SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 28, 2013, 11:11 AM
Canada, QC
Joined Jun 2013
278 Posts
Build Log
Simplecopter.com Tripcopter 2.0 build

This thread is intended to provide in-depth help to anyone new to RC and whishing to build the tricopter 2.0 (or basically any copter) from Simplecopter.com.

User prologue did a way better job than I and came up with an exhaustive list of all the parts necessary to build the tricopter to from scratch.

Find the list here
ItsSweetAvard is offline Find More Posts by ItsSweetAvard
Last edited by ItsSweetAvard; Aug 06, 2013 at 12:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2013, 11:41 AM
FPV Addict
United States, TX, Forney
Joined May 2013
1,373 Posts
You are correct:

Flight Board will control 3 of the same ESC's which will control 3 of the same motors. One battery will power it all.

I have watched his videos numerous times and have wondered how those motors are holding up to 4S power. From what I could find online I thought they are only rated for 3s. I have 4 of them on a Quadcopter and run 3S and have plenty of power for me.

In his quote from his video he is discussing 2 different multirotors and the sentances run together a little bit.
starvinmrvn is online now Find More Posts by starvinmrvn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flying 2-23-14
Old Jun 28, 2013, 12:17 PM
not insane; Mom had me tested
Marietta Ga.
Joined Apr 2005
831 Posts
keep in mind that its the watts not volts that count. also i burst throttle i dont hold full for long ( it would be gone) i usualy go by heat for my testing. if the motor is warm not hot after 15 sec static full throttle i am good. the sunntsky 2212 1400kv have plenty of power on 3 cell with 8x4.5 slow fly props. more than most people will use.
hallstudio is online now Find More Posts by hallstudio
Old Jun 28, 2013, 12:25 PM
FPV Addict
Joined May 2013
1,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallstudio View Post
keep in mind that its the watts not volts that count. also i burst throttle i dont hold full for long ( it would be gone) i usualy go by heat for my testing. if the motor is warm not hot after 15 sec static full throttle i am good. the sunntsky 2212 1400kv have plenty of power on 3 cell with 8x4.5 slow fly props. more than most people will use.
btw. . . your videos and multicopters look great.

Would you agree that 4s for a beginner is a little to much given the situation? If I was asked to offer an opinion I would say to the OP use 3s on your tricopter for at least a few months while you are learning the characteristics of it. It should be just a little bit cheaper and lighter also.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 28, 2013, 01:24 PM
Canada, QC
Joined Jun 2013
278 Posts
thanks to both of you! I might just go with a 3s for a starter then..

@hallstudio: not only do your videos look great... they're freaking addictive!! How am I supposed to get this work done now? :P

One thing now, I feel dumb for asking, but if you look at this picture of the SunnySky X2212-1400kv, there seems to be 2 shafts.. is that normal? I just don't want to order 3 motors only to find out a month later when it all arrives that I did not order the right one.. From what I understand, there should be only one shaft in order to sits properly on the arm, am I right?

Also, I'm lost with the props... I read a lot and it's confusing.. I would have go with the 8x4 prop on simplecopter, as the reviews are really good, but they're out of stock. Now I had a look at http://www.innov8tivedesigns.com/ where they have a wide variety... They don't have slow flying 8x4.5... My question is, how do you choose the right propeller? And how is the CW/CCW combination working?
Old Jun 28, 2013, 01:36 PM
FPV Addict
Joined May 2013
1,373 Posts
I am not sure where you are located. I purchase all my batteries and motors from buddyrc.com and props and electronics from Paul at www.witespyquad.gostorego.com. Paul usually always has 8" and 9" props in stock.

The 1400kv I got from buddyrc didnt have the bottom shaft. But I got 1500kv from there that did. I just cut the bottom off with a dremel.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 28, 2013, 02:15 PM
Tulsa Int, Oklahoma, United States
Joined Oct 2003
256 Posts
That motor is out of stock at the moment at buddyrc.
wildnloose is offline Find More Posts by wildnloose
Old Jun 28, 2013, 02:24 PM
FPV Addict
Joined May 2013
1,373 Posts
Oh no! I am sorry. I should have double checked. He has really quick processing and shipping when he has it in stock.

Both of the motors I run are out of stock. . .
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 28, 2013, 02:51 PM
Canada, QC
Joined Jun 2013
278 Posts
Yeah, I saw they were out of stock, but no problem man! You've already answer many of my questions and I really appreciate that!

I found these props on hobbyking http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...on_Black_.html

I'm just not sure if LH/RH rotation is the same thing as CW/CCW?
Old Jun 28, 2013, 02:55 PM
FPV Addict
Joined May 2013
1,373 Posts
Yep. RH = CW and LH = CCW. Make sure to order many spares. they shear off easily if they hit anything.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 28, 2013, 03:18 PM
Canada, QC
Joined Jun 2013
278 Posts
one last question and then I think I'll be good to order... The hobbyking flashed F30a ESC are apparently better then the PLUSH 30. However, I'm not really familiar with flashing so far... and I'm wondering if I'd be better off with the PLUSH 30 than the UNFLASHED F30a?
Old Jun 28, 2013, 03:26 PM
FPV Addict
Joined May 2013
1,373 Posts
Sorry, I buy my esc's preflashed from Paul at the link I gave earlier. I do not have knowledge of other ESC's. Someone will chime in.

These are the ones I run for reference. http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/spe...ultirotor.html
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 28, 2013, 04:47 PM
Marietta Ga.
Joined Apr 2005
831 Posts
3 cell is fine for most aps. 4 cell is just for showing off or getting realy high with fpv gear realy fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvinmrvn View Post
btw. . . your videos and multicopters look great.

Would you agree that 4s for a beginner is a little to much given the situation? If I was asked to offer an opinion I would say to the OP use 3s on your tricopter for at least a few months while you are learning the characteristics of it. It should be just a little bit cheaper and lighter also.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 04:50 PM
Marietta Ga.
Joined Apr 2005
831 Posts
thanks for the complement anyone can do this given enough time and practice.I have been flying for 25 years and have never felt like i was much more than average to OK.just take one step at a time and buy a crap load of props and zip ties.
you have to cut the shaft off. some of the new 2212 980kv are comming without the botom shaft.
right now i like the red hobbyking props $2.79 for 4 not the cheaper ones. you need twice as many clockwize then you do counter clockwize.
i like gotheli.com props also and ge is in the USA and ship's Very fast.gemfan plastic 8x4.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsSweetAvard View Post
thanks to both of you! I might just go with a 3s for a starter then..

@hallstudio: not only do your videos look great... they're freaking addictive!! How am I supposed to get this work done now? :P

One thing now, I feel dumb for asking, but if you look at this picture of the SunnySky X2212-1400kv, there seems to be 2 shafts.. is that normal? I just don't want to order 3 motors only to find out a month later when it all arrives that I did not order the right one.. From what I understand, there should be only one shaft in order to sits properly on the arm, am I right?

Also, I'm lost with the props... I read a lot and it's confusing.. I would have go with the 8x4 prop on simplecopter, as the reviews are really good, but they're out of stock. Now I had a look at http://www.innov8tivedesigns.com/ where they have a wide variety... They don't have slow flying 8x4.5... My question is, how do you choose the right propeller? And how is the CW/CCW combination working?
Old Jun 28, 2013, 04:57 PM
Marietta Ga.
Joined Apr 2005
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsSweetAvard View Post
one last question and then I think I'll be good to order... The hobbyking flashed F30a ESC are apparently better then the PLUSH 30. However, I'm not really familiar with flashing so far... and I'm wondering if I'd be better off with the PLUSH 30 than the UNFLASHED F30a?
the flashed are out there and the F30A is the best i have found. I flash some for people and they are available from some of the rcgroups guys.