SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 05, 2013, 03:03 PM
The Best There Is
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Mar 2013
5 Posts
Question
what would be the best beginner 3d foamie?

I've been wondering what would be the best 3d foamie to get as my first plane. I've already got good at flying in simulators and now want to have the real thing.

I dont want to spend too much money either.
rc superstar is offline Find More Posts by rc superstar
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2013, 04:45 PM
Y=C+I+G
cmdl's Avatar
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
9,023 Posts
foamie thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/3d-foamies-658/
fly a trainer first - champ, cub, etc.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2013, 04:50 PM
The Best There Is
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Mar 2013
5 Posts
I guess your right
rc superstar is offline Find More Posts by rc superstar
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2013, 07:15 PM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
A 3D EPP foamy is a great choice for those looking to start in 3D. They can be built lightweight to fly nice and slow. Not to mention they're tough and easy to fix.

However like all 3D planes they have a lot of thrust and very large control surfaces. The plane will not right itself like a trainer will and it will have twitchy controls, especially without a programmable transmitter. You'll have an easier time if you start with a nice trainer and there are plenty out there to choose from.

Check out my beginners guide for a list of beginner planes.

If you're interested in 3D and want to eventually fly a 3D foamy I'd recommend building one of the scratchbuild planes listed in my guide or putting together the ez-fly or blu-baby kits. It'll be good practice for when you build your foamy (most 3D foamies come in kit form) and the components typically used for those can easily be reused in a 3D foamy later on when you're ready. Just remember to take things slow and check as you go along to ensure nothing's crooked.
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2013, 07:19 PM
Registered User
chulian1819's Avatar
Medellín, Colombia
Joined Apr 2010
333 Posts
any with EPP
chulian1819 is offline Find More Posts by chulian1819
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2013, 08:47 PM
If it spins, wear it.
whirlcap's Avatar
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,259 Posts
All good answers...

I was here 2 years ago. Tried the direct route and it was frustrating. Went back to basics, bought a Hobby Zone Champ, then a aileron trainer and after mastering that, went back to 3D EPP foamy's. Was finally able to fly 3D then. A simulator will help provided your using a RC type controller but it is still far from "real". I can invert a heli on a sim... wouldn't even think about trying it on a real RC one.

Nobody wants to hear it but the advice given it good advice. You can learn on your own with the right steps. The Champ is a great place to start.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2013, 09:14 PM
Registered User
ForsheeMS's Avatar
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
736 Posts
I started flying RC back in July. First ever plane was an Ember 2, then moved to a UM T-28 within a few weeks. From there it was the UMX Sbach, Beast, and Edge 540QQ. Just recently purchased the RF 6.5 simulator and a Twisted Hobbys Crack Yak.

With no 3D experience it took me a few hours practicing on the sim and then I was able to hover the Crack Yak consistantly. Main thing is don't get too far over your head starting out and take your time. I feel a big part of learning is understanding the basic principles of flight which is what the trainers are for.
ForsheeMS is online now Find More Posts by ForsheeMS
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2013, 03:42 PM
The Best There Is
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Mar 2013
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
A 3D EPP foamy is a great choice for those looking to start in 3D. They can be built lightweight to fly nice and slow. Not to mention they're tough and easy to fix.

However like all 3D planes they have a lot of thrust and very large control surfaces. The plane will not right itself like a trainer will and it will have twitchy controls, especially without a programmable transmitter. You'll have an easier time if you start with a nice trainer and there are plenty out there to choose from.

Check out my beginners guide for a list of beginner planes.

