HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:20 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,539 Posts
Build Log
Britkit Build Off April-Dec 2012 - FROG TARQUIN - FLYING PHOTOS ADDED!

Since lack of time precludes any chance of successfully completing my intended KK Stunt Queen R/C conversion, rather than end up with an uncompleted project I have decided to build an electric conversion of the simpler Frog Tarquin instead.

I had a Tarquin, back in "the day", but I lost my Frog 50 in the fly away of a Frog Zephyr before I could fly it, so it finished up being flown as a glider whilst I saved up for a replacement engine. However, I have always liked the design, and this new one will be for a BRC1811 outrunner and either rudder only or rudder/elevator control - to be decided.

As a start, for those not familiar with the model (it was one of the lesser known Frog kits), here is the plan, I shall be cutting out the bits today and will hopefully manage to complete the thing in the remaining 6 weeks or so.

Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sundancer; Feb 03, 2013 at 07:42 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:35 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,509 Posts
Being the Junior member around here, Frog flying models were a thing of the past in my youth - Veron and Keilkraft being just about the only 'pocket money' kits available. Hence many of the designs are new to me.

But I must say, that is a very nice looking aircraft indeed!!

Will you be nose- or pylon-mounting the motor (I'd nail it to the nose myself); and what's the wingspan?
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:18 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,539 Posts
Shame you missed out on Frog kits Colonel - they were "Rolls Royce" quality compared to the "Ford" of KK. This will be my sixth Frog model of the new era (Zephyr, Witch and Fairy in the original size, 2x scale-ups of the Tom Tit and Mamba), and there are still a lot more I would like to build one day - Powavan, Aerobat, Cirrus, Vixen, Centurion, Minx, Janus, Saturn, Jupiter etc etc....not to mention scale ups of the Junior and Senior series - should I live long enough. I also have a plan for a magnificent double size - 120" span - Prince sailplane which would be truly majestic.

Here is the spec as printed on the Tarquin plan: Span 35", length 25.75", wing area 162 sq. ins, weight 5.5 oz, wing loading 4.9 oz/sq ft, tail area 53 sq ins.

No, my motor is going in the pod, which will be a very sleek affair without a cylinder sticking up. I happen to quite like pod mounted motors, I had a Graupner Amigo with a detachable AM10 pod for years which was great fun. I never contemplated putting the motor in the nose, it would change the essential character of the model too much for me.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:02 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,728 Posts
Thats a really good looking design - looking forward to following along
owlsabie is online now Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:35 PM
United Kingdom, England, Essex
Joined Oct 2006
595 Posts
Very nice choice George
I've not seen this FROG model before - but for me, the lesser known models that rarely get built or mentioned are the ones I like the most! And this one certainly ticks the boxes!
I'll be watching with interest as always George!!
Mark
marksherlock is offline Find More Posts by marksherlock
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:04 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,270 Posts
Can not wait to see the progress!
It will be great looking plane George!
colibriguitars is offline Find More Posts by colibriguitars
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:27 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
618 Posts
Lovely looking design George, that plan looks like the Merv Buckmaster redraw, or is it original FROG?
kkphantom is offline Find More Posts by kkphantom
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:33 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,539 Posts
I think it may be the re-draw Gary as it has all the formers on it, which I don't recall as appearing on the kit plan, although I may be wrong, it was a LONG time ago when I built the first one!

Progress has been stalled by domestic imperatives but I still hope to get it done for the end date.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:41 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
618 Posts
You've got me going on the Nipper again George, I've been doing a bit during breaks and down time at work!
kkphantom is offline Find More Posts by kkphantom
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:22 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,539 Posts
That's great Gary, it is a model I always fancied but never got around to building, so I am particularly keen to see how your electric conversion works out.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:45 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,539 Posts
The seven day aeroplane????

Well, pressure of other things, including finishing and fitting out the new workshop facility prevented any progress on this model to the point where, as I posted in the Build Off Thread, I gave up all hope of finishing it a couple of weeks ago. However, last weekend I got to thinking "What a wimp - you often used to build two models a week back in the day, and that was during term time, now you're retired", in fact I'm pretty sure the original Tarquin was built in less than a week - admittedly it was built from a kit and was free-flight. So, on Christmas Eve, with the workshop now fully operational, I launched into the build and completed the fuselage structure. Then, of course, Christmas happened and I was required to play the host and do my share of cooking and entertaining the guests, which also involved imbibing quite a lot of falling down liquid, so as a result no building at all happened on Christmas Day and Boxing Day. However, as of now (9 p.m. on the 26th) I still have five full days, and, subject to anything else cropping up, I am still determined to have a good shot at finishing the thing by midnight next Monday, albeit it's unlikely to be flown by then!

Photos tomorrow when I hope to have the tailplane and at least one wing panel to show as well as the nearly finished fuselage.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:11 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,509 Posts
Spoken like a Gentleman, Sir!!!

Unfortunately, I came to the conclusion that I am a mouse rather than a man years ago.....
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:38 PM
Stockport, UK
Joined Sep 2001
458 Posts
Hmmm it's only 8:20pm and the rather nice merlot has just been polished off! Do I trust myself with a scalpel to work on the secret weapon that will bring about World Thermal Comp domination (well in sunny/soggy Stockport anyway) and follow Sundancers worthy example?

But wait just remembered the merlot was on a buy one and fall down one offer, hurrah!

Thermal domination will have to wait.... It is Xmas after all!

Looking forward to seeing the pics, this is a very pretty FROG. No that isn't the Merlot talking either.
Cheers
Ian
Ian Dale is offline Find More Posts by Ian Dale
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:51 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,539 Posts
Quite right Ian to take advantage of the BOGOF wine whilst you can - I hear that this Government scheme to set a minimum price per unit of alcohol will scupper such offers - unless the supermarkets manage to devise a way round it. I would find it intensely annoying if I had to pay extra for my wine just to (supposedly) prevent some brain-dead spotty youth from getting off his skull on cut-price lager and alcopops. Fortunately there isn't much chance of that happening here, the wine producers would wheel out Madame Le Guillotine and call for M. Hollande's head!

Season's greetings and best wishes to you, your lady wife and the kids.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:53 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,452 Posts
Well done Sundancer, showing us all "how we should really do it". I could almost feel a twinge of guilt over my failure to 'digitas extractum' on this build-off, but I still have high hopes over the Britplan '13 buildathon.......

Gordon
GeeW is offline Find More Posts by GeeW