HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2012, 06:08 PM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by traxx de maxx View Post
the motor has a max lipo of 2s though.
The reedy 3300kv motor? Or the 17 turn Hpi motor that came out of the rs4? Which one are you refering to?
jsarwar469 is offline Find More Posts by jsarwar469
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2012, 02:28 AM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
I actually picked up a traxxas velineon brushless system...it has the vxl3s esc and a 3500 kv motor...I'm.having a. Problem instaling the pinion gear..it seems like all the ones I have are too tight to slide on to the motor knob...is this how its supposd to be or do I need to buy traxxas gears?
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:00 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,819 Posts
The VXL motor is a standard 1/8" shaft as far as I know, the gear should fit fine. Does it fit on easier with the set screw right out?
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:50 AM
uk
Joined Nov 2010
413 Posts
castle sct esc with a 1406-1y 6900kv motor
that one.
which one do you have?.
traxx de maxx is offline Find More Posts by traxx de maxx
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:41 PM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
The VXL motor is a standard 1/8" shaft as far as I know, the gear should fit fine. Does it fit on easier with the set screw right out?
Oh I see. Well all my motors are 1/10 Nd so are gears. So is have to buy pinion gear for 1/8.

No even without the set screw it only slides down a little after the it is dead stuck. I didn't want to use a tool to force it in thinking I might damage the motor.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:22 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,819 Posts
Nono... 1/8 inch, not 1/8th scale. Almost every 1/10th scale motor has a 1/8" shaft (3.17mm), some of the more powerful ones are 5mm though.

The traxxas is defnitely not 5mm, it's the standard 1/8". I would try cleaning out the pinion with a 1/8" drill bit carefully to see if it's gunked up inside.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 02:31 AM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
Yea I had to file the shaft lightly for it to fit. I'm reading the manual right now to see what kind of adjustments I need to make. I'm on my phone so its a little hard my computers powersupply died...really hoping it didnt take anything else out with it..anyways, Ran the truck it today for the first time and damn it is so strong . My rustler does backflips.

I'm running a 24t pinion...but I'm thinking about getting a 27+ pinion because the truck at this point ia very very torqy. What do you guys think is the best size pinion gear for this setup? It has a 86t spur
Old Apr 23, 2012, 02:56 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,819 Posts
Before you go nuts and overheat another motor/esc, read the gearing charts traxxas has available. Don't try to control torque by running a bigger pinion, electric motors make the most torque at 0 rpm, and will try to draw as much current as they can to spin.

Are you running it on 2s or 3s? That'll make a difference in your gearing choice too.

According to the gearing chart you have room to breathe with a lipo, but base it off of temperature you're seeing, not trying to control torque or what people say *should* work.

http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...X_manual_0.pdf
Old Apr 24, 2012, 01:11 AM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
Before you go nuts and overheat another motor/esc, read the gearing charts traxxas has available. Don't try to control torque by running a bigger pinion, electric motors make the most torque at 0 rpm, and will try to draw as much current as they can to spin.

Are you running it on 2s or 3s? That'll make a difference in your gearing choice too.

According to the gearing chart you have room to breathe with a lipo, but base it off of temperature you're seeing, not trying to control torque or what people say *should* work.

http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...X_manual_0.pdf
Well the reason why I went with the 27t pinion is because the stock rustlers shipped with a 23t installed but also included a 28t pinion if you wanted your truck to go 35+ mph. So i thought 27 might not be pushing it. Honestly I have not yet to press the throttle all the way not once yet...and thats how fast it is....since I'm using a 3s I decided to run it at "training mode" which only provides 50% power to forward and reverse and it still does wheelies even with a 27T pinion. I'm mostly running it at training mode as it seems just about perfect speed for me. I dont have something to clock the speed at but I'll be making a video pretty soon and post it up here to show you guys. Im pretty sure its going 35mph, if not more at training mode (50% power).....and i really cant test the speed at 100% pwr because its too easy to lose control...heck i cant even press the throttle more than like 60%, still does wheelies lol....but yea i'm looking into a wheelie bar....dont want to damage anything....and I will probably keep this at 50% cause I have a crazy brother in law who loves these rc cars i got into and im scared he might crash it into something.

You know what, i got into this stuff less than 2 months ago and i already have like 4 of these lol....right now I have my very first HPI RS4 MT, the WindHobby TPET 1001 4x4 (still new), the Losi xxxT, and of course my favorite the rustler.

Honestly too scared to try this brushless setup in any of the others cause I'm positive if I crash those poor little cars wont be able to take it....but this rustler can take a beating I tell...but who knows for how long lol.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 01:29 AM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
So according to that chart if i want to get 65 mph I should be looking at a 76T spur and a 31T pinion?
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:45 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,819 Posts
Yep, but that gearing on 3s is only good for really short runs or you'll overheat everything.

To be honest, I don't know why you're running it on 3s and training mode? Run less voltage and lower gearing (smaller pinion) and enjoy the full potential.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:18 AM
Registered Basher
Beaver, PA
Joined May 2008
716 Posts
Quote:
I don't know why you're running it on 3s
I think he is running 3s because that is what he owns right now.

Quote:
65 mph I should be looking at a 76T spur and a 31T pinion
but what traxxas doesnt tell you (but parsons just did) is that excessive use at 65mph will burn it all up
kistner is offline Find More Posts by kistner
Old Apr 24, 2012, 04:11 PM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
Yep, but that gearing on 3s is only good for really short runs or you'll overheat everything.

To be honest, I don't know why you're running it on 3s and training mode? Run less voltage and lower gearing (smaller pinion) and enjoy the full potential.
Yea 3s is really all I have right now....I want to get like a 6000+ mah 2s but im gonna wait for a few weeks. I have a 7.2v nimh pack I use with it as well...thats when I can use it at 100% and its still pretty quick. Actually have like 4 of those packs.

Yea no worries Im not gonna do anything insane to cause fire. I think my next upgrade will probably be a wheelie bar and a steel or aluminum spur gear...not another 83 though. I will probably go with something lower like a 76 but not gonna use anything above 27 pinion....and keep it at practice mode 50% until I get the lipo i want.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 04:15 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,819 Posts
Don't bother with a metal spur gear, it's just a waste of money IMO.

For a spur gear, if you go smaller it has the same effect as running a bigger pinion. If it's already too fast, don't get a smaller spur or bigger pinion.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 04:40 PM
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
Don't bother with a metal spur gear, it's just a waste of money IMO.

For a spur gear, if you go smaller it has the same effect as running a bigger pinion. If it's already too fast, don't get a smaller spur or bigger pinion.
So leave it at 83 spur and 27 pinion but run a 2s lipo instead? that can work I mean at 50% its already so quick i'm sure the 8.4v the 2s will put out will give it plenty of speed, add control and stability while reducing amount of heat produced with a 3s.