Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,413 Posts
Discussion
Beautiful Lightning Clipper by David Edwards

Some photos of David Edwards'Clippership Lightning here:

http://www.srcmbc.org.uk/photo_galle...quare%20Rigger

Looks like she is making about 1pt to windward, which would be about right, I think, for a model with shrouds and backstays. In another photo, the main course foot is curved nicely to clear the shrouds; I can't make out what yard crane arrangement Mr. Edwards used.

Very pretty, to be sure, reminds me of a Hugh Knollys painting (series of clippers prints, purchased as a set) I once hung in my bedroom as a kid.
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Last edited by Brooks; Nov 18, 2011 at 05:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2011, 05:13 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
Very pretty, to be sure...
Indeed!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Nov 18, 2011, 11:42 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,413 Posts
Some rigging details, most easily discerned on the "higher resolution images":

1. The jibs are non-overlapping, or have a very slight overlap at the clew. The jib sheets lead to the next inner forestay, where they are made off (tied). They do not appear to be under RC control. But, I think it would be possible to extend the sheets to a servo, using bullseyes on the foremast stays. Photo 22.jpg = DSC04042.jpg

2. The yard cranes appear to be similar to DanL's latest version, namely they extend forward from the mast, but the hinge is on the mast (rather than on the yard). This would explain how the builder achieved such excellent yard swing.
Photo 22.jpg

3. As rigged for the photos, all yards must swivel together, ie there is no separation of foremast yard braces from main+mizzen yard braces. The rc braces appear to be white cord leading up aft of the foremast, then aft to the main course yard. Various photos show the yards on foremast & mizzen mast tied to the mainmast yards.

For one of his other squareriggers (Salamis), Mr. Edwards comments: "Model square-riggers are fun to sail but difficult to tack, they need plenty of sea room!" I would expect, based on sailing my Pamir and Aldebaran, that tacking of his models would be much easier if the foremast braces were separate from the main+mizzen braces.

4. I can see a steel rod leading down through the deck, presumably to hold on the lead portion of the keel. The rod is just fore of the mainmast.

5. The Lightning appears to use chain alone for staying the bowsprit. Mr. Edwards must have a source of strong chain, perhaps with welded links. I doubt anything of lesser quality would stand up to the loads. As a builder of at least 4 squareriggers, Mr. Edwards must certainly understand the strength requirements of model rigging :-).

The high resolution photos show a superb craftsman at work. Well Done Mr. Edwards!
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Last edited by Brooks; Nov 19, 2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:20 AM
Joined Oct 2004
95 Posts
A video was made with camera on board the David Edwards clipper.

A Voyage on Salamis (3 min 2 sec)
Bill Zebb is offline Find More Posts by Bill Zebb
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:31 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
Great video. That deck has good drainage.
Jpop Andrew is offline Find More Posts by Jpop Andrew
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:51 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,357 Posts
i like the vang he uses on the foot of his courses
The scene where he`s close hauled on the port tack and the barque comes hauling past on the opposit tack is awesome
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Nov 01, 2012, 04:42 PM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,685 Posts
I like the horse and buggy on shore
JerryTodd is online now Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:43 PM
Joined Oct 2004
95 Posts
Here are some pics I received from Nev Wade in the UK. He's at barque22@hotmail.com. They show his square rigger Penang racing against a Bluenose schooner on a windy day. He's a prolific builder of RC square riggers with many articles published in Marine Models International.
Bill Zebb is offline Find More Posts by Bill Zebb
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:48 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,357 Posts
i`ve been in Contact with Neville via e-mail quite a bit, very nice and helpful guy, and probably the most actual sea time of any rc square rig skipper love his models!
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber