SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 09, 2012, 05:59 PM
JHR
Joined Sep 2006
48 Posts
Landing Wheel Addition

Hello, everyone:
In past posts I read of adding a landing wheel to this glider. Has anyone done this? If you have, please post some pics as I would like to do that myself. Thanks in advance.

JHR
JHR is offline Find More Posts by JHR
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2012, 01:24 AM
Thornleigh - 20k N of Sydney,N.S.W.,AUSTRALIA
Joined Aug 2001
746 Posts
Rewrite with quote
Little Black Duck is offline Find More Posts by Little Black Duck
Last edited by Little Black Duck; Sep 12, 2012 at 01:26 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 01:25 AM
Joined Aug 2001
746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaoleboyRC View Post
Always good to look before you quack!!

HaoleboyRC
Better than tweeting
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:38 AM
United Kingdom, England, Ruislip
Joined Mar 2007
110 Posts
Hiya, has anybody come up with a solution to the rubbish rudder? The amount of rudder which extends below the last hinge is unacceptable imho and in effect causes almost all rudder movement to have null effect. I can barely see the tail wag with full rudder deflection on my model.

I was thinking of putty a lump of spruce or maybe balsa in the end of the fuselage and then adding a normal hinge into that.

r.
rk295 is offline Find More Posts by rk295
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:14 AM
Joined Aug 2001
746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk295 View Post
Hiya, has anybody come up with a solution to the rubbish rudder? The amount of rudder which extends below the last hinge is unacceptable imho and in effect causes almost all rudder movement to have null effect. I can barely see the tail wag with full rudder deflection on my model.

I was thinking of putty a lump of spruce or maybe balsa in the end of the fuselage and then adding a normal hinge into that.

r.
I'll make another attempt to attach some photos of what I did to mine, which has corrected this obvious fault in the P2K's rudder hinge ... Be a little patient, as although I had succes with my motor mount mod photos posted a while ago, I had problems posting the hinge mods photos.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:38 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
795 Posts
OH BABY!!!!! Everyone do yourselves a favor and get the new 808 #16 with the fish eye wide angle lens! I've had it for about a month now and tried it for the first time on one of my planes - my Phoenix Evolution. Wow!

It was a great evening to fly! The video from my 808 #16 (fish eye lens) is amazing! This is no doubt the best little cheap camera to record flights. Freaking awesome!!!!

And that new motor and prop I put in my glider keeps on going with no problems at all.

One thing though - when I give my glider lots of throttle, it wants to point up quickly and I have to add down elevator. How can I fix this? More weight in the nose? Change the angle of the motor? Add a mix to add down elevator when I give it more throttle? I really don't want to take the motor out and try to change the angle. It's in there good and tight I really don't want to mess with that part. Would adding a mix of down elevator when I give it throttle help?

Hobbypartz sent my LED lights a few days ago. I can't wait to get this glider up at night with those lights!

Also flew my new pop wing for the first time. That's going to be fun to fly too this fall! But I crashed my little Zero and the fuselage snapped in two.

I swear, that Phoenix glider is one sweet glider. Who wants a $200 Radian when you can get an awesome glider for $80.00 or so?

I put my glider over a road and cut the throttle and that thing booked right along. It looked like it could keep up with the pick up trucks going down the road. Freaking amazing tonight!
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:06 PM
Joined Aug 2001
746 Posts
Rudder Hinge Mods

Rudder Hinge Mods for my P2K
Photo 1 - 12mm (1/2") slot for rudder post cut in rear of tailplane platform.

Photo 2 - Balsa Hinge Post 2plys of 6mm (1/4") hard balsa glued together (didn't have a scrap piece of 1/2" )

Photo 3 - Hinge post sanded to shape to be a neat push fit right down to the bottom of the fuselage to make contact to both sides and the bottom.
When satisfied with the fit, this is glued in place with Contact Cement, which works very well if not allowed to dry out completely, but left to cure for several hours - I left mine overnight.

It is one, possibly the only, type of glue that does work reasonably well with this plastic fuselage, although I would not use it in a high stress area.

Photo 4 - Shows my original and later corrected ... more on this later ... rudder post in place, with the hole for the pivot hinge - (Great Planes have them, or your LHS may) The original rear cooling hole is shown covered over here, but will need to be drilled out for a cooling air exit.
I made an initial error, by cutting away the rear of the fuselage as well. Cutting away the rear of the fuselage is unnecessary.
My error was corrected by adding a piece of 1.5mm(1/16") ply to the now fitted balsa rudder post bonded in place with Cyano. You can see the glue line around this added piece.

Photo 5 - Shows the type of hinge used, under the modified version already fitted into the rudder.
It shows one shortened arm for insertion in the rudder post, but with the other full length arm already push fitted into the rudder - no predrilling is required to do this in the ultra soft rudder foam material used ... it's no wonder it flexes before a hinge is retro-fitted, the rudder having no structural integrity until well above the tailplane.

Photo 6 - The whole tail assembly fitted, as designed as a unit, with the shortened,stub arm of the pivot hinge inserted in the hole in the rear of the fuselage and into the new rudder post.
The pivot hinge arm that is inserted into the fuselage has to be shortened just to make assembly of the tailplane and fin/rudder possible, because the tailplane's cross fuselage joining rod, makes assembly difficult at the best of times. It may be a good idea to vertically elongate the hole in the rudder post a little to make insertion of the hinge pin a litlle easier.

Have to thank Jeebs77 here, who got my little grey cells working on this mod.
Also to do some changes to the under-wing servo tray too ... keep you posted on that one

Daffy
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:08 PM
Joined Aug 2001
746 Posts
Bu**ger ... lost the photos ... again. Will try again in a new post.
Daffy
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:16 PM
Joined Aug 2001
746 Posts
OK ... now we have photos to cross refer to my earlier post + the cuss one ...
Sorry for the mess up ... Dunno what happened, but the phots didn't attach!
Daffy ...
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:00 AM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
795 Posts
It doesn't look sharp on youtube because I rendered it in low quality so I could upload it fast. But at full quality/resolution it offers a great view.

Phoenix Evolution 1.6m glider with new 808 #16 Wide Angle Lens (2 min 29 sec)
Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:50 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
795 Posts
My first LEDs came today. I connected them to a 2 cell and it was OK. Then I tried a 3 cell and wow, they really pop! I received green, purple, and red. I didn't think the weight would be so light but they are light. It's going to be fun putting them on my glider. Can't get to it till Monday or so though.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:45 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Black Duck View Post
OK ... now we have photos to cross refer to my earlier post + the cuss one ...
Sorry for the mess up ... Dunno what happened, but the phots didn't attach!
Daffy ...
Looks well done but be carefull... that hole in the rear is there to let hot air from the motor exit ..

I hinged my rudder too and added a third hinge down there:

JLT_GTI is online now Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ZMR 250 CloneOut FPV
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:05 PM
Joined Aug 2001
746 Posts
You are quite right JLT, but if you read the Photo 4 description, you will see that I did advise that the cooling hole should be drilled out in TE stern post.
Actually any exit hole for cooling air should really be twice the size of the inlet vents, but any outlet is better than none.
I intend cutting another elongated hole in the belly under the wing to increase the exit vent area.
Your bottom hinge rudder mod. is a good one though, especially highlighting the need for an exit vent for cooling air.
Daffy.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:40 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Black Duck View Post
Your bottom hinge rudder mod. is a good one though, especially highlighting the need for an exit vent for cooling air.
Daffy.
Well not so good.. the hinge is a bit of sideways inside the fuselage so it surelly is blocking some of the airflow going out.. and we will see if that hinge glued to the nylon fuse holds (its a nylon hinge too.. cant both be fused together or something?)..

maybe doing couple of holes in the bottom of the tail?
JLT_GTI is online now Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ZMR 250 CloneOut FPV
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:28 AM
Joined Aug 2001
746 Posts
I reckon you're right mate. The underside of the fuselage at the back end has a slot in the underside mounting bracket for the tail-assembly which could be opened up through to the inside of the fuselage to give an additional exit for cooling air.
I also think that you'd be able to get away with another exit hole,or twocut in the underside of the fuselage under the wing, without compromising fuselage strength.
Just my thoughts.
Daffy.