Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 17, 2007, 06:27 PM
Joined Oct 2004
836 Posts
Discussion
AMA flying site template for Google Earth?

My club is currently looking for a new flying site, and naturally, Google Earth is a big part of it. I was wondering if anyone has a template of the "standard" AMA field in .dae format? It would be great to place over proposed sites to see how well everything would fit.
The recommended specs can be seen here.
http://www.modelaircraft.org/PDF-files/706.pdf
rob10000 is offline Find More Posts by rob10000
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2007, 09:41 AM
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2006
1,647 Posts
Look into garbage dumps. The EPA has mandated lots of changes that reduce the odor from the land fills, and if you can convince one to do it, fly off the top of it. Generally, people do not want live close to land fills for obvious reasons, so that factor of bnotherfing poeple goes away. Municipalities can be coereced into supporting you when you play the Boy Scout, Girl Scout, Soccer Club, etc. card on them. That is, you are just as good as those organizations and deserve the same support from the city. The city often, since it has a large contract with the trash haulers, if not trash haulers themselves, can pressure the garbage people to cooperate. And you sell to the garbarge people that they are doing a civil thing and can use that factor in their efforts with EPA/DEQs and the like regulating organizations.

We are using IESI and they have at least two sites with AMA clubs in operation. The lease in our case was $1.00 per six months or $2.00 per year. We had to give them a list of members and tightly regulate entrance to the site. But it worked.

It also worked in Arizona while I was there. But the site was moved at the county's request to a better location. In that case, the annual rent was about $50.00 or the cost of the paper work and we had five year lease with a renewable clause for five more years.

And AMA will make you up a brochure to use with the city governments. They will be concerned about insurance, but member ship in AMA provides sufficient insurance coverage.

Good luck,

Cheers,

Chip
Chip01 is offline Find More Posts by Chip01