SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:50 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
12,002 Posts
Question
Can someone help me with Benedini sound system, please?

I've just bought a Benedini sound system -- TBS Mini sound board, 2x40W amplifier, and 2x 4" speaker. The system is pre-loaded with a Fokker D7 engine sound, as requested.

My problem is I can't get it to run, and I'm confused by some of the instructions. When I try to teach the sound unit my throttle stick positions, as per the instruction leaflet, it seems to go through the correct process, except the green light reverts to fast flashing after I've done the full-throttle position and got the three beeps.

What I've done is connect it up exactly as shown in the leaflet that came with it -- sound board LS plug to amplifier, sound board PROP1 plug to receiver throttle channel, sound board second PROP1 plug to ESC, and amplifier powered by its own 3S A123 pack.

I want to have engine noise activated by throttle stick, and machine gun activated by a switch. The leaflet says my sound board is in "direct soundselection (Prop2)" mode. Does that mean, in fact, that my throttle connection should be in PROP2 to make it work? (The other options in the leaflet, unchecked in my case, are "encoder (Prop3)" and "indirect soundselection (Prop3)"; no mention of Prop1, where the leaflet shows the receiver throttle connection.)

I've emailed the vendor, but no reply yet, even though he was very quick to reply when I was ordering

So, can anyone give me a step-by-step guide how they've got their system working, please?
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:08 AM
Joined Jul 2004
12,002 Posts
To be fair to Thomas Benedini, he's responded to my email today. Seems like I have to connect a 3-position switched channel from my receiver to PROP2, as well as the throttle channel to PROP1. I'll be trying it out tomorrow when I can get into the workshop.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:21 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,761 Posts
I found a fairly big thread on the Benedini if it helps with any other problems -

Any advice on installing Benedini TBS Mini in 1.4m warbirds would be great
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:32 PM
Joined Jul 2004
12,002 Posts
Thanks, eflightray. I don't know why I didn't find that when I searched on "benedini". Having read it, all the posts relate to systems that are already working -- most of the discussion is about speakers and their installation.

Anyway, the thread is reasonably current, so I'll post a question on it if I have no luck tomorrow.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:51 PM
Joined Jul 2004
12,002 Posts
The system is working -- magnificent Fokker sound

The solution was simple. I had to connect a receiver switched channel to the sound unit, in addition to the throttle channel, to activate the sound ... even though the manual says the second connection is "optional".
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:49 AM
Making a Dynam Razorback Snafu
Joined Apr 2006
4,588 Posts
I lost all sound when trying to modify the volume on the "parameters" tab of the provided software. I'm really puzzled.

I just get 4 beeps and the led keeps flashing fast
Tartago is online now Find More Posts by Tartago
Last edited by Tartago; Feb 03, 2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:20 PM
Joined Jul 2004
12,002 Posts
Sorry, I can't help you. I don't have the PC interface cable so I'm just using the sound that was programmed in when I ordered it.

Maybe you should check out the long thread that eflightray referenced in post #3
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:44 AM
Making a Dynam Razorback Snafu
Joined Apr 2006
4,588 Posts
Don't worry. Thomas sent me a new set of parameters to upload. Hopefully it will solve it.
Tartago is online now Find More Posts by Tartago