SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 04, 2012, 12:09 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,556 Posts
Good show DW! Looking forward to seeing some photos.
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2012, 07:14 PM
Yosef Sailor
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2011
516 Posts
In need of a photo.

All, I am in need of a photo of the bottom of the hull of a Seawind at the keel slot insert area. I have started the build process and I am to the point of installing the insert into the keel slot hole in the bottom of the hull and when I dry fit mine, I see a few void areas between the part and the hull of the boat.

I did paint the hull and the inside area of the keel slot, not sure if that would make a difference of not or if the blue tube when screwed in will take up some of the voids.

I am a visual person, so if anyone would do me a favor and take a close up photo of that area and post it I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
DW
dwatson is offline Find More Posts by dwatson
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:25 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,556 Posts
DW
John posted a few pictures on the other thread for you.
Boomer
Old Feb 19, 2012, 08:02 PM
Yosef Sailor
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2011
516 Posts
Thanks to crappy weather and fact I couldn't sleep, I was in my garage working on my Seawind at 3:30 am. I did get the mast and mast boom built and the main sail installed.

Thanks to my friends Chidago and Boomer, they forwarded me some photos on the keel insert and I was able to get that epoxied in place and started sanding the excess epoxy today.

Will try to finish the sanding, prime it and put a couple coats of white on the area I sanded tomorrow.

Slowly but surely we are getting closer.

DW
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:17 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,556 Posts
Here is a photo of my Seawind just after receiving it's basic color coat. My friend Chidago is going to finish the hull giving it a peal finish and metallic blue deck.

He has advance skills in these and many other areas, offered to put the finishing touches on it.

Most of my hobbies materials have been packaged for our pending move next month and frankly, I haven't the time to devote to this project. It will turn out better with John's hands on it.

More photos as the process moves forward.

Boomer
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:53 AM
Yosef Sailor
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2011
516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Here is a photo of my Seawind just after receiving it's basic color coat. My friend Chidago is going to finish the hull giving it a peal finish and metallic blue deck.

He has advance skills in these and many other areas, offered to put the finishing touches on it.

Most of my hobbies materials have been packaged for our pending move next month and frankly, I haven't the time to devote to this project. It will turn out better with John's hands on it.

More photos as the process moves forward.

Boomer
Boomer,

I like the color on the main boom, what paint did you use? Rattle can or airbrush?

What prep work was done to get it to adhere properly?

Looking good. I hope to have mine ready for some serious paint for the weekend. I m going to finish shanding and prime it today at lunch time and try to hit it with some more white that way it has all week to cure.

This weekend, if I can pull it off, I am going to mask it off and hit it with a serious paint job that I was inspired by the ocean races.

I am thinking about incorporating my companies logo below to both sides and print out some sponsorship decals and apply them to not only the hull, but the main boom and sails.

I am going to phone a couple of local sign companies today and see what they would charge me to print out stencil material.

I have some frisket that I can use on the hull, I just have to get the sizing down and print it out and use an xacto knife to cut it.

I am going to have a friend of mine mix up some the colors in a solvent based ink form that is used in flexible packaging printing and I will shoot the sails with my spray gun then top coat them. I don't know how the stock sails will react, but if I do it in light coats and then apply a varnish, it should work. One concern is I don't want the sails to become stiff and brittle like regular paint may do. That is why I am leaning toward the printing inks. I figure if it sticks to BOPP, PP and other films, it should stick to stock Seawind sail material.

Will keep you in the loop.

Below is a copy of the logo I will use and will wrap the blue around the nose of the boat and the red will all the way around.

Have a great week and thanks again for all your input.

DW
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:21 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,556 Posts
DW
I liked the color - looks like it was anodized. It is a Kryoln X Metals brand rattle can.
Blue Anodized 2301

No special prep - just cleaned all the surfaces with a pro-level prep paint cleaner.

Spray very light coats, until the desired color and coverage is archived. Believe it or not, the hatch cover in the previous picture is the same paint but over a white base color and many more coats. The mast and booms are of course aluminum and will yield a different result.

I was amazed at how well it turned out! I got it at Wally World (Wal-mart)
Boomer
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:46 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,556 Posts
David

I know of a person on the forum that makes custom decals - here is her contact info. http://www.callie-graphics.com/

allie has done a lot of the cool graphics seen on many of the boats on the forum.

Rick
Last edited by Boomer1; Feb 20, 2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 04:25 PM
Age quod agis
Joined Sep 2007
1,434 Posts
Looking good Rick.
SD RC Boater is offline Find More Posts by SD RC Boater
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:07 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Believe it or not, the hatch cover in the previous picture is the same paint but over a white base color and many more coats. The mast and booms are of course aluminum and will yield a different result.
Boomer:

If you use a light coat of silver as the primer on the plastic parts they will look closer to what the boom looks like.

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Feb 24, 2012, 09:26 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,556 Posts
FC
You are correct. Thus the difference in how the color look on the hatch and mast and booms. It really takes some patients to get the color you want. I always want to cover everything in the first coat.

This particular paint doesn't lend itself to that approach.

Boomer
Old Feb 26, 2012, 06:58 PM
Yosef Sailor
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2011
516 Posts
Well, Not much accomplished on the Seawind build this weekend. I was able to apply a few more coats of base white to the top and bottom of the hull since installing the keel insert, sanding the epoxy and priming it.

Back to gloss white.

I did get the rudder and steering wheel shafts painted, main threaded on the mast and rigged at the top.

I am traveling this week so the base white will have time to cure before the color is applied later in the week. I will be printing a stencil on frisket and using an xacto to cut everything out.

I am also going to try to add some fine adjustments to my main boom and jib boom later in the week.

Will post photos next week.

DW
Old Mar 03, 2012, 10:45 AM
Yosef Sailor
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2011
516 Posts
I got both of my mast's built and sails installed. The Stockmaritime custom sails are larger than the stock Seawind sails. Tough getting the chord threaded but after some manipulation, I threaded the main. The jib is wider so I purchased an aluminum tube that i will cut, drill and install extra rigging hardware I had.

Will install class letter and numbers next and drill new holes for rigging adjustments.

DW
Old Mar 09, 2012, 03:36 PM
Joined Aug 2009
49 Posts
We're having our first seawind/victoria race day on saturday. youre more than welcome to come up to oak hollow lake if youre boat is done
stevezero is offline Find More Posts by stevezero
Old Mar 10, 2012, 09:56 PM
Yosef Sailor
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2011
516 Posts
Well, finally got the plexi cut, holes drilled and srew inserts for my waterproof hatch installed in the hull. I will need to order some closed cell foam from McMaster Carr this week and that will be completed. I am planning on airbrushing the underneath of the plexi in a faux carbon fiber pattern.

Waiting on my stencils to be cut from a local sign company so I can complete the paint job. I touched up the white base coat and will wet sand it again to smooth it and prep for color.

Slowly getting it done.

DW