If you're interested in 3D and want to eventually fly a 3D foamy I'd recommend building one of the scratchbuild planes listed in my guide or putting together the ez-fly or blu-baby kits. It'll be good practice for when you build your foamy (most 3D foamies come in kit form) and the components typically used for those can easily be reused in a 3D foamy later on when you're ready. Just remember to take things slow and check as you go along to ensure nothing's crooked.
Thanks I'll look into your guide.
rc superstar is offline Find More Posts by rc superstar
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2013, 07:35 AM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2010
4,058 Posts
My suggestion would be the Hacker Super Zoom and I am sure there are numerous other brands that have similar planes. This one has fully airfoiled wings so flies more like a regular plane. It's EPP and super tough. The only thing I have not played with enough to recommend is just how low to set the control surface max movement, but I suspicion it would need to be very very small - probably less than 1/4" to start. I'm just past beginner stage myself and wish I had bought this one way before I did. I have learned more with it than all my trainers and sim combined. There is a new thread in the beginner's section started by someone with 40+ years experience that offers a good take on this approach of using a epp 3d plane for starters. These things fly so slow and are super stable to allow you plenty of time to think but with enough power and control authority to get out of a bind. If at all possible it would be ideal to have someone experienced set the plane up by experimentation to put the max movement of control surfaces at at the bare minimum that still allows enough to keep out of trouble and with plenty of expo to smooth things out. Then as you progress, you can start adding more movement when you are ready clear up to full 3d capability. One of these and a cheap hot melt glue gun and some low temp glue should keep you flying for years.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2013, 04:48 PM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc superstar View Post
Thanks I'll look into your guide.
You're welcome, good luck with your first plane.
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 01, 2014, 08:48 AM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2011
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
All good answers...

I was here 2 years ago. Tried the direct route and it was frustrating. Went back to basics, bought a Hobby Zone Champ, then a aileron trainer and after mastering that, went back to 3D EPP foamy's. Was finally able to fly 3D then. A simulator will help provided your using a RC type controller but it is still far from "real". I can invert a heli on a sim... wouldn't even think about trying it on a real RC one.

Nobody wants to hear it but the advice given it good advice. You can learn on your own with the right steps. The Champ is a great place to start.
While I agree that it is possible to learn to fly on one's own, from my many years of experience, progression is much slower and most who go that route don't usually stay in the hobby for very long.

Simulators are useful only to an extent and can be used as a very basic learning tool if coupled with a computer Tx, however is NO substitute for a hands on learning experience with real RC aircraft.

You WILL learn faster and gain MORE experience in ALL facets of the hobby when you are physically with likeminded people who can offer you hands on advise and instruction. An RC club environment is the best place to start for any RC beginner....... It will save you LOTS on money in the long run and more than likely keep you interested in the hobby for a much longer time.
There's way more in this hobby to learn from others, than just flying!
that's my 2 cents worth!

Good Luck!
stryker2 is offline Find More Posts by stryker2
Last edited by stryker2; Nov 01, 2014 at 09:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 01, 2014, 11:37 AM
micro- modding madman
United States, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Aug 2014
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stryker2 View Post
While I agree that it is possible to learn to fly on one's own, from my many years of experience, progression is much slower and most who go that route don't usually stay in the hobby for very long.

Simulators are useful only to an extent and can be used as a very basic learning tool if coupled with a computer Tx, however is NO substitute for a hands on learning experience with real RC aircraft.

You WILL learn faster and gain MORE experience in ALL facets of the hobby when you are physically with likeminded people who can offer you hands on advise and instruction. An RC club environment is the best place to start for any RC beginner....... It will save you LOTS on money in the long run and more than likely keep you interested in the hobby for a much longer time.
There's way more in this hobby to learn from others, than just flying!
that's my 2 cents worth!

Good Luck!
I think the OP may have already bought the plane...
Julezwatts is online now Find More Posts by Julezwatts
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 09, 2014, 02:37 AM
Registered User
Joined May 2007
108 Posts
Also, don't think of your trainer as something to get through. The Champ, for example, is a ton of fun. I have bigger and "better" planes, but I always seem to come back to it. Crash it, fix it, mod it, it does it all.
K4RT80Y is offline Find More Posts by K4RT80Y
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Gone fishin! LonB 3D Foamies 19 Mar 18, 2013 11:59 PM
Discussion Best beginner foamy Gusti..Iceland Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 14 Jan 17, 2013 12:14 PM
Discussion What would be the better powerplant? SohoR1 Fuel Plane Talk 3 Jan 02, 2013 01:32 PM
Help! What Would Be Best supercheap 3d plane for newby Darkdevil_725 Sport Planes 5 Feb 05, 2006 11:00 AM
What would be best for the beginner mel47172 Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 5 Jul 04, 2005 11:58 PM