heat in the charger? They also say that it takes 30 minutes to charge, and they advise replacing the alkaline batteries after EVERY FOUR CHARGE CYCLES!!!

Holy cow -- that's not very ecologically sensitive...
Old Jan 02, 2007, 01:58 AM
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Joined Dec 2006
4,267 Posts
OK, and it weighs about 27 grams -- 50% more than the AA biplane.
Old Jan 02, 2007, 04:30 PM
Colorado springs CO
Joined Jan 2007
294 Posts
xxxx
microdesigner is offline Find More Posts by microdesigner
Last edited by microdesigner; Oct 23, 2008 at 03:31 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2007, 05:31 PM
♠ ♂ ♠
Mile High City
Joined Dec 2004
473 Posts
Hi, microdesigner from Colorado Springs this is bEbOp from Windsor Colorado, I must say I'm seeing alot of people from the mile high starting to post on the various online forums. Nice to see ya'.

What really has me scratching my head is the fact that spinmasters has patents on there Radio setup.!! I have tons of spinmasters stuff like AA's, Picooz's, SL Single Wing's, and a Stormlauncher. (Silverlit and spinmasters AkA airhogs are pretty much bed buddies ). I consider myself kinda loyal to them just because they make good stuff that does fly like advertised. What really pulls my chain is that they think they own dual motor pusher plane's.!!! How absurd___ I can think of tons of dual motor pushers on the market.

So what are the details of there "patent" on the radio setup? There is really nothing special about the AA other then it has 7 throttle steps. Its not like you were attempting to make a 1-1 copy of the AeroAce judging by your final product. This is a really odd one!!!

I wish you would have made it T/R/E or T/A/E, kept it looking cool, Kept that lipo, and made it pro-po, with no motor shut down sequence.(well maybee an out of distance shut down sequence). If you did that and kept it under 30$$ it would be more popular then the Picco Z Sometimes you need Spice in your life and a chance to step away from the sedate flying of all the other micro toys on the market.

Anybody agree
bEbOp ¿? is offline Find More Posts by bEbOp ¿?