HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2013, 12:02 PM
england newcastle
Joined Aug 2009
229 Posts
Question
Hk 450 build

Hi guys im just about to build my first cp heli after owning a honey bee cp2 a few years ago and not being able to fly it

After my recent birthday I've decided I wouldn't mind another shot at it and decided to order the

HK-450GT CCPM 3D Full Alloy Helicopter Kit (Align T-Rex Compat.)

Along with

Hobby King 401B AVCS Digital Head Lock Gyro

And the

Turnigy L2822-3700 Brushless Heli Motor (420w) with 12t pinion

Ive got loads of 2200 mah 3s lipos and a 40 amp esc to go into this build sofar but have got a list of other parts which I'm going to get which are

FMentor-3D - Flymentor 3D helicopter stabilisation System

FLYM-PPC - Flymentor Programing Box

CF-325 - 325mm Carbon Fiber Main Blades

SBEC-26V - Turnigy 5A (8-26v) SBEC for Lipo

But im stuck on what servos to go for I was thinking of tower pro mg90s for the cyclic but haven't a clue about the tail soo what would you guys recommend for the tail or both something cheap but decent

Thanks in advance and look forward to seeing your advice

Les
drifter_uk is online now Find More Posts by drifter_uk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2013, 12:51 AM
Joined Mar 2012
386 Posts
for tail you can go with a fitec 9257 or you can go with hobbyking 732
volumax is offline Find More Posts by volumax
Old Jun 11, 2013, 04:56 AM
england newcastle
Joined Aug 2009
229 Posts
Thanks for the reply I've decided on the corona 939 for the cyclic and the 929 digital for the tail so hope these will be spot on

Just put my order in to hobbyking

Les
drifter_uk is online now Find More Posts by drifter_uk
Old Jul 18, 2013, 03:07 PM
Seymour,TN
Joined Feb 2010
251 Posts
have you received your HK 450 kit yet? I was thinking about ordering one myself but had a couple of concerns about have to mod the tail boom to get rotor housing to fit
TcCobra13 is offline Find More Posts by TcCobra13
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: First quad build
Old Jul 19, 2013, 02:30 AM
A&P in training
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Dec 2008
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TcCobra13 View Post
have you received your HK 450 kit yet? I was thinking about ordering one myself but had a couple of concerns about have to mod the tail boom to get rotor housing to fit
What issue are you talking about?
ASTREA1 is offline Find More Posts by ASTREA1
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:00 AM
Seymour,TN
Joined Feb 2010
251 Posts
what i have heard about having to cut some of the tail boom to make the the rotor housing to fit,screws being too soft and rounding them off,missing parts and swash plate not moving right and sticking.just wondering if these issues have been fixed or did people just get unlucky and got damaged helis.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:42 AM
FPV Noob KD0VMK
United States, MO, Platte City
Joined Jun 2012
762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TcCobra13 View Post
what i have heard about having to cut some of the tail boom to make the the rotor housing to fit,screws being too soft and rounding them off,missing parts and swash plate not moving right and sticking.just wondering if these issues have been fixed or did people just get unlucky and got damaged helis.
I had none of those problems with my HK450.

I think it's mostly just luck of the draw. With every HK450 kit, I think you can count on replacing 2 parts due to bad manufacturing. You won't know what they are until you put the kit together. For me, it was the main rotor shaft (it was bent when new), and the rotor head block which was too loose and wobbled all the time (even after I squeezed it down with pliers).

They certainly have their issues, but for the price of an HK450 kit, you can afford to replace a couple of parts to make it fly, and still have a bunch of money left over.

As for the screws, I suggest having a 1.5mm hex and a 1/16" hex. The 1/16" is just slightly larger for those screws heads that are a little too big to begin with. I haven't noticed they are any softer than any other small screws.
Chubbs is online now Find More Posts by Chubbs
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:45 PM
Seymour,TN
Joined Feb 2010
251 Posts
ok thanks for the info
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2013, 01:33 PM
Seymour,TN
Joined Feb 2010
251 Posts
i'm finally starting my build thought i had the right sized crew drive for the job but it too small what size do i need to get?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2013, 04:44 AM
Joined Sep 2013
200 Posts
I believe its a 2mm hex. Align have great sets pretty cheap to.

Ive built an hk450 gt and hkv2 and both been great kits with no mods needed. Yes the occasional part needs to be changed to align, I found the main gears were always warped and the tail drive gear was warped also. Other than that they flew for donks, crash and repair. Great helis for getting into the hobby.
Diggiz is offline Find More Posts by Diggiz
Old Sep 19, 2013, 11:38 AM
Seymour,TN
Joined Feb 2010
251 Posts
do you know what size the phillips heads are?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2013, 09:38 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
I had none of those problems with my HK450.

I think it's mostly just luck of the draw. With every HK450 kit, I think you can count on replacing 2 parts due to bad manufacturing. You won't know what they are until you put the kit together. For me, it was the main rotor shaft (it was bent when new), and the rotor head block which was too loose and wobbled all the time (even after I squeezed it down with pliers).

They certainly have their issues, but for the price of an HK450 kit, you can afford to replace a couple of parts to make it fly, and still have a bunch of money left over.

As for the screws, I suggest having a 1.5mm hex and a 1/16" hex. The 1/16" is just slightly larger for those screws heads that are a little too big to begin with. I haven't noticed they are any softer than any other small screws.

I had no problems or missing parts with mine either. In fact, for the price it's unbeatable. I'm going to order another one. The Tarot kit is supposed to be a little better but it also costs almost twice as much.
Pa flyer is offline Find More Posts by Pa flyer
Old Sep 27, 2013, 05:15 AM
Joined Sep 2013
200 Posts
I also have the Tarot 450 pro kit which compared to HK, Well they dont compare. Tarot was a very nice kit. But end of the day you get what you pay for. I had 2 HK 450 which did me well, and for my first heli was great. But moving on and experience you notice the difference in a good quality heli.
If I started over again I would still buy an HK, was cheap and with the turnigy 9x cost me $150. Great deal to get in the heli hobby.
Diggiz is offline Find More Posts by Diggiz
Old Oct 12, 2013, 06:24 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,119 Posts
I got the HK 450Pro V2 FBL (torque tube) start of the year and been flying it a lot. This was also my first 'proper' heli after also failing miserably with a Honeybee years ago.

I was pleasantly surprised as to how easy the 450 was compared to the HoneyBee. To be more accurate 'easy' is maybe the wrong word because a CC heli is never 'easy' to master, but at least it's possible. Other than a few mechanical problems I've not really had a serious crash. But i have had a lot of mechanicals. The HK stuff wears out and breaks real quick and some of their servos just aren't up to it especially on the tail, I burned a couple before swapping to a genuine Align servo, no problems since.

Little by little I've upgraded my 450 to genuine Align components, only the frames, bearing blocks and tail boom are original HK!

If I had to do it again knowing what I do now, I'd have just got a genuine Align kit, but there again if I had to pay that money out in one hit back then I'd probably never have bought a heli in the first place. At least the bargain basement HK price got me into it.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer