HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 14, 2013, 10:31 PM
Joined Nov 2005
118 Posts
Discussion
Dumas Huson 24 kit #1117

Hi all im looking at building a small sail boat like the 24'' Huson .I have been involved in the r/c boat hobby for 35 years mainly scratch building nitro and fast electric race boats from wood. I have no experience with sail boats.Is the Huson 24 a good sail boat ? Are there some up grades that can be made to this kit for performance as its a 25 + yr old kit? Any input would be great. Regards Andris Golts.
riggerman is offline Find More Posts by riggerman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:36 PM
Sequim, WA
Joined Jan 2004
182 Posts
My Huson 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggerman View Post
Hi all im looking at building a small sail boat like the 24'' Huson. I have no experience with sail boats.Is the Huson 24 a good sail boat ? Are there some up grades that can be made to this kit for performance as its a 25 + yr old kit? Any input would be great. Regards Andris Golts.
Andris,
I built one several years ago when I was living in Laramie Wyoming and it sailed nicely in some decent winds. Is yours the wood hull or the fiberglass hull. It was my first boat model and it had the planked hull. The build went very well. I had a little trouble bending the balsa wood for the planks. I'm working on a Canterbury J now and I've come up with a good way of softening the wood so I can bend it. Here is a link to my build of the CJ with my bending tank. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=cj+503&page=5
The only mistake I made was with some spacing at the aft end of the cockpit, I used the wrong size wood for the spacers, the size I used was too small. It wasn't very hard to fix. I added DuBro turn buckles on the stays and also on the boomvang.
Here are a couple of pictures of my boat, I had just added the turnbuckles and hadn't trimmed the excess lines yet. I wanted to be sure that I had them tight enough.
Send me an email if you have any questions, but don't ask how long it took to build, I'm one of those people that contemplates my next move for weeks if I haven't done something once before.
jimhurley is offline Find More Posts by jimhurley
Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:49 PM
Hayward, CA
Joined Jan 2009
839 Posts
Here is my build:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=986529
The boat sails very nice, a little slow to tack because of the big keel, but the hull shape and rudder response is very good.
Vince Hoffmann is offline Find More Posts by Vince Hoffmann
Old Jul 18, 2013, 12:58 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,728 Posts
Jim are the pictures taken in Wyoming? Beautiful out there. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Old Jul 18, 2013, 01:42 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norgale View Post
I was wondering the same thing... Nice, wide open country... With a pond similar to the one Brooks sails on nearby, it would be complete.
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jul 18, 2013, 01:46 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,728 Posts
Looks like a nice place to retire after my retirement.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 07:59 PM
Sequim, WA
Joined Jan 2004
182 Posts
Larmie

Quote:
Yes they were taken on the pad in front of the house, the house is behind me and the garage was to the left. There was a nice pond across town, about a fifteen minute drive.
There is something that you should know about Laramie, it sticks up into the jet stream and a calm day has winds of 20-25mph. It was hard to find a day when one could sail. We did do a lot of fly fishing though. We are in Sequim Washington now on the North Olympic Peninsula, but I would rather be back in Wyoming. We needed to move due to health reasons, my wife has Alzheimer's.
You can go to my web site http://www.purxtaz.com to check out some more pictures of Wyoming.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:20 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,728 Posts
Nice pictures on your website Jim. I like the snow and the creeks and the lakes with all the fir trees. Beautiful country. Sorry to hear about the wife. Not a pleasant thing to have to deal with. Thanks for the reply and the link to the pictures. Pete
Last edited by norgale; Jul 19, 2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:16 PM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,367 Posts
What Pete said +1.

Don
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Jul 20, 2013, 12:45 PM
Sequim, WA
Joined Jan 2004
182 Posts
Pronghorn Pictures

Quote:
Nice pictures on your website Jim. I like the snow and the creeks and the lakes with all the fir trees. Beautiful country. Sorry to hear about the wife. Not a pleasant thing to have to deal with. Thanks for the reply and the link to the pictures. Pete
Just a note, the pronghorns in the pictures were all in my yard when they were taken and the closeups were taken through my front window. They were just on the other side of a sidewalk that went across the front of the house. You can see what I was talking about in the attached picture. The front of the house faced south, you could see the Colorado Rockies from the front, the Laramie range to the east and north and the Snowy range and the Medicine Bow range to the west. A geological fact: The Snowy range actually sits on top of the Medicine Bow range, I believe it is the only place in the world that has this geological feature. The winter pictures were taken in the Snowy range in October. The second picture demonstrates the power and persistence of the winds. Same house original color.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 02:24 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Cold and windy! still, sounds like a nice place.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 05:02 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,728 Posts
With all the wildlife around it must be very interesting. The Moose and the deer are really neat to see that close and the birds too. Amazing that the birds can survive in that cold climate in the winter. Amazing that anything can survive that kind of cold. Was the sunset in the winter too? Looked to be cold then. I like the house too, especially the two car garage. I could put a lot of good junk in that much space. Ha! Pete
Old Jul 20, 2013, 05:55 PM
Sequim, WA
Joined Jan 2004
182 Posts
Sunset

Quote:
With all the wildlife around it must be very interesting. The Moose and the deer are really neat to see that close and the birds too. Amazing that the birds can survive in that cold climate in the winter. Amazing that anything can survive that kind of cold. Was the sunset in the winter too? Looked to be cold then. I like the house too, especially the two car garage. I could put a lot of good junk in that much space. Ha! Pete
We need to apologize to Andris for hijacking his thread, I hope he will forgive us.
The sunset pictures were taken in September. The garage was actually a three car garage and there was a stairway down into the basement so we could get into it in the winter and not have to dig out an outside stairwell. There was an inside access to the basement too, but I wanted to be able to get out of the basement without going through the house. In case you didn't realize it Laramie is 7265 feet in elevation. The coldest temperature while we were there that I saw on the thermometer was minus 33. It would get up into the 70's in the summer with an occasional 80+ day. It could stay in the range between -8 to -10 in the daytime and -16 to -20 at night in the winter for a few weeks at a time. I feel the cold her in Washington on the north Olympic Peninsula more that I did in the winters in Wyoming. It was never hard to figure out what to wear in Wyoming in the winter. I would move back there in an instant if I didn't have to deal with my wife's Alzheimer's.
The only scary thing you had to deal with their was the summer thunderstorms. If you were out fishing at one of the lakes and your hair on the pack of your neck started to stand up you dropped your fishing pole and headed for the truck.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 11:54 AM
United States, NY, Queensbury
Joined Feb 2014
12 Posts
Newly Finished Boat

Just completed a Huson 24 from a kit that was given to me. Used 1oz. cloth and epoxy for hull exterior. Have built several Dumas kits in past but found the instructions for this boat to be rather poor. Also own a Soling and Westward18 so will use the TX/RX from one of these. Just awaiting servos (and springtime!).
gleninst is online now Find More Posts by gleninst
Old Nov 14, 2014, 12:26 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Nice looking boat, gleninst!