Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by boingk, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 08:43 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Righto, just moved the UM P-51 and from a 5 to an 8, and the UM T-28 from a 3.5 to a 6... that seems a lot more appropriate. I mean, I sure as hell wouldn't hand over a micro of any sort to anyone without at least a 4ch parkflyer under their belt!

What do you guys reckon on those ratings?

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2011, 01:42 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,681 Posts
Phoenix 2000 glider (HobbyKing) - 6

The actual flying is not terribly hard. The plane is large, visible, and relatively stable. However, the lack of dihedral means it's quite happy to travel in any direction, without righting itself, and the relatively large control surfaces make it snappier than one would imagine.

The flaps may be "optional", but without them the landing speeds are quite high.

The most complex thing about this plane is the setup and tuning. It's not trivial to glue in the servos and connect them, nor to set up flaps/crow, nor to adjust the CG.

Overall, it's not for a complete beginner, but it's a great airframe for the money. Don't buy it if you're after a quick BNF-like experience.
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Jul 03, 2011, 10:37 PM
Joined Aug 2010
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingk View Post
Righto, just moved the UM P-51 and from a 5 to an 8, and the UM T-28 from a 3.5 to a 6... that seems a lot more appropriate. I mean, I sure as hell wouldn't hand over a micro of any sort to anyone without at least a 4ch parkflyer under their belt!

Cheers - boingk
UM P-51 an "8"? If the experience here says so then I guess. I'm just coming up on a year in this hobby and am in no way do I consider myself an expert. I have said P-51 and am very comfortable flying it in light to no wind. But if it's an "8" then I'm alot better then I think I am. I'm not being sarcastic but to me that seems a bit high. But, if more agree here then disagree I'll go along with it.

bump to get it back on page one
tenspeed is offline Find More Posts by tenspeed
Old Jul 03, 2011, 11:04 PM
Old Fart
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined May 2011
170 Posts
Hi mods,

Any chance of getting this new list stickied so that Boingk can keep it up to date.

Many thanks if yes.....if no.....ummm....I'll get back to you
Bob1959 is offline Find More Posts by Bob1959
Old Jul 04, 2011, 01:16 AM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingk View Post

Cheers - boingk
shins the UM T-28 is a pussycat
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Jul 04, 2011, 01:45 AM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elios000 View Post
shins the UM T-28 is a pussycat
I haven't flown either the UM T28 or P51 so I can't really comment on either of them. One thing to keep in mind though is what's a pussycat to one person may scare the pants off other people. I fly some 100+ mph stuff and to me anything that flies in the 80 mph range is a pussycat. Perspective is everything when it comes to these ratings so I try to think about when I was learning that almost always adds a few points to any rating.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Jul 04, 2011, 04:27 AM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hance View Post
I haven't flown either the UM T28 or P51 so I can't really comment on either of them. One thing to keep in mind though is what's a pussycat to one person may scare the pants off other people. I fly some 100+ mph stuff and to me anything that flies in the 80 mph range is a pussycat. Perspective is everything when it comes to these ratings so I try to think about when I was learning that almost always adds a few points to any rating.
it flys very slow if you want it to
1/4 throttle with some up trim
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Jul 04, 2011, 04:38 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elios000 View Post
it flys very slow if you want it to
1/4 throttle with some up trim
Let's keep in mind that the scale is not linear. A 6 is not "60% as hard as the most challenging RC planes". Instead, it simply means "a good second plane".

Any lower than that, and we start implying that the T-28UM is a good first plane, which I'd personally disagree with. It's simply too small, too maneuverable and too capable of rapid rolling and direction changes. Give it to a complete beginner and it'll likely come back somewhat compacted
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Jul 04, 2011, 09:03 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Good discussion guys - this is what the threads all about!

tenspeed - You may well be better than you think, but keep in mind that the list isn't intended as a 'be all and end all' type of system. Think of it as a learning progression from true beginner to highly capable. An '8' merely reflect that you are unlikely to be able to fly this plane well unless you have 2 planes learner experience.

My recommended progression would be something like a 3ch J-3 Cub, followed by perhaps a more advanced (yet predictable and forgiving) 4ch model such as the Freewing Hellcat or Parkzone Wildcat. A possible third plane - after learning to fly on the J3 and then getting used to a low-wing plane with ailerons on the Wild/Hellcat - would then be a PKZ micro P-51 as you would have the experience neccessary to fly it without immediate disaster.

Bob1959 - Yes, sticky this please mods! The old rating thread is no longer updated and this has taken its place.

Hance - I agree, personally I find many of my planes fairly sedate yet people always seem to be wowed by their speed.

H2S04 - Thankyou for clarifying that, its exactly what I'm trying to say. My problems with the sub 6/T-28 and 8/P-51 ratings are the same as yours, and also I think simulators can't teach squat for a micro. They're small, very touchy and get blown around by the slightest breath of air. I would not feel comfortable giving them to a first timer.

Cheers all - boingk
Old Jul 04, 2011, 02:44 PM
SUPERB RC CRASH MASTER
Houston, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2004
987 Posts
Essentially agree with boingk, however the Hobbyzone Ultra Micro Champ is an exception in the UM world!

It's incredibly easy-to-fly trainer and it's rating is a mere 2.5 which makes this ultra micro VERY unique among ultra micro's.

Only Caviat: Beginners must have the patience to wait for near-windless conditions!
rc crashburn is offline Find More Posts by rc crashburn
Old Jul 04, 2011, 03:35 PM
United States, IA, Greenfield
Joined Apr 2010
582 Posts
I would say the UM P-51 is about a 6.8 and the UM T-28 is a in the middle of a 5-6.
Lilbanks96 is offline Find More Posts by Lilbanks96
Old Jul 04, 2011, 08:17 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc crashburn View Post
Essentially agree with boingk, however the Hobbyzone Ultra Micro Champ is an exception in the UM world!

It's incredibly easy-to-fly trainer and it's rating is a mere 2.5 which makes this ultra micro VERY unique among ultra micro's.

Only Caviat: Beginners must have the patience to wait for near-windless conditions!
For sure, there are a few planes out there of small size that are suitable for beginners. Personally I love the kinda 'cartoonish' style small planes, but the scale ones are brill as well.

Stevens Aero is a good example of a kit manufacturer that has great small learner planes. I try to teach people to fly on their Quick Oats 100 kit as it is virtually impossible to crash after only basic instruction, and recovers from almost any attitude - great for teaching basic loops and Immelmans!

Cheers - boingk
Old Jul 05, 2011, 07:51 PM
Arrowhead
Joined Dec 2010
1,197 Posts
Noticed a couple of things...

- Parkzone P51 seems to have more than one entry (slightly different names & ratings)

- There's a PZ Spitfire listed... I'm gonna guess this is the old one?

Also, I don't see the PZ Mosquito... any idea where it would land (pun not totally unintended)?
CF105 is offline Find More Posts by CF105
Old Jul 06, 2011, 03:42 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Yeah the P-51 was released by Parkzone in a few versions from what I can tell. Not sure if they are distinct versions or not so if anyone knows please advise me so I can fix it up.

The Spitfire, I suspect, is the old one.

The PZ Ultra Micro Mosquito is apparently about on par with the UM T-28, although it has a fair bit more thrust and authority in the air as its got the twin engines. Its also a bit more stable in the air as its slightly heavier. This is all going from what I've ehard others say about it.

Cheers - boingk
Old Jul 08, 2011, 06:54 PM
Just throw it up!
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jul 2011
1,333 Posts
What about the Fms/airfield Cessna 182 1400mm? Anyone got a rating for it?
Merlin Power is offline Find More Posts by Merlin Power