HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2013, 09:49 PM
United States, TX, La Porte
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
Thanks Pat, I will add some braces to the top. I have not drilled the rails yet as I am still not sure just where the latches are going to end up. I will line them up though. I just hope the lid fits..
Gravman is offline Find More Posts by Gravman
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2013, 09:55 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,745 Posts
They'll line up... loose assemble top and bottom parts, put top on the bottom, and only then start drilling and riveting.
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Oct 05, 2013, 06:03 AM
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Jan 2012
1,591 Posts
oldbilgewater is offline Find More Posts by oldbilgewater
Old Oct 05, 2013, 03:03 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
Road Case

Today I put together the top of the case. I also added the corners to the bottom. As Pat suggested I have not riveted the top together at this point. I want to get a good fit between the top and the bottom before I fasten everything in place.
Old Oct 05, 2013, 03:09 PM
Crackin' Claws
United States, FL, Oviedo
Joined Oct 2012
1,130 Posts
Looks great!
STONECRAB is offline Find More Posts by STONECRAB
Old Oct 12, 2013, 08:22 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
Road Case

Today was both a very good day and a bad day. I finished the road case today. And the model actually fit in the case. Who knew? Knowing myself as I do, there was a 50/50 chance that it would not have fit.

Now that I have built one I can say a few things about it. If you have a nice model and you want to protect it this is the way to do it. The case proved harder to build than I thought it would be. This may be in part due to my less than stellar building skills. It was not a cheap project and you can expect to spend at least $200.00 to gather all the parts and things that you need. There were 196 rivets in my case. I can tell you it was hard on the old guys hands to set the rivets. I have no hand strength. If I had to build another I would definitely invest in a air powered rivet gun. It would have made things a lot easier. Anyone can build one of these, if I can do it you can do it. Just keep in mind not to fasten anything permanently until the top and bottom pieces fit properly together.

Now for the bad things. I dropped my digital camera when the carry loop snagged on the drill press handle and pulled out of my hands. It hit the concrete floor and has not worked since. I had it for a number of years and I really feel bad about breaking it.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 08:45 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,745 Posts
Good news, if you have or want a smart phone- their cameras have gotten so good, I hardly use my dSLR any more!

Case looks great, and the tug, congrats. I've learned that it's good to allow a little space fore and aft, for thick pieces of foam... it's often hard to stop the model from sliding in its cradle (bump!).

Yes, there are lots of choices with the case hardware, different types of latches and such, and they usually have to overlap the extrusions... it's hard to tell from the catalog which pieces really work together, and which will be kind of ga-norpy in their fit... experience, I guess!
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350