HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2006, 03:24 AM
Berlin, Germany
Joined Mar 2002
316 Posts
Question
Huetter H-17 - from Cliff Charlesworth plan

Hello,

can anyone say something about the flight charactreristics of the 1:3 scale Huetter H-17 from Cliff Charlesworth plan? It has an aspect ratio of 10.2, which does not promise exciting performance. Has anyone build and flown it? Can I thermal with it - or does it fall like a stone?

I cant find the SSS site with the description of the model of the Huetter. What I found is only the documentation of the orginal.

Viktor
Viktor is offline Find More Posts by Viktor
Last edited by Viktor; Jan 18, 2006 at 06:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2006, 08:52 AM
MTT
I care about rising air !
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Feb 2002
2,004 Posts
The SSS site does not exist anymore, but there is anew site, where you can find all of the info which was available on the SSS site, and more :
Scale soaring UK

Michael
MTT is offline Find More Posts by MTT
Old Jan 18, 2006, 09:35 AM
Berlin, Germany
Joined Mar 2002
316 Posts
Thanks Michael,

Thanks for the link.

I have an opportiunity to buy a 3rd scale Hutter - very well build, but quite havy 5-5,5 kg. But Im a bit worry about flying charasteristics. It has a large fuse, short wings, thick wingsection...
So Im looking for guys who fly one.

Viktor
Old Jan 18, 2006, 01:34 PM
MTT
I care about rising air !
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Feb 2002
2,004 Posts
Viktor, sehe gerade, dass Du aus Berlin bist, dann koennen wir auch deutsch reden/schreiben....

Gruss, Michael
MTT is offline Find More Posts by MTT
Old Feb 09, 2006, 05:19 AM
Berlin, Germany
Joined Mar 2002
316 Posts
I bought the Htter

its 1:3 scale but it seems not to be build after after Cliffs plan. It has the orginal G 535 section with a thickness of 16%, over 100 dm2 of wing area and weight about 5kg. Looks a bit clumsy with a door on her back. Construction is plywood with nice cnc cutted ribs and balsa covered nosesection
Cant wait for better weather to tow her.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 07:03 AM
Queens, NY
Joined Mar 2004
530 Posts
How does it fly?

It is going to fly like a real one
Most accurate description would probably something like:
Gas Bag
Hay stock on the loose

Very entertaining though
With the gentle Pawnee on full flaps up front H-17 was bouncing like a can behind the "Just Married" limo hardly keeping up with slow pace of climbing.
ZM
Smyk is online now Find More Posts by Smyk
Old Feb 13, 2006, 08:30 AM
Berlin, Germany
Joined Mar 2002
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smyk
It is going to fly like a real one
fine, it seems like its a real scale plane - great ))

SMYK: thanks for the Elmira pictures. I made a lot of nice pictures of the BGA490 during the Grunau Baby meeting in Grunau (Jezow Sudecki in Poland) in 2004. Its a funny glider. It was like someone did a giant scale glider. But the 490 is painted, and I feel a bit uncomfortable as I think about painting the ply. On the the hand the dbox on the wings are made out of balsa and not ply so I dont want to peel them.
There are two important details I do not have among my pictres. I think I will change the linkage of the elevator. I think doing it the orginal way is simplier and will work better. The problem is: I have to cut out two service holes like on the big one, and try to do it through the holes. There is no access to the inner fuse - any openings